Author Topic: THE 'BURBS BLU-Ray Coming To U.K. - June 23rd  (Read 503 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
THE 'BURBS BLU-Ray Coming To U.K. - June 23rd
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »

"Where did Vince get this?"

Amazon U.K. is listing "The 'Burbs" for pre-order with a release date of 6-23-2014.

There will be 2 different issues.

One issue will sport new artwork for the sleeve:

SPECIAL FEATURES:
•High Definition digital transfer
•Newly created exclusive content
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned art
•Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film, archive content and more!
•More to be announced closer to the release date

And the 2nd issue will come packaged in a tin:

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• Limited edition SteelBook packaging
•High Definition digital transfer
•Newly created exclusive content
•Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film, archive content and more!
•More to be announced closer to the release date

With such an ambitious release there should at least be a full-length Director's commentary. 

I hope some of the main stars can be persuaded to contribute interviews.  But I do not have high hopes.  Little comments dropped here and there in the past suggest that this was not a very harmonious set.  Probably having an uncertain end for the movie had something to do with this.  But reported friction between cast members may remain unresolved.

I am really jazzed that this film is finally coming to Blu-Ray in the U.K. and Australia.

Now, where is our U.S. Blu-Ray?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:30:25 AM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Re: THE 'BURBS BLU-Ray Coming To U.K. - June 23rd
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »

Here is the back of that tin:

I guess I'll have to buy that all region Blu-Ray player...

I'm a little surprised that no one else seems especially happy that this is coming out. 

Maybe we will eventually get a Blu-Ray "Matinee" - complete with the full length "Mant".  That would be sweet.
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
Sorry buddy, I find Tom Hanks as annoying as Keanu Reeves.

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
The film was alright, but this is the first time I was aware that anyone was actually excited about it.  The film was different enough, that I can understand where it would have a following.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Sorry buddy, I find Tom Hanks as annoying as Keanu Reeves.

Understood.  We all have our lists.  I can't watch anything with Tom Cruise.  He just gives me the creeps.

I don't think of The 'Burbs as a Tom Hanks film.  For me it is an ensemble effort.  I think Dern and Ducommun were great in it.

The film was alright, but this is the first time I was aware that anyone was actually excited about it.  The film was different enough, that I can understand where it would have a following.

I think I saw it when I was in the perfect mood.  I fell in love with the film right away and have grown even more fond of it over the years.

Go figure.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:26:51 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
I can't stand Tom Cruise, either. Julia Roberts (with her cackling), Sandra Buttock, and  Anne Hathaway bug the crap out of me (they look like the Joker).

BrotherD

• Corporal
    • Plan D: The Website/Blog of Derek M. Koch
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
I guess I'll have to buy that all region Blu-Ray player...

My all-region Blu-ray player was one of the best investments I ever made!

I'm a little surprised that no one else seems especially happy that this is coming out.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm excited! I love the dark quirkiness of the film, and the person who said it was less a Tom Hanks film and more an ensemble piece is spot on. The chemistry of the cast just WORKS in this film, and I love the film's score, too.

Maybe we will eventually get a Blu-Ray "Matinee" - complete with the full length "Mant".  That would be sweet.

Well, it doesn't have a full-length "Mant," but the French Blu-ray release of Matinee is pretty good. (And has some great cover art.)
I podcast, therefore I am . . .
Monster Kid Radio - http://www.monsterkidradio.net
1951 Down Place - http://www.1951downplace.com

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »

I said it is an ensemble film.  I think Rick Ducommun shines in it.  Too bad his career didn't take off from there.  Bruce Dern obviously gave the film his all - a hilarious performance.

There is also a French Blu-Ray of The 'Burbs rumored to be in the near future.

Matinee & Burbs are my two favorite Joe Dante movies.  I never tire of watching them.

Why do other countries get so many DVD/BLU-Ray releases of U.S. movies before we do?
ADAM