Latest DVDs & BDs in My Collection

Started by geezer butler, July 19, 2014, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 14, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I saw "Trog" in the theater as a kid too. I wasn't lucky enough to see it with "Taste the Blood of Dracula", though. It was in a Saturday matinee on a double feature where "Trog" was the main event (believe it or not). It was goofy fun. I haven't seen it since. Glenn, don't hold your breath for a Blu-Ray, even "(Horror of) Dracula" hasn't been released on BR in this country. No respect for monster kids. :'(

When I saw it Taste the Blood of Dracula was the main feature. Last night I sat down and watched Trog and Taste the Blood of Dracula in a row to duplicate my childhood experience. Except this time I had a beer instead of a soda. :)

Mord

Quote from: Gory Glenn on August 14, 2015, 07:51:53 PM
When I saw it Taste the Blood of Dracula was the main feature. Last night I sat down and watched Trog and Taste the Blood of Dracula in a row to duplicate my childhood experience. Except this time I had a beer instead of a soda. :)
You mean you didn't sneak a beer down your pants in the old days? I'm a little disappointed in young Glenn, haha. Hey, on the subject of fun '70s movies...you've seen "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, right? It's a really cool, early zombie flick. I'm pretty sure they have a restored Blu-Ray version out.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 14, 2015, 07:57:24 PM
You mean you didn't sneak a beer down your pants in the old days? I'm a little disappointed in young Glenn, haha. Hey, on the subject of fun '70s movies...you've seen "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, right? It's a really cool, early zombie flick. I'm pretty sure they have a restored Blu-Ray version out.

I have the DVD under the title of "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie". Same movie. A good, creepy Spanish zombie film. The Blu Ray uses "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" title. Haven't upgraded that one yet. It will take a long time and a lot of money to upgrade all the horror movies I own to Blu Ray.

Mord

Yeah, I still have the DVD you have. I'm not much on upgrading. Every time I do, they come up with a new format to soak our money (or a new "Ultimate" edition). I'm tired of playing that game.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 14, 2015, 08:29:43 PM
Yeah, I still have the DVD you have. I'm not much on upgrading. Every time I do, they come up with a new format to soak our money (or a new "Ultimate" edition). I'm tired of playing that game.

I hear that! I usually only do it for my very favorite titles or if it's a movie I don't already have then I'll buy the Blu Ray.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Gory Glenn on August 14, 2015, 08:15:27 PM
I have the DVD under the title of "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie". Same movie. A good, creepy Spanish zombie film. The Blu Ray uses "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" title. Haven't upgraded that one yet. It will take a long time and a lot of money to upgrade all the horror movies I own to Blu Ray.
I still have the Blue Underground DVD and I'm in no hurry to upgrade either. That is some excellent Eurohorror BTW. Grau also directed Legend Of Blood Castle which is great if you like '70s Eurohorror (which I love). I pick and choose about upgrades, and spend the money I save by not doing blanket upgrades wisely...on MONSTER STUFF.  ;D

You have to be careful, sometimes just buying something on Blu isn't much of an upgrade at all. It all depends on what it's sourced from and what was done to restore it. Also, they don't always include all of the extras from the DVD releases. I have some DVD releases that are superior to the BD release for one reason or another. I always do some research before I upgrade. There are many review sites on the 'net. Here's a good one:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/index.htm
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Gory Glenn

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 14, 2015, 09:23:57 PM
I still have the Blue Underground DVD and I'm in no hurry to upgrade either. That is some excellent Eurohorror BTW. Grau also directed Legend Of Blood Castle which is great if you like '70s Eurohorror (which I love). I pick and choose about upgrades, and spend the money I save by not doing blanket upgrades wisely...on MONSTER STUFF.  ;D

You have to be careful, sometimes just buying something on Blu isn't much of an upgrade at all. It all depends on what it's sourced from and what was done to restore it. Also, they don't always include all of the extras from the DVD releases. I have some DVD releases that are superior to the BD release for one reason or another. I always do some research before I upgrade. There are many review sites on the 'net. Here's a good one:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/index.htm

