Author Topic: Dinosaur Playsets  (Read 117044 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: Dinosaur Playsets
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
I want in on the Dino fun too! Have these loose and am on the lookout for a Marx Prehistoric Playset box....they show up quite often on the Bay....

This is a pic of the Smiley/Waving Dino....one of my favorites!

Good stuff, bigbud! The waving one is the Marx Hadrosaurus. It looks like the two big ones in the back are from the rare Flintstones Hunting Party set. Since you have the four terrain pieces from the square box sets look for one of those, either a #3388 or #3394. You also have extra pieces beyond one square box set.

Here's a link to mine posted earlier in this thread. I've listed the original contents if you want to complete an original one after you get the box. #3394 is the one I posted, but the #3388 is the same except no cavemen. There is a link a couple pages back to the Marx Monograph which lists all the mold groups and explains them. If I can help just post a ? or send me a PM. http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=23582.msg437720#msg437720
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:32:24 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
Ancient Dark God Playset #13-666 (MPC, 1972) was demonized by parents groups and churches until the Holy torch wielding mob descended on the castle (toy store) and had them banished to oblivion. A scant few slipped through the cracks and avoided the cleansing. Now they are almost impossible to find. Mine is complete except for the elusive instruction sheet which also gave background information on the Dark God Agrezelh and listed several chants to it. The MPC Monsters in green glow are Agrezelh's spectral demonic servants in the prehistoric world. They have taken the forms of various figures of terror plucked from the minds of Agrezelh worshippers in the past, future, and other dimensions. I bought this in an occult bookstore a few years ago. It was partially hidden under several tomes of dread including the Necronomicon.

CONTENTS:

1 Mountain Terrain w/2 Rock Arches (Lt. Blue)

1 Cave (Brown)

3 Rock Piles (Gray)

1 Sacrificial Altar

1 Agrezelh Idol

Complete Set of 8 MPC Monsters in Green Glow

48 MPC Prehistoric Animals (2 of each of the 24 different ones in various colors)

12 MPC Cavemen (Red & Yellow)

6 MPC Palm Trees

4 Marx? Dead Trees (MPC must have purchased these in bulk or knocked them off)

Playmat

"Hey Kids! Get your own Ancient Dark God Playset! Wage war with dinosaurs and demons! Sacrifice Cavemen! Worship the Ancient Idol! It's Prehistoric Pandemonium!!!"

I was stunned when the bookstore proprietor only wanted $100 for this! I quickly gave him my credit card and then he said there was something else...I would have to write a symbol on a document. I had never seen the symbol before and the document looked like it was written in Latin, or something. I copied the symbol on there as best I could, grabbed my prize, and left. I've been meaning to go back to that store but for the life of me I can't quite remember where it was...
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
I want in on the Dino fun too! Have these loose and am on the lookout for a Marx Prehistoric Playset box....they show up quite often on the Bay....

Man, you've got a whole epoch of dinos there!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
Ancient Dark God Playset #13-666 (MPC, 1972) was demonized....

I wish that you'd been one of the playset designers working for Marx back in the day!

8)

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
Ancient Dark God playset. Hmmm. COOL colored dinos, Glow monsters. Cave men,Cool minimal box art and THEE coolest playmat I have ever seen = Awesome!

Wait........................................ forgot the cool EVIL Idol too. Killer.

bigbud

• Sergeant
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
Horrorhunter...thank you so much! I will look for the 3394 set box ...... and I'll go over the content list you provided. I have several of the PFPC magazines, but am betting I don't have the issue describing the dino sets... I had duplicates of some of the hard plastic terrain pieces and sold them on the Bay.....amazed me with how well they did!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
Ancient Dark God playset. Hmmm. COOL colored dinos, Glow monsters. Cave men,Cool minimal box art and THEE coolest playmat I have ever seen = Awesome!

Wait........................................ forgot the cool EVIL Idol too. Killer.
Thanks, dude. I posted that set before but the pics weren't clear so I decided to repost since I picked up a better camera. I also added some hokum with the background story just to spice things up.  >:D  :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »
Horrorhunter...thank you so much! I will look for the 3394 set box ...... and I'll go over the content list you provided. I have several of the PFPC magazines, but am betting I don't have the issue describing the dino sets... I had duplicates of some of the hard plastic terrain pieces and sold them on the Bay.....amazed me with how well they did!

PFPC #64 is the dino issue. I also have a cereal collectors mag called Freakie Magnet #11 that has good dino content. But, some of the best Marx info I've seen is the 2 part Marx Monograph here: http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/marx-playset-monograph.html The monograph explains about mold groups, playsets, and the After-Marx sets. It's very informative as well as entertaining if you're into Marx prehistorics.

