NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH

Started by Toy Ranch, April 21, 2014, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aura of foreboding

carbon

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 28, 2014, 01:57:36 PM
While it's perfectly fine to archive stuff via the Wayback Machine, we have repeatedly said since the very beginning that monster content will be saved. Not every mention of a monster in a non-monster thread, but monster stuff is not going away.

Also, some other non-monster toys threads, and of course Nutty Mads, Roth, etc.  These questions have been asked and answered a number of times, and consistently we have said they will be saved.

You can find that thread in archived version with some of the artwork missing, or you can find it here, in complete state:
http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=21417.0

It has indeed been repeatedly stated that monster content will remain, but all the while it's been repeatedly debated exactly what constitutes monster content. The Kong vs. Frank thread seemed certain enough to qualify for inclusion, yet still there were rumblings after its disappearance over whether it would return. Easy remedy to end the rumblings: just archive the damn thing and be done with it. Took less time to archive it than it would have taken anyone to write a post inquiring about its future.

Bigbud's Give Me a Gun... thread is another matter. The thread has nothing to do with monsters; it's devoted to toy guns. Yet it has the word "Monster" in the title. No point spending time mourning its possible loss — just archive it and don't give it another thought.

The whole point of encouraging folks to simply archive the threads they were concerned would be lost was to quell some of the drama. And I'm not so sure it's gonna reduce much of the drama by suggesting that it was unnecessary to archive one of the thread's because after the fact it has reappeared. So I'll still stick to the same advice: When in doubt, archive...and get on with your lives! Of course the belief that some of the drama can be reduced is a pipe dream...I hope I can be forgiven if I'm starting to think of this place as the Universal Drama Army. :laugh:

As far as the notion that images will be lost with the archived files, I opened both the UMA and archive.org versions of the Kong vs. Frank thread and looked at them side by side. No images were lost in the archived version. In fact it had an additional image: the now defunct General Discussion logo! So I opened the archived version in a different browser. Again all of the images were present. I then opened it in a third browser. Aha! Some of the images didn't load. So apparently this is a browser issue rather than archive.org's failure to fully archive the thread. Not terribly surprising, really, since even unarchived webpages can sometimes fail to display images properly in different browsers.

There are a couple of shortcomings with the archive.org web files. Embedded videos won't play; or not for me, anyway. And the pages don't load quite as quickly as the original pages did. This last point could be a matter of life or death if, say, a werewolf is breaking down your door and you need to quickly consult an archived UMA page to find out if it was garlic, a crucifix or a silver bullet that's supposed to offer protection against a werewolf. True-blue monster kids should already know the answer to this, but the stress of the moment could play havoc with anyone's memory.

Toy Ranch

Universalrocks

Sorry to post this here but some way I got logged out of the UMA site, that I use through my lap top. I forgot my password and have entered my email for a reset at least a dozen times. But I'am not getting sent a reset email. Will someone in charge look into this. I don't want to be trapped forever using Taptalk. Once again sorry to post this here, but could not figure out how to email the admin from the Taptalk app. Once again sorry to post this here. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Universalrocks on April 29, 2014, 03:43:31 AM
Sorry to post this hear but some way I got logged out of the UMA site, that I use through my lap top. I forgot my password and have entered my email for a reset at least a dozen times. But I'am not getting sent a reset email. Will someone in charge look into this. I don't want to be trapped forever using Taptalk. Once again sorry to posy this here, but could not figure out how to email the admin from the Taptalk app. Once again sorry to post this here. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Universalrocks, that is a known issue we are trying to fix, but has so far eluded us. I reset your password and sent you a PM

Scatter

Quote from: carbon on April 29, 2014, 03:23:25 AM
It has indeed been repeatedly stated that monster content will remain, but all the while it's been repeatedly debated exactly what constitutes monster content. The Kong vs. Frank thread seemed certain enough to qualify for inclusion, yet still there were rumblings after its disappearance over whether it would return. Easy remedy to end the rumblings: just archive the damn thing and be done with it. Took less time to archive it than it would have taken anyone to write a post inquiring about its future.

Bigbud's Give Me a Gun... thread is another matter. The thread has nothing to do with monsters; it's devoted to toy guns. Yet it has the word "Monster" in the title. No point spending time mourning its possible loss — just archive it and don't give it another thought.