I love Euro Horror too. Another favorite is "Cemetery Man". I had a huge crush on Anna Falchi. Get a load of the European Blu Ray Cover. Yowza!!  :o

I totally hear you on what to upgrade and do careful research before I do. A good example is the latest Blu Ray release of "Day of the Dead" by Scream Factory. I already have the Anchor Bay release in all forms. Standard DVD, DIVAMAX DVD and Blu Ray so I was hesitant about the Scream Factory release. Turns out it's missing some of the extras of the Anchor Bay release so they created their own 90 documentary to make up for the missing extras. Point being it will not replace the previous AB release. Scream Factory does some impressive stuff though. Their Halloween III release is great and I just picked up their new release of Stuart Gordons' "From Beyond" where all the deleted scenes removed by the MPAA for an R rating are restored. Looking forward to watching that. Thanks for the dvddrive-in tip.

Mord

Thanks for the heads up, Glenn. I only have the "Day of the Dead" Divamax DVD, but that looked fine to me. It had nice extras and cool packaging (not to mention that uber-nice booklet). You just saved me twenty bucks that will go straight into my Monsterpalooza piggy bank.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 14, 2015, 10:36:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Glenn. I only have the "Day of the Dead" Divamax DVD, but that looked fine to me. It had nice extras and cool packaging (not to mention that uber-nice booklet). You just saved me twenty bucks that will go straight into my Monsterpalooza piggy bank.

My pleasure.  :) The Anchor Bay DIVAMAX DVD is really nice. The AB Blu Ray is basically the DIVAMAX version content without the fancy packaging and booklet.

horrorhunter

Quote from: Gory Glenn on August 14, 2015, 09:43:51 PM
I love Euro Horror too. Another favorite is "Cemetery Man". I had a huge crush on Anna Falchi. Get a load of the European Blu Ray Cover. Yowza!!  :o

Some Anna for us to drool over.  Zombie Shocked

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Gory Glenn

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 14, 2015, 10:49:28 PM
Some Anna for us to drool over.  Zombie Shocked

You just rebooted my Anna crush all over again. Those panties are quite revealing.  I'm in love.  :-* I know what I'm watching tonight.  ;D

Mord

There's nothing quite like a camel toe to rekindle an old flame. I'm getting a little teary-eyed now.

Gory Glenn

Wound up popping on this one because of the all new 85 minute documentary "The Making of Day of the Dead". Really good stuff as just about every actor who had a speaking part in the movie had something to contribute as well as some of the actors who played the lead zombies. What surprised me most is that George said this is his favorite of the "Dead" films and his second favorite is "Survival". He said he's waiting for everyone to catch up with "Survival" in the same way it took fans a while to warm up to "Day". I thought for sure his #2 favorite would have been "Dawn". Very enlightening.

The new collectors edition of "From Beyond" is outstanding as it replaces all the cuts that the MPAA had them remove to avoid an X rating. As Stuart Gordon says in one of the featurettes this is the way the movie was meant to be seen. This film also had a way bigger budget than "Re-Animator" and the special effects shots really show where that money went. I think this movie is right up there with "Re-Animator". Great horror movie! I'm becoming a big fan of these Shout / Scream Factory releases.

Mord

Funny, "Survival" is most people's least favorite (including my own). I know that he looked at "Dawn" from a technical standpoint. Many involved felt that the zombie make-up wasn't as good as it could be and that the budget was too small. Those things are positives to me. You really can't have perfection during a zombie apocalypse.

Gory Glenn

Quote from: Mord on August 17, 2015, 04:56:39 PM
Funny, "Survival" is most people's least favorite (including my own). I know that he looked at "Dawn" from a technical standpoint. Many involved felt that the zombie make-up wasn't as good as it could be and that the budget was too small. Those things are positives to me. You really can't have perfection during a zombie apocalypse.

What I find interesting about "Dawn" and "Day" is that the biggest star of these films are the location. For "Dawn" it's the Mall and for "Day" it's the Mines. What a great title for a documentary, "The Mall and the Mines".  :) The mines were discussed at length in the new "Day" Blu Ray. They were in there for months so health and depression problems were an issue. There's a mini featurette where they revisited the mines today. Cool stuff.