NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH

Started by Toy Ranch, April 21, 2014, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on April 21, 2014, 09:34:21 PM
I do know that when the UMA changed from its old Yahoo format to this one, I was so upset I almost quit.

I remember!

I'm sure I will have a better understanding of what the new changes mean after I have thought about them at least as long as the moderators must have before they announced them.

It's basically just going back to the way it was a couple of years ago.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Wich2

"I am a slow walker - but I never walk back..."
- A. Lincoln

Hepcat

Quote from: Wich2 on April 21, 2014, 08:53:56 PMIs just, "Here's my new toy!", followed by a chorus of, "Wow - that's neat!" a nutritious diet over time?

Why do you think the members who have seen dozens, hundreds or even thousands of their previous posts vanish into the ether will be eager to post any more of their experiences or pictures? I was asked last week where I got my Ph.D in psychology. I was going to reply that 99% of psychology is common sense, and common sense tells me that once you've seen previous posts of yours deleted, you're attitude to making any more will be "Why bother? They sure didn't care two bits for what I posted yesterday." Do you really think that someone like myself will happily continue to post scans of Vampirella magazines tomorrow when the Sea Devils scans he posted yesterday were deleted?

First reactions, like first impressions can often be wrong.

I'm reading very clearly that entire sections of this board which include thousands of my posts will be deleted on April 27th. Do I have a reading or comprehension problem?

Quote from: Mike Scott on April 21, 2014, 09:40:18 PMIt's basically just going back to the way it was a couple of years ago.

Yes, technically you're correct. Two years ago I hadn't made all these thousands of posts. Do you really think I'll be happy to see the clock set back to when I hadn't made them? Do you not think all the wasted effort might not bother me just a tad?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

Quote from: Wich2 on April 21, 2014, 10:19:23 PM
"I am a slow walker - but I never walk back..."
- A. Lincoln

Must have taken him a looong time to get home!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Zackuth

I'm with Monsters For Sale, I'm not going to make a knee-jerk reaction to this.  There are things non-monster I'll miss, but I want to see how the new changes are before I voice an opinion.
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Monsters For Sale

It hasn't been 24 hours yet, it's not too late to re-name this thread:

The 27th Day
ADAM

Scary Terry

I'll be sorry to see a lot of the non-monster stuff go. While the main focus here has always been monsters, I've loved seeing what other stuff my fellow monster fans collect, reading about what movies and music they like, etc. It's easy enough to ignore the non-monster threads if you choose -- but I found them a great way to get to know the folks here, and share a lot of cool stuff that we are also into.  Oh well... not my call.
Scary Terry
www.terrybeatty.blogspot.com

LundyAfterMidnight

"Well friends, that's all there is to life: just a little laugh, a little tear." - Prof. Echo (Lon Chaney, Sr.)

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Scary Terry on April 22, 2014, 12:42:42 AM
I'll be sorry to see a lot of the non-monster stuff go. While the main focus here has always been monsters, I've loved seeing what other stuff my fellow monster fans collect, reading about what movies and music they like, etc. It's easy enough to ignore the non-monster threads if you choose -- but I found them a great way to get to know the folks here, and share a lot of cool stuff that we are also into.  Oh well... not my call.

That didn't sound scary at all.

(Maybe because I mostly agree.)
ADAM

Toy Ranch

As with most things, there are negatives and positives.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18236

Count_Zirock

I feel very guilty about this decision because I'm aware that I'm part of the reason for it. My "Serious Pants: Depression" thread got very heated two weeks ago, and it was locked last week. I was informed that those types of threads don't get much attention from the moderators, so there needed to be a pow-wow about them.

When I first joined UMA, I never would have dreamed of starting a thread like that. But, the majority of members were so welcoming, friendly, and expressive, that I felt the "Members Only" section was a good place to express myself to like-minded people. I do not have a big local support group where I live. But the people in that thread embraced my pain. Complete "strangers" reached out to me. Many a post in that thread was so heartfelt and encouraging, I was often in tears. When Wicked Lester's wife began having her medical issues, I was glad he felt he could open up about it to the rest of us, too. Then, when Mark Stamper passed...it was just so good to see everyone rally around each other. Even people that didn't know him all that well felt compelled to say something.

I feel that the most expedient and convenient decision has been made, but perhaps not the one that's in the best interest of keeping that feeling of family and camaraderie amongst the membership.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

bigbud

I'm a big part of the problem too. Too many non-monster posts in comparison to monster posts. It is the truth that I have come to think of many members as family. But in every family there is a time to move on. I am sorry if I have been a disappointment....I will miss you all....but it seems for the best that I say farewell. The UMA has been an everyday stop for me....and I have nothing but very fond memories.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: bigbud on April 22, 2014, 03:04:20 AM
I'm a big part of the problem too. Too many non-monster posts in comparison to monster posts. It is the truth that I have come to think of many members as family. But in every family there is a time to move on. I am sorry if I have been a disappointment....I will miss you all....but it seems for the best that I say farewell. The UMA has been an everyday stop for me....and I have nothing but very fond memories.

We need a "DISLIKE" button.  I don't want to see you go.

(If we ever did get a DISLIKE button, it should be anonymous - to avoid hurt feelings and arguments between specific members.)
ADAM

Flower

Quote from: bigbud on April 22, 2014, 03:04:20 AM

You're not part of the problem but if you are depressed and upset, I can  take a couple of your toys into my tent until you feel better.

Btw ~ I think that all your posts (and toys) are MONSTER.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

BigShadow

I think threads like those posted in the Members Only section that dealt with personnal issues was a very healthy thing for our family.  Like so many of you, I don't have a huge support system, but I know if I was down or needed help, I could count on UMA members for support.  Loving monsters is not only about the genre but about the people involved and the fans.  Sometimes heated discussions will occur, but that is all part of being human.  So what some non-monster related subjects were present, we all came for the main reason of our love of the genre.  Everything else was just icing on the cake and made us feel like we had someplace to go, away from the daily grind. 

I know I haven't had much time as I'd like to post due to work and school, but when I did have time I felt at home.  It was like I never left and many people made me feel accpted in and out of the monster related threads.  This site became so much more than what is was, and evolved into something beautiful we could share with each other.

My heart sincerely aches at this administrative decision and for the people it will effect.  I must say that I can no longer be affiliated with a site that has such a cold administration to make these decisions without involving the people that make this site what it is.  I love each and every one of you guys and gals and wish everyone a blessed and healthy life for you and your family.

Goodbye.  :'(
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast