Trashy Garish Over-The-Top Envelope Pushin' Monster Magazines!

Started by horrorhunter, January 13, 2014, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on January 31, 2017, 10:22:47 PM

Marvel's Dracula Lives #1 posted at Monster Magazine World: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=8cdeb4a45f693259

Quote from: horrorhunter on February 02, 2017, 04:53:03 PM
Monsters Unleashed! #1 is posted at Monster Magazine World: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=fd154cc265b298a9

If you don't have it check it out. Part 1 is up now with the rest to soon follow.

Most of those Marvel Curtis magazines featured fabulous cover art.

tynhrt
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on March 10, 2017, 05:00:38 PM
If you don't have it check it out. Part 1 is up now with the rest to soon follow.

Most of those Marvel Curtis magazines featured fabulous cover art.

tynhrt
Absolutely! It's hard to beat Boris Vallejo and Gray Morrow. And, the Neal Adams covers are spectacular!

Dracula Lives! #3 Neal Adams cover:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

My Weird Tales Of The Macabre #2 (Seaboard, 1975) showed up today.

The seller accepted my offer of $15 and claimed the mag is in FN, the scans looked like a FN copy, and sure enough it is in FN. Wow, an eBay seller who actually grades accurately, what a concept!  :laugh:

I recommend this eBay seller that sold me this book. They grade accurately and shoot straight. Here's a link to their current listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/andymac2570/m.html?ssPageName=&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2654

Those Atlas/Seaboard monster mags are getting more expensive and harder to find in nice condition. The second issues are tougher to find than the first issues. I'm glad to get that WTOTM #2 in FN for 15 bucks. That was only issue I needed to finish the Seaboard monster mags. My others are mostly in high grade, but that issue eluded me till now. I remember having a VG copy of that book in the '80s but like a dumb*ss I sold off my mags back then and focused on superhero comics. A few years ago I went monster mag crazy and bought nearly everything I could get my claws on, and not long afterward I got really burned out on mainstream superhero titles and purged around 8K comics from my collection. I still have my favorite superhero books from the mid '70s and earlier, but now my focus is on Monster/Horror and I'm comfortable it will stay that way until I croak. Tastes in collecting change for most collectors, especially when they're young. Don't assume you'll have exactly the same tastes in a few years unless you're over 50 (or maybe even 60). Don't overpay for those collectibles because you might not keep them forever like you think you will, and you'll want to get the money back out at some point to put toward other things.  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Got these 2 monster mags and 3 others in an eBay lot.

I had the Druktenis reprint of Werewolves And Vampires but not the original. It's a little rough, around G/VG (3.0), but the page quality is good and it's complete. It's very hard to find the Charlton monster mags from the '60s in nice condition, though I do have some Mad Monsters issues in the VF range.

Didn't have a copy of that Eerie Pubs Tales From The Tomb (V5 #1). It's in VG (4.0), maybe a little better. Eerie Publications mags have gotten so expensive it's difficult to find even low grade issues for less than $10. I used to buy that stuff in mid-grade and better for a buck apiece 15-20 years ago. I have over 80 of them (and 14 Stanleys) but I wish I had been more energetic and actually finished those runs back when they were cheap. It would be quite pricey to build a complete collection of Eerie Pubs these days, even in low grade. At least I finished the main Warren titles, Marvel titles, Skywalds, and older titles like Fantastic Monsters, and Monsters & Things back when that was more feasible.

The other 3 mags in the lot were an upgrade to Screen Thrills Illustrated #1, and a couple of dupes I'll sell at some point. Man, it's really tough to find monster mags in nice condition for a good price anymore.

cl:)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Dracula #3 (1971, New English Library) is posted in it's entirety at MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD. Here's the link: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=f012c9606b054193

Cover by Enrich and beautiful interior art by Esteban Maroto. If you like classic Warren you'll dig it.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Here's the cover for The Creeps #10 by Sanjulian:

Ships April 25th. I'm really enjoying The Creeps and preorder every issue to get the free poster. Best thing since classic Warren!  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Picked up a dozen fanzines mostly from the early '70s for a very good price.

Includes Infinity #s 2-5, Phantasmagoria #s 1,2, Reality #2, The Sensuous Frazetta, The Magic Of Frank Frazetta, and others. These feature the work of Frazetta, Wrightson, Brunner, Corben, Kenneth Smith, Larry Todd, and other great talents of the day. I love this stuff. They are very low print run mags similar to monster magazines and underground comics of the period.