The whole point of encouraging folks to simply archive the threads they were concerned would be lost was to quell some of the drama. And I'm not so sure it's gonna reduce much of the drama by suggesting that it was unnecessary to archive one of the thread's because after the fact it has reappeared. So I'll still stick to the same advice: When in doubt, archive...and get on with your lives! Of course the belief that some of the drama can be reduced is a pipe dream...I hope I can be forgiven if I'm starting to think of this place as the Universal Drama Army. :laugh:

As far as the notion that images will be lost with the archived files, I opened both the UMA and archive.org versions of the Kong vs. Frank thread and looked at them side by side. No images were lost in the archived version. In fact it had an additional image: the now defunct General Discussion logo! So I opened the archived version in a different browser. Again all of the images were present. I then opened it in a third browser. Aha! Some of the images didn't load. So apparently this is a browser issue rather than archive.org's failure to fully archive the thread. Not terribly surprising, really, since even unarchived webpages can sometimes fail to display images properly in different browsers.

There are a couple of shortcomings with the archive.org web files. Embedded videos won't play; or not for me, anyway. And the pages don't load quite as quickly as the original pages did. This last point could be a matter of life or death if, say, a werewolf is breaking down your door and you need to quickly consult an archived UMA page to find out if it was garlic, a crucifix or a silver bullet that's supposed to offer protection against a werewolf. True-blue monster kids should already know the answer to this, but the stress of the moment could play havoc with anyone's memory.

Thanks for showing us the way!! Will you be our leader?
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

carbon

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 29, 2014, 03:42:35 AM

Alright, wiseguy, you had that image ready and were just waiting for the opportunity to use it -- admit it! Be grateful I made it easy for you!

Anyway, funny stuff. :laugh:

carbon

Quote from: Scatter on April 29, 2014, 04:29:13 AM
Thanks for showing us the way!! Will you be our leader?

You mean King Moderator? Sounds enticing. Depends though. How much does the gig pay?

Anton Phibes

Quote from: carbon on April 29, 2014, 04:43:28 AM
You mean King Moderator? Sounds enticing. Depends though. How much does the gig pay?

A big ole goosegg. It not made of gold either,lol. >:D

Elisabeth

Quote from: Scatter on April 28, 2014, 11:05:25 PM
Thanks Bobby! I hadn't considered Photobucket eventually deleting Mark's pics.......which of course they will. Appreciate the heads-up!

I saved a few of my fav pictures, too, Scatter.  I didn't know Mark anywhere near as long or as well as the rest of you, and yet he made me
feel as if we'd known each other FOREVER.  Some shots of his artwork and of him modeling ....and a "headshot".

The man was "Aces"!

"E" ededed
"....I do hope he won't upset Henry..."

Toy Ranch

Quote from: carbon on April 29, 2014, 04:42:04 AM
Alright, wiseguy, you had that image ready and were just waiting for the opportunity to use it -- admit it! Be grateful I made it easy for you!

Anyway, funny stuff. :laugh:

Sort of...   it's a product I carry in my store, so it's always front-of-mind.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Elisabeth on April 29, 2014, 08:13:35 AM

I saved a few of my fav pictures, too, Scatter.  I didn't know Mark anywhere near as long or as well as the rest of you, and yet he made me
feel as if we'd known each other FOREVER.  Some shots of his artwork and of him modeling ....and a "headshot".

The man was "Aces"!

"E" ededed

Mark was probably the best dude we ever had at the UMA.  We all miss him greatly. 

Mord

I just discovered this thread (I usually stick to the movies & toys sections) and I really can't believe how heated things have gotten here. I got a headache just trying to catch up. Can't we al just hug it out & talk about our collections & what great (or lousy) movie we just saw? I think I'll go back to the other threads now for a while to get my blood pressure down. 

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Toy Ranch on April 29, 2014, 11:47:17 AM
Mark was probably the best dude we ever had at the UMA.  We all miss him greatly.
I still want to create a UMA-exclusive memorabilia item for him. Right, now the top choice seems to be trading cards.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on April 29, 2014, 07:02:42 PM
I just discovered this thread (I usually stick to the movies & toys sections) and I really can't believe how heated things have gotten here. I got a headache just trying to catch up. Can't we al just hug it out & talk about our collections & what great (or lousy) movie we just saw? I think I'll go back to the other threads now for a while to get my blood pressure down.

I think at this point..... everyone needs a hug. ;D.  Maybe some cake, too?
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."