Latest DVDs & BDs in My Collection

Started by geezer butler, July 19, 2014, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Anton Phibes on August 18, 2015, 07:36:03 PM
Some folks discuss dvds as if those who buy them are C.H.U.D.s. or something. ;D I have suits older than the dvd format. I aint gonna live forever. So, I gotta decide what I wanna spend my money on while I am still breathing. Upgrading a massive dvd collection to blu ray aint one of them.

Find London After Midnight.... and put that on Blu ray. That'll make everybody happy,lol. 8)

I don't feel that way at all. Usually I upgrade from a DVD when it's warranted. Like the original Good Times DVD of Halloween III looks terrible on an a large screen HD TV because we only had tube SD TV's when that disc was released and it was fine for that. The other times I'll upgrade is when they give us something we didn't get in the DVD version, like "From Beyond" was restored to it's original content before the MPAA made them chop out a bunch of stuff to get an R rating. There's no way I would replace all my DVD's as it is entirely cost prohibitive.

horrorhunter

I'm happy with my DVDs for the most part. I have a few BDs but there has to be a good reason for me to upgrade... like the uncut version of Vault Of Horror, or good deals on the Fulci Collection and Argento Collection. I also upgraded to the 3-disc The Beyond from Grindhouse for the extra stuff and cool CD. And, any monster fan is nuts not to have the UniMon Essentials Collection. I also have the Horror Express BD because I love that movie and only had a dozen copies of it on PD purgatory compilations. Very nice to see it complete and shiny. Hell, I even bought Barbarella on BD because I didn't have it and it was almost as cheap as the DVD. No way I would ever upgrade everything... TOO MUCH MONSTER MONEY. My DVDs suffice.

I probably won't buy the new Hammer DVD set. That was cranked out to capitalize on the passing of Sir Christopher and it doesn't look like much of an improvement over what we have. And the reason we never see Hammer films released in sets the way we want them is because so many different companies own the rights. Those gems will always be strewn about chaotically it seems.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Gory Glenn on August 18, 2015, 07:49:39 PM
I don't feel that way at all. Usually I upgrade from a DVD when it's warranted. Like the original Good Times DVD of Halloween III looks terrible on an a large screen HD TV because we only had tube SD TV's when that disc was released and it was fine for that. The other times I'll upgrade is when they give us something we didn't get in the DVD version, like "From Beyond" was restored to it's original content before the MPAA made them chop out a bunch of stuff to get an R rating. There's no way I would replace all my DVD's as it is entirely cost prohibitive.

I didnt mean you, Glenn. I have a circle of friends who seem to excoriate me relentlessly until I jump on the upgrade bandwagon. It gets old. I figure most of us on the board have ran into this type of badgering. Heck---I still have a couple vhs tapes around,lol.

horrorhunter

Got these today from Amazon, along with that Monster Mash book.

Haven't seen a couple of these. Looks like fun.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Memphremagog

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 18, 2015, 09:40:44 PM

Haven't seen a couple of these. Looks like fun.

I got these myself about a month ago; lots of great viewing there! Really nice selections for a couple of sets and well-worth the cheap price. :)
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Mike Scott

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 18, 2015, 09:40:44 PM

Already have everything on the Sci-Fi one, except VALLEY. Also have FIVE and am not that crazy about the others on that set.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wormwood

Recent Horrors (out of 5 *'s):

The Witch - **1/2
Alien - *****
The Invisible Man - *****

Gory Glenn

Alerting Mike! Release date 9/15/15! Only $6.99!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011PS50W8?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p74_d1_i17

HE COMES FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!

BASED ON SCIENTIFIC FACTS!

SHOCK-FULL OF THRILLS!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES!

From the pen of the legendary Curt Siodmak (The Wolf Man, Donovan's Brain) and director Edward L. Cahn (It! The Terror From Beyond Space) comes this smash-bang thriller starring Richard Denning (Creature From The Black Lagoon) as a police doctor hot on the trail of a mob boss who's hired an ex-Nazi scientist to re-animate his dead thugs to do more dirty work!

Mord

I had no idea about Mike Scott's previous career as a horror star!

Monsters For Sale

"6oth Anniversary Series"?

What is that all about?  Is it a line of films that are 60 years old?
ADAM

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 19, 2015, 05:29:01 PM

What is that all about?  Is it a line of films that are 60 years old?

Yup, released in 1955. 2015 - 1955 = 60.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 19, 2015, 05:29:01 PM

I looked on the MILLCREEK website and they have a lot of movies with "(pick a number) Anniversary Series" on the box. So he "series" is any movie having an anniversary.

I already have ATOM BRAIN in the Sam Katzman set.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Gory Glenn

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on August 19, 2015, 06:02:36 PM
I looked on the MILLCREEK website and they have a lot of movies with "(pick a number) Anniversary Series" on the box. So he "series" is any movie having an anniversary.

I already have ATOM BRAIN in the Sam Katzman set.
Millcreek? I don't know about this series, but most of the Millcreek DVDs I've seen are of terrible quality. The picture is always fuzzy & faded. I guess it could be me that's fuzzy & faded.

Mord

Quote from: Gory Glenn on August 19, 2015, 06:03:49 PM
I don't see you here Mike!  :)

Mike is Dr. Steigg. It's hard to recognize him with the hat & beer in his face.