Box hunting on eBay may be a little problematic. They do turn up but sometimes you have to wait awhile to get one in decent condition for a reasonable price. So many that turn up are pretty much trashed and sometimes sellers still want a fortune. It's chaos. I know you've played the evilBay game for years like I have so you know that patience wins out in the end. Depending on what kind of deals come up you may find a nice #3390 box (long box, Series 1000) that you could use your dinos to fill up. Just make sure it has a decent Vacu-Form terrain piece, which are chipped and cracked much of the time.

Back around 2001 I was in your situation regarding my Marx dino collection. I still had the dinos and four terrain pieces from my old square box (#3394) set but no box or booklet. At a toy show I found a guy with a #3390 long box for sale. It also had a nice Vacu-Form terrain piece and the booklet but no dinos so it was perfect for what I needed. I found out the original contents of the set and filled it out with my dinos. I eventually used my original four terrain pieces in another set. After I started using eBay in 2002 I gradually built up a stash of playset stuff by buying lots and when I would buy an incomplete set with a nice box I would finish it with pieces from my stash. And, believe me, these sets are always incomplete when you buy them off the 'Bay. I've never bought one from a collector who had already completed it, I always built my own with original parts. The only exception is the #4208 from 1978 that I posted above. I bought that one new.

Good luck on your dino endeavors and if I can help just holler.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
I wish that you'd been one of the playset designers working for Marx back in the day!

8)
Man, that would have been the dream job. Thanks for the kind words, Hep.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »
Scared up another ad for the Marx Prehistoric Mountain #3414 (1975). Also shown is another Marx "vertical" playset, Comanche Pass.

Found this at: http://plaidstallions.com/

Check out the Archives. There are some pretty cool monster collections there as well as scads of cool catalog pages.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:50:42 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Man, that would have been the dream job.

This week's job, a Disney Sleeping Beauty playset complete with a pink dragon, baby blue castle and pastel coloured rocks and other scenery. It's time we enlarged our market to include girls. Are you up to the challenge or should we find someone else for the job?

???

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
This week's job, a Disney Sleeping Beauty playset complete with a pink dragon, baby blue castle and pastel coloured rocks and other scenery. It's time we enlarged our market to include girls. Are you up to the challenge or should we find someone else for the job?

???
I would have done it, but I'd have worked those Bathing Beauties into it somehow.  >:D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »
Here's the new MPC logo I cooked up for the Ancient Dark God Playset.  >:D

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
Marx also produced what is commonly referred to by collectors as the "Polka Dot Boxed Sets".

This is the Prehistoric Animal Set 13 Pieces #P-913 (Marx, 1957).

CONTENTS:

1 Medium Mold Group (PL-750) (6 Dinos in Gray)

1 Small Mold Group (PL-755-7) (7 Dinos in Green)

13 Dinos Total

This is the Prehistoric Animals and Cavemen 16 Piece Set #P-1029 (Marx, 1958).

CONTENTS:

1 Medium Mold Group (PL-750) (6 Dinos in Gray)

1 Small Mold Group (PL-755-7) (7 Dinos in Green)

13 Dinos Total

3 Cavemen (Any 3 from the Group of 6 Poses in Cream)

There may have been a copy of the Marx Booklet included in these.

These were listed in the Sears Christmas Catalogs as follows:
13 Piece Set was listed in the 1957 Wishbook for 87 cents
16 Piece Set was listed in the 1958 Wishbook for 88 cents
16 Piece Set was listed in the 1959 Wishbook for 89 cents

They were advertised as a way to bolster the dinosaur count in the bigger playsets, but more were probably sold to people who couldn't afford the full size sets. The Polka Dot Box Sets were probably only sold through catalogs. Brick & mortar stores usually sold the loose dinos in bins for anywhere from 10 cents to a quarter. I have a Pot-Bellied T-Rex with 10 cents stamped on his belly that I bought when I was a wee Dinokid probably around 1962.

The Polka Dot Boxes are pretty hard to find now. They are much more scarce than the full size boxes. They show up on eBay occasionally and you can usually get them without breaking the bank because most people don't have a clue how scarce these things really are. When they do show up they almost always are incomplete, or contain broken dinos, or both. You can find the original dinos to complete them, but the trick is finding a color matched mold group. It's easy to put together a color matched mold group from 1971 and after Marx dinos because that "Heritage" plastic all looks alike, but the older lead based plastic varied much more and finding the right dinos in the same color and shade (or similarly marbled) can be a challenge.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
Quote from: horrorhunter
Brick & mortar stores usually sold the loose dinos in bins for anywhere from 10 cents to a quarter. I have a Pot-Bellied T-Rex with 10 cents stamped on his belly that I bought when I was a wee Dinokid probably around 1962.

Too cool to still have that ten cent dinosaur!

Back in 1958 when I was in grade one I remember a variety store on the west side of Wharncliffe Road that had five cent knight figures displayed beside the penny candies in a glass fronted cabinet. Unfortunately we moved before I acquired the wherewithal to buy any of them.

:(

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:41:52 PM by Hepcat »