I got these via eBay auction very cheaply because the seller put extremely low bids on the auctions. I was the only one who bid in half of these auctions. For specialized material like this a seller takes a big chance when he lists them as auctions with low minimum bids. 90% of the time you only see these kind of fanzines listed as Buy It Nows for hefty prices.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 16, 2017, 02:30:41 AM
Here's the cover for The Creeps #10 by Sanjulian:

Ships April 25th. I'm really enjoying The Creeps and preorder every issue to get the free poster. Best thing since classic Warren!  ;)

H.H.?!
Is the CREEPS comic magazine worth buying. Everytime I go to B&N, I see the comic magazine on the rack. But never broke-down and purchased.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

horrorhunter

Quote from: marsattacks666 on April 18, 2017, 01:11:18 AM
H.H.?!
Is the CREEPS comic magazine worth buying. Everytime I go to B&N, I see the comic magazine on the rack. But never broke-down and purchased.
The Creeps is the only new mag I buy! So, yeah, I'm a fan. Here's a link to a little review I did earlier in this thread: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=24836.msg476548#msg476548

I'm nearly out of room for comics, mags, and pretty much everything except for very small items, but I preorder every issue of The Creeps to get the free poster and make sure I don't miss the issue. It comes closer to classic Warren than any other publication, and I doubt we'll ever see a better homage to Warren.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 18, 2017, 01:56:43 AM
The Creeps is the only new mag I buy! So, yeah, I'm a fan. Here's a link to a little review I did earlier in this thread: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=24836.msg476548#msg476548

I'm nearly out of room for comics, mags, and pretty much everything except for very small items, but I preorder every issue of The Creeps to get the free poster and make sure I don't miss the issue. It comes closer to classic Warren than any other publication, and I doubt we'll ever see a better homage to Warren.

Thank you, h.h.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

horrorhunter

ANOTHER NEW MONSTER MAG FROM UK

It seems like for every stateside monster mag that gets in publishing trouble, two more new titles are announced by the UK. The Brits have something of a mini monster craze going on and websites like HEMLOCK BOOKS are teeming with chewy monster goodness.

Hemlock has recently been promoting the latest in their magazine line, THE FANTASTIC FIFTIES. Looking to be a title much like CINEMA RETRO where a specific timeline of movies is covered, TFF has some quality writers on staff and is edited by the renown and respected Denis Meikle. My next order from Hemlock will be including this brand new 'zine!

Thanks to MONSTER MAGAZINE WORLD for the scoop!: https://monstermagazineworld.blogspot.com/?zx=d833b68555152089
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 22, 2017, 04:57:27 PM
A look at The Creeps #11 cover by Ken Kelly.

http://www.thecreepsmagazine.com/

Ken Kelly. What an amazing artist and legacy. I meet Mr. Kelly at a KISS convention. He was super cool, and signed anything I brought. His KISS album cover art is spectacular. Not to mention Mr. Kelly's FM covers.

horrorhunter

Quote from: marsattacks666 on May 22, 2017, 09:15:06 PM
Ken Kelly. What an amazing artist and legacy. I meet Mr. Kelly at a KISS convention. He was super cool, and signed anything I brought. His KISS album cover art is spectacular. Not to mention Mr. Kelly's FM covers.
Ken was there during the classic Warren years where he did several beautiful covers. He studied under Frazetta (he's Ellie's nephew). And, of course, he did the KISS album covers among many other great works of art. Dude's the real deal.

I have a copy of the Warren poster for the cover of Eerie #57 as well as posters of some of Ken's other Warren covers hanging in my monster mag room. Also have the mags of course. Here's a net pic:

http://www.kenkellyfantasyart.com/page/page/6626981.htm
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

marsattacks666

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 22, 2017, 10:06:48 PM
Ken was there during the classic Warren years where he did several beautiful covers. He studied under Frazetta (he's Ellie's nephew). And, of course, he did the KISS album covers among many other great works of art. Dude's the real deal.

I have a copy of the Warren poster for the cover of Eerie #57 as well as posters of some of Ken's other Warren covers hanging in my monster mag room. Also have the mags of course. Here's a net pic:

http://www.kenkellyfantasyart.com/page/page/6626981.htm

Very cool. I bought lithos of his original concept of KISS' Destroyer and Love Gun. He is a true legend. Oh?! I almost forgot. The Rainbow Rising (besides of my favorite Rainbow albums)is truly outstanding.