Author Topic: NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH  (Read 69478 times)

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
Re: NON-MONSTER FORUMS TO BE CLOSED AND REMOVED ON APRIL 27TH
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
I'm not disagreeing with anything that you posted but there is also the fact that there will always be a certain amount of 'clutter' in most threads of any nature.  A member posts their artwork, makes a detailed post about their experiences, etc. and people will respond .. often there are multiple posts of praise and/or questions .. long or short.  In a sense, scrolling thru posts of 'beautiful job' , 'I love it' .. etc .. can be time consuming but this is a community where people support each other and wish to show appreciation for the talents and hard work of others.

There will always be posts on any forum of any type that 'push the envelope' ... Your choice as a poster is to ignore it, notify a mod or perhaps stop posting in that thread if the matter bothers you or isn't resolved. 

Dealing with the entire community is a responsibility of the mods and admins and if certain posters or types of posts became a burden, individual posters should've been notified before it was felt that things were going out of control .. perhaps they were as I don't know what happens behind the scenes.

Yes, there will always be clutter, but there should at least be an attempt to minimalize it.  Likewise, the 'push the envelope'  posts.  as a moderator, it is part of my duty to help out when I can.  I do know what happens behind the scenes and a lot of it is not any fun when the problems arise.

Rob

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »
My feelings about posting are fairly simple.  If I 'error', please let me know the first time or times and don't wait until I've made hundreds or thousands of 'errors' .. this has happened to me elsewhere and by changing the rules in mid stream or waiting to say something, it made it personal and not something being regulated.

Perhaps others feel this way? I don't know.

H.R. work of any kind isn't fun.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

CreepysFan

• Sergeant
  • UNCLE CREEPY
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
 The Chat Room is pretty much taking up dead space. 
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »
The Chat Room is pretty much taking up dead space.

We have a Chat Room?
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #409 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
My favorite thread is back... for revenge!   >:D

I think he means the Chatter Box, Mike.

scott_of_smeg

• Corporal
  • eeegads, the horror!!!
« Reply #410 on: June 03, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »
As with others, my love for Universal Monsters brought me here; but the members kept me coming back.

I had a bit of a therapy session in an Off Topic Thread when I discovered my beloved dog Scarlett was dying of kidney failure. I sat at my computer, with my dog at my feet and opened the flood gates of anger and sadness that I had been bottling up. I truly appreciated everyone's messages and that thread helped me during those trying times.

I took the time to read every response in this thread before posting. I must comment that I am put off by the arrogance of some of the contributors. I get the overwhelmingly warm and fuzzy message of "kick ricks" by some responses to members concerns. If you are concerned about lack time, limiting discussion is a great remedy to slow down an active forum.

I read more than I post and I am very grateful to everyone who have opened up their doors and let us into your homes and families. I am not going anywhere and I imagine my post activity will remain the same, so this isn't some kind of swan song.

In parting I thank everyone for their contributions and to others I would say step back from the ledge a bit. It's just the UMA, after all. =)
"Quite a good scene, isn't it? One man crazy three very sane spectators."

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:41 AM »
It's been over a month now sense "The Change" was initiated. Must admit, while the world didn't end, I still miss the OT threads. Also, there are posts that I'm now kinda confused about. The news item about the tomb of Vlad Dracula possibly being discovered in Naples was something I thought horror fans would be interested in. But, I really didn't know where it was appropriate. Perhaps we could have a section for Monster-related News?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
The news item about the tomb of Vlad Dracula possibly being discovered in Naples was something I thought horror fans would be interested in. But, I really didn't know where it was appropriate.

Maybe Horror Literature? I guess "news" is literature?
CREATURE FAN

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #413 on: June 15, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
How about "Monster news", which could be a news item that relates to something horrible.  A good example would be the Vlad Dracula tomb.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2014, 01:21:47 AM »
How about "Monster news", which could be a news item that relates to something horrible.  A good example would be the Vlad Dracula tomb.
Instead of the old OT "News of the World" thread, we could have "Monstrous News"! Articles somehow related to the world of monsters. Like Dracula's tomb, the recent story of a 9-foot Great White Shark being eaten by an even bigger Great White, etc. Would also be a good place for news about Cryptids (Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, etc).

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2014, 01:25:25 AM »
Maybe Horror Literature? I guess "news" is literature?
That's another thing..."Horror Literature" really should have its own section, instead of being a subsection of "Memorable Memorabilia." Half the time, when I'm looking to post something in "Horror Lit," I have to spend time hunting it down! If "Horror Lit" was its own section, then "Monstrous News" could be a subsection of that topic.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:28:43 AM by Count_Zirock »

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #416 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »
The new section could be called "The Written Weird." 

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
The new section could be called "The Written Weird."

I'm afraid this is going to be the news section.
CREATURE FAN

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
« Reply #418 on: June 17, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
I'm afraid this is going to be the news section.
Seriously? I mean, I could see putting it in Announcements, but using this actual thread? I really think a new thread would be much more appropriate.

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #419 on: June 17, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
Seriously? I mean, I could see putting it in Announcements, but using this actual thread?

Sorry! I thought I was in the "Horror Lit" thread.
CREATURE FAN