Professor Hepcat's Primer on Supernatural Beings!

Started by Hepcat, November 28, 2013, 05:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Unknown Primate on December 14, 2013, 09:45:57 PM
Back to Godzilla, is there any truth to the "asexual" angle?  Thanks, Prof!
No! We've seen Minilla (a.k.a. Minya) hatch from an egg, that, presumably, was fertilized in normal fashion. Since we know there were at least two adult Godzillas (1954's "Godzilla" and 1955's "Godzilla Raids Again"), one was obviously female. It's possible that both started out as males, and due to lack of a breeding pair, one may have switched sexes, as certain species of frogs are able to do. Of course, this is highly speculative, as no known Godzilla corpses have ever been retrieved for study.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Hepcat

Quote from: Unknown Primate on December 14, 2013, 09:45:57 PMBack to Godzilla, is there any truth to the "asexual" angle?

A vicious lie!

>:(

Godzilla is definitely a boy.

cl:)

Collecting! It's what I do!

Unknown Primate

" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

WnewCreatureFeatures

Enjoyed all the posts but going Back to Vampires

Where does Count Yorga

or

Count Dracula, posing as Bellac Gordal

fit in?

Count_Zirock

Quote from: WnewCreatureFeatures on December 15, 2013, 01:16:15 AM

Where does Count Yorga or Count Dracula, posing as Bellac Gordal fit in?
Both seemed to be fairly straightforward vampires, repelled by crosses and destroyed by daylight and stakes.

Flower

Quote from: Count_Zirock on December 15, 2013, 03:14:41 AM
Both seemed to be fairly straightforward vampires, repelled by crosses and destroyed by daylight and stakes.

Alas, there are Jewish vampires (such as in 'The Fearless Vampire Killers') and crosses don't work on them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Quote from: WnewCreatureFeatures on December 15, 2013, 01:16:15 AM

Where does Count Yorga

or

Count Dracula, posing as Bellac Gordal

fit in?

Vampires both. As Flower has pointed out, vampires can be of diverse nationalities.

cl:)

WnewCreatureFeatures

Ah good , though not Lugosi or Lee I always thought they were excellent vampires , and lets not forget Blacula as well.

Sadly I can see them all rotating in their respective vampire graves everytime a "Twilight" film came out

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Flower on December 15, 2013, 04:28:56 AM
Alas, there are Jewish vampires (such as in 'The Fearless Vampire Killers') and crosses don't work on them.
Yes, but that was done as a gag in a comedy. From folklore, it's possible that any symbol of "good" might repel a vampire. But, vampire folklore differs by region. Some aren't effected by religious symbols at all. Kim Newman explains it as a peculiarity of bloodlines in his "Anno Dracula" novels. Vampires such as Lord Ruthven and Geneviève Dieudonné aren't phased at all by religious symbols, but Dracula, General Iorga, Baron Meinster, and Graf Orlok are plagued by them, as well as garlic and holy water. All vampires in the series, however, are susceptible to mortal injuries from weapons made of silver.

Flower

YES there are Jewish Vampires ... try looking up Aluka or Motetz Dam. 

You will find that most humor is based on fact. 

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Flower on December 15, 2013, 02:32:19 PM
YES there are Jewish Vampires ... try looking up Aluka or Motetz Dam. 

You will find that most humor is based on fact.
Quote from: WikipediaJewish traditions

The Hebrew word "Aluka" (literal translation is "leech") is synonymous with vampirism or vampires, as is "Motetz Dam" (literally, "blood sucker"). Later vampire traditions appear among the European Jews of medieval Rhineland, in particular the medieval interpretation of Lilith. In common with vampires, this version of Lilith was held to be able to transform herself into an animal, usually a cat, and charm her victims into believing that she is benevolent or irresistible. However, she and her daughters usually strangle rather than drain victims, and in the Kabbalah, she retains many attributes found in vampires. A late 17th- or early 18th-century Kabbalah document was found in one of the Ritman library's copies of Jean de Pauly's translation of the Zohar. The text contains two amulets, one for male (lazakhar), the other for female (lanekevah). The invocations on the amulets mention Adam, Eve, and Lilith, Chavah Rishonah and the angels—Sanoy, Sansinoy, Smangeluf, Shmari'el, and Hasdi'el. A few lines in Yiddish are shown as dialog between the prophet Elijah and Lilith, in which she has come with a host of demons to kill the mother, take her newborn and "to drink her blood, suck her bones and eat her flesh". She informs Elijah that she will lose power if someone uses her secret names, which she reveals at the end.
So, it seems the cross, or even the Star of David, would be ineffective against a Jewish vampire. Although, I wonder if Dracula or another European vampire were to turn a Jew, would the vampire sire's bloodline dictate the laws regarding their behavior, or would the Hebrew traditions be dominant?

Pauspy

Professor Hepcat! Sorry I'm late for class. I slept in, the dog ate my notes, my pen ran out of ink, my pencil broke, I lost my bus pass, and for some reason I'm standing here in front of the class in my underwear. I hope this isn't just a bad dream (psst, Flower, can I copy your notes???)

*ahem* Anyway, Professor Hepcat, what can you tell us about vampires and mirrors? Is it true they can't see their reflections and are really pissed off about it, or could it be that, as some have suggested, they actually see the true reflections of their twisted, ugly souls?

And is there a student discount on silver bullets?
Supernatural, perhaps; baloney, perhaps not.

Flower

Pauspy .. unfortunately the cat took my notes to read in the litter box but I'll dust off the clay, make myself a copy and mail you the originals.

Hepcat

Quote from: Pauspy on December 16, 2013, 02:46:08 PM*ahem* Anyway, Professor Hepcat, what can you tell us about vampires and mirrors? Is it true they can't see their reflections and are really pissed off about it, or could it be that, as some have suggested, they actually see the true reflections of their twisted, ugly souls?

Ahhhh, but that's just it! Vampires' souls disappear with their humanity leaving them with nothing where a soul once resided. And that's why they give off no reflection in mirrors.

Quote from: Pauspy on December 16, 2013, 02:46:08 PMAnd is there a student discount on silver bullets?

Not through me as that would contravene this august educational institution's conflict of interest guidelines. You might try Gus' Gunnery and Jewellery Liquidation Depot down the street though. But be careful of the iron bars across his storefront.

:)

Dr. Madd

THIS, on the other hand, should never be confused with vampires. This is a metrosexual with a slight overbite.

This is also an excellent example of a Vampire.
Madd The Impaler-
Undeadlegend

Dr. Madd- The Original- accept no subsitutes.