1000 members

Started by LUCKMANN, November 14, 2008, 12:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Quote from: Scatter on August 14, 2013, 02:04:01 AM
I'm against purging the membership rolls based solely on the fact that we might have lost Char if we did that!!

BUT .. if she knew that she had to publish .. err ... post or perish .. would she have delighted everyone sooner with her posts?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

horrorhunter

Quote from: Scatter on August 14, 2013, 02:02:03 AM
He's the Official UMA Anal Probe.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's a psychological need to take an opposing viewpoint. Even when I complimented him on "stirring things up to keep them interesting", he immediately said that he was getting carried away and had to reign himself in. :laugh:

I'm sure there's a psycho-babble term for that....uhhhh, Anal Probe will do. :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 13, 2013, 11:24:15 PM
I'd like to hear the moderators chime in on this.

I guess all I can say is, don't post anything on the internet that you don't want the whole world to read.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

charp13

If I had been purged, I would have just lurked into everyone's dreams- like Freddy Krueger!
I actually looked back a couple of pages to see how anal probe came into the conversation... I'm glad to see that it was not how I thought it went down!     :)

Flower

Quote from: charp13 on August 14, 2013, 02:56:26 AM
If I had been purged, I would have just lurked into everyone's dreams- like Freddy Krueger!
I actually looked back a couple of pages to see how anal probe came into the conversation... I'm glad to see that it was not how I thought it went down!     :)

I'm not going to check but why not (after all aren't lollipops given out for your first post?) give free anal probes to people who lurk for hours a day on any forum where you don't have to log in to see the posts?  ;)

Paranoid or not .. an ounce of prevention .. We're a family here and it's like having crazy cousins who come to family dinners and sit in the corner .. watching but never saying a word and when they leave .. there is always something 'missing' or broken.

That's why I keep things on the internet anonymous .. no social networks, no location, birthday .. etc.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Toy Ranch

It would take quite a bit on the software end to make a change like that.  As it is now, all members are members and have the same permissions. To restrict the Members Only forum to a certain post count would mean dividing members into two membergroups.  One being members, and the other being posting members or something.  It's easy to create, but from what I can see the division would be manual, which means very time consuming. There may be a script to make it easier, but sometimes running those can expose the whole forum to security risks.

And really, does it make anyone more trustworthy if they post one or 50 times in a game thread or something?  I worry that we would be setting up a false sense of security by doing that.  As Mike says, don't post anything on the internet you don't mind the whole world seeing.  The Members Only forum keeps results from being indexed into search engines. That does afford a certain level of privacy, but it's hard to say that restricting it to posting members would afford more security or privacy.  Someone who had malicious intent could still access it without revealing their intent, and if people felt more secure they might be more forthcoming with personal details that can be exploited.

We've not had an instance that I'm aware of where anyone has abused their Members Only access, other than some of the repro scans posted there have turned up as items for sale on eBay.  That is somewhat contemptible of course, but it's not like anyone can stop it from happening.  As far as personal information/photos posted there, there are so many readily available online these days that it would be extremely odd for anyone to single out the UMA as a target.  It's harder to do on the UMA than in many other places, and we don't present a likely target.  If this were the "supermodel naked photo sharing forum" it would be a totally different dynamic.

Flower

Quote from: Toy Ranch on August 14, 2013, 12:12:46 PM
It would take quite a bit on the software end to make a change like that.

That's all that I need to know .. no problem.

Btw ~ We've all have different histories posting, both positive and negative.  I've been 'warned' since the 90's to be careful about lurkers.  Again, no problem and nothing changes. It's sort of like 'not taking candy from strangers' or getting into cars with people that you don't know.

Things can go too far .. My friend's children were taught from a very early age, NOT to get into cars with anyone other than family.  One day the little girl was about six years old and walking home when the skies opened up and a women neighbor who lived several houses down told the little girl to get into the car and that she would drive her home.  The girl knew the neighbor but was 'trained' on how to act and started crying and yelling for the police.  My friends apologized to the neighbor.  This is sort of my gut reaction to lurkers.   8)

Hepcat

Quote from: Toy Ranch on August 14, 2013, 12:12:46 PMIf this were the "supermodel naked photo sharing forum" it would be a totally different dynamic.

