Started by geezer butler, July 19, 2014, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on January 15, 2018, 08:44:12 PM

Psycho Circus: Triple Feature - Blu-Ray, 2017

Contains the following three films:

The Creeping Flesh - (1973) - Color - 94 minutes Rated PG
Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing

A Victorian-age scientist returns to London with his paleontological bag-of-bones discovery from Papua New Guinea. Unfortunately, when exposed to water, flesh returns to the bones unleashing a malevolent being on the scientist's family and friends.

Brotherhood of Satan - (1971) - Color - 92 minutes - Rated PG
Strother Martin, L.Q. Jones, Charles Bateman, Ahna Capri

A family is trapped in a desert town by a cult of senior-citizens who recruit the town's children to worship Satan.

Torture Garden - (1967) - Color - 93 minutes Not Rated
Jack Palance, Burgess Meredith, Peter Cushing, Robert Hutton

An anthology of four short horror stories about people who visit Dr. Diabolo's fairground haunted-house attraction show.

I just ordered this and have not received it yet.  I mention it here because Amazon currently has it on sale for just $7.88.  Not a bad price for three movies on Blu-Ray.

https://tinyurl.com/ybvd7ld7

The film reviews are mixed, but everyone seems to like the Blu-Ray transfers.

I have this disc and I was thrilled to get it. As a kid I loved Torture Garden. Think Tales from the Crypt / Vault of Horror. Burgess Meredith is great in it. I would have bought it for that movie alone.

Mike Scott

Got the new K&L collection in the mail.

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

LugosiFan25

"....flying saucers? You mean the kind from up there?"

Mike Scott

Is there supposed to be any further improvement in the Flicker Alley HUNCHBACK, over previous releases?  I have the Image "Ultimate Edition".
CREATURE FAN

LugosiFan25

Not sure. Every other version I have are crappy PD releases. This release looked pretty amazing to me when I watched it last night.

Mike Scott

I'll see if I can find some reviews.
CREATURE FAN

LugosiFan25

Mike Scott

I watched a minute of this online. Even this latest restoration still looks like it's raining through the whole movie. I guess we'll never get rid of that. Still, it looks pretty darn good, compared to what we've been watching for most of our lives. Don't know if I'll get this one, or just stick with the Image restoration?

Quote from: LugosiFan25 on February 08, 2018, 10:12:11 PM

CREATURE FAN

LugosiFan25

Quote from: Mike Scott on February 19, 2018, 09:58:45 PM
I watched a minute of this online. Even this latest restoration still looks like it's raining through the whole movie. I guess we'll never get rid of that. Still, it looks pretty darn good, compared to what we've been watching for most of our lives. Don't know if I'll get this one, or just stick with the Image restoration?

From what I understand (and don't quote me on this) I think most, if not all, surviving versions of the film are sourced from a 16 mm print that was used for home showings. And I don't think that was in the best of shape either, so that is probably why it appears that way.

I noticed that rainy effect on my previously purchased versions of the film, but this one was markedly improved.

Mike Scott

Quote from: LugosiFan25 on February 20, 2018, 07:16:52 PM
I noticed that rainy effect on my previously purchased versions of the film, but this one was markedly improved.

Probably the best we'll ever get.

Another thing to do, if I ever get that time machine.  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Gory Glenn

Finally replaced my DVD of TCM with the Blu-ray. I think this disc was originally part of a 2 disc set as the only extras are 4 commentaries. What blew me away though was the surround sound audio options on this disc. I couldn't believe the separation they got out of a mono sound track. I cannot overstate this. I've purchased other movies where they attempted to do this but this one was amazing. Audio options are 7.1 DTS, 5.1 DTS, Stereo and original Mono. I listened to the 5.1 audio and was amazed! Picture is a 4K restoration which looks good but still has an amount of grain which I'm sure is unavoidable with this film. Colors are nice and bright though. If you have a surround system this is a must buy especially at 9 bucks on Amazon.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Gory Glenn on February 21, 2018, 06:21:20 PM
Finally replaced my DVD of TCM with the Blu-ray. I think this disc was originally part of a 2 disc set as the only extras are 4 commentaries. ... 

Yeah.

You gotta watch that when "upgrading" to Blu-Ray.  Some of the best DVD extras are not carried over to the Blu-Ray editions.  I always compare them closely.  If the old DVD had a better commentary track or an extra disc of extras, I put the whole works in a new 2 or 3 disc holder and include a note about where to find the best features.

One good example is the Blu-Ray of "Halloween".  The DVD version has a very informative commentary by the director, John Carpenter and the producer, Debra Hill.  The Blu-Ray version does not have Hill (I think they divorced during the interim, she died, and rights were not re-secured from her heirs), and the commentary is awful.  Needless to say, I kept the DVD for when I want to indulge myself in that background material.

Just sayin'.
ADAM

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

the Blue ray is difficult to track down, but I found used DVD copy.

2018-02-24_05-10-59 by geezer2014, on Flickr