Author Topic: Lon Chaney Sr. make-up kits-- fantasy items  (Read 1512 times)

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Lon Chaney Sr. make-up kits-- fantasy items
« on: December 13, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
Several years ago, I decided to make my own version of a Lon Sr. make-up kit using genuine vintage grease paint, nose putty, spirit gum, crepe hair and so on--I haunted Ebay and snagged all kinds of old old stuff, remnants of vaudeville and amateur theatricals.  In fact, I found so much stuff, I ended up making 3 kits, 2 of which I still have.  One of the most "accurate" things was a Nyal-Huskeys cough drop tin, as I had seen a photo of one of Lon's kits that had an identical tin in it--it brings to mind the throat problem that turned out to be his final illness.  You can see that tin in the front of the case in photo 2.

Close-up of 3rd kit--
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

poseablemonster

• Sergeant Major
Re: Lon Chaney Sr. make-up kits-- fantasy items
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:39 PM »
Really nifty project!  What a great idea. 

The Phantom Creep

• Sergeant
  • Used to be ZOMBOPHOTO
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »
Now that is really cool! Great job!!!
"Ladies and gentlemen, please do not panic. But  SCREAM!! Scream for your lives!!"

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:38:43 PM »
Robert,

That's what sets you apart (above?) other collectors, you've turned collecting itself into an artform.  Now, if only Forry would give you Chaney's LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT teeth...

Rob