Great idea! Will the new sub-forum be under "Non-Monster Toys" or "Members Only"?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Flower on August 14, 2013, 02:13:38 PM

Btw ~ We've all have different histories posting, both positive and negative.  I've been 'warned' since the 90's to be careful about lurkers.

Since the 90's, have you had or do you know of anyone who had a problem with a lurker?

charp13

My kids always told me that you can find any information you want- about anyone- on the internet. So I figured that I will follow that advice about not posting anything you don't want the whole world to see, and if someone shows up at my house- I'll make them a sandwich. I can't even remember half the things I've posted, but I've matured since I've been on the UMA and I think I'm a lot more sophisticated then I was 5 years ago. In fact, I never mentioned to anyone that 2 weeks ago I was determined to clear out the remaining Rubbermaid containers of old toys in my garage, and while I was soaking the 25+ years of dust/grime off of them- I fell backwards into the stupid bathtub ( that we never use) and landed on 15-20 My Little Pony toys and ended up with a giant bruise all up my back.  I told my daughter- who needs to come and collect the MLPs- and all she had to say was,  "were you wearing clothes?"
OF COURSE I WAS! But she didn't even seemed concerned that the Pony heads & hooves could have resulted in my death. But what a sweeeet obituary that would have been....

Flower

Quote from: Toy Ranch on August 14, 2013, 02:33:28 PM
Since the 90's, have you had or do you know of anyone who had a problem with a lurker?

Yes .. both others and myself. It's like all the viruses that are sent out .. some will escape 'virus protection' and cause harm. Others are harmless.

There are many types of stalking ... and lurking can be considered one type.

I just made a suggestion and the fact that it would cause software problems and/or allow spammers is understandable.

Flower

Quote from: charp13 on August 14, 2013, 03:05:17 PM
My kids always told me that you can find any information you want- about anyone- on the internet. So I figured that I will follow that advice about not posting anything you don't want the whole world to see, and if someone shows up at my house- I'll make them a sandwich. I can't even remember half the things I've posted, but I've matured since I've been on the UMA and I think I'm a lot more sophisticated then I was 5 years ago. In fact, I never mentioned to anyone that 2 weeks ago I was determined to clear out the remaining Rubbermaid containers of old toys in my garage, and while I was soaking the 25+ years of dust/grime off of them- I fell backwards into the stupid bathtub ( that we never use) and landed on 15-20 My Little Pony toys and ended up with a giant bruise all up my back.  I told my daughter- who needs to come and collect the MLPs- and all she had to say was,  "were you wearing clothes?"
OF COURSE I WAS! But she didn't even seemed concerned that the Pony heads & hooves could have resulted in my death. But what a sweeeet obituary that would have been....

Maybe you should turn in your 'stupid bathtub (that you never use) for a smart one that you will use.   ;)

I hope that you didn't hurt any of the MLPs .. you didn't tell the most important part of the story.

charp13

Flower- The MLPs were all fine. The big ol' square tub is fiberglass, so the ponies that were trapped between my back & the bathtub just sort of mashed down and popped back into shape. I was facing away from the tub when I lost my balance. I was sitting on the edge, pivoting to pick up individual ponies & shaking the water out of them. It scared me though! It was my first "old person" falling accident.

Flower

You're not old! We all fall or trip from time to time. 

All kiddng aside if you don't like your tub, there are plenty of options ... MAXX has some great tubs ... http://www.maax.com/en/main%20navigation/bathtubs/installation/drop-in.aspx?&parentCode=BATH&InstallationType=Dropin ... so if you don't like your tub, it can always be changed .. Of course, there are better things to spend money on ...   8)

The most important thing is that  you and all the MLPs are safe ..  ;D

Scatter

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 14, 2013, 02:30:55 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's a psychological need to take an opposing viewpoint. Even when I complimented him on "stirring things up to keep them interesting", he immediately said that he was getting carried away and had to reign himself in. :laugh:

I'm sure there's a psycho-babble term for that....uhhhh, Anal Probe will do. :laugh:

Mord is one of my favorite ghouls on this site.............smart AND a smartass. An unbeatable combo!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html