Author Topic: Dinosaur Playsets  (Read 104811 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: Dinosaur Playsets
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Did he or did he not publish the book though?

???

I haven't seen anything else about it.

It didn't bode well when he answered my question that he didn't intend to list original retail prices of the playsets. I could casually scare up much of the original pricing information with a simple Google search, and he should certainly have a copy of the book- The Big Toy Box At Sears reprinting those Christmas catalog ads. If the book ever materializes I'll have to read at least a couple of favorable reviews before I toss 40-50 bucks after a copy. I already have 95% of these sets and in the absence of attention to detail I doubt the book would have much to offer me. Someone who doesn't have most of the sets and has a great interest in the subject could make some use of it as a source of general information.

A good source for general info regarding Marx Prehistorics is this two part article explaining mold groupings and giving an overview of the sets and some background of the history behind them. And, hey...you can click on the link for free.  :)
http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/marx-playset-monograph.html
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:20:35 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
Thanks for the link HH. That is a great source of information and I'll be spending hours going through it. One thing I noticed is,unless I missed it,there is no mention of the rare J.H Miller dinosaurs. It appears that some of the later companies used very similar sculpts.
Anyway here is another Dino site.

http://www.dinosaurcollector.150m.com/index.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:53:42 AM by Wicked Lester »

RICKH

• Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
I've enjoyed the postings about the dinosaur playsets!  Keep it up please!
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
Thanks for the link HH. That is a great source of information and I'll be spending hours going through it. One thing I noticed is,unless I missed it,there is no mention of the rare J.H Miller dinosaurs. It appears that some of the later companies used very similar sculpts.
Anyway here is another Dino site.

http://www.dinosaurcollector.150m.com/index.html

That's another great dino site, WL. Thank you for the link.

The link to the Marx Monograph I posted just covers Marx and After-Marx (companies using Marx molds) sets. If you click "Home" it takes you to a wider range of toy dino info.

Here's a link within Wicked Lester's link that seems to be a good starting point since we get redirected from the first link. Anyway, it's another great dino toy site.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/companies.htm

One of the most important things to understand is the process Marx used to mold their dinos in groups. Once you understand all the mold grouping info you can better understand the contents of each playset. Again, here's the link to the Marx Monograph explaining mold groups: http://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/marx-playset-monograph.html

Will do, RICKH. Sometimes I feel as if I'm on an island collecting this stuff. I'm glad to see that other people enjoy it as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:28:18 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
In another thread I remember we were discussing which company actually made the toy dinosaurs which were commonly referred to as "Nabisco" dinos and which were included as premiums in Wheat Honeys and Rice Honeys cereals in the '50s, and boxes of Fritos Corn Chips bags in the late '60s/'70s. According to the info in this website it was Lido, who also made toy soldiers.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/lido.htm

There were also prehistoric mammals:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:14:59 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
 I remember eating Fritos like a mo fo to get those little buggers when I was a kid.

frankenstein73

• Sergeant
  • Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2014, 04:37:10 PM »
I still have my brontosaurus! Such a cute little fella.
Mirabile dictu,don't you agree?

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
I remember eating Fritos like a mo fo to get those little buggers when I was a kid.
Me too, man. When we would go to the grocery store I would con my mom into getting an extra six-pack of the small Fritos bags for "milk break" at school that week. I didn't even eat anything at "milk break", I just wanted that extra little Nabisco dino that came one to a box of six small Fritos bags. Of course I always ate the Fritos during the week anyway, I loved 'em...only not as much as the toy dinosaurs.  ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Here's a little guy enjoying his Prehistoric Times #3390 (Marx, 1957) playset under the Christmas Tree.

A pic of my #3390.

I was born in 1959 so I arrived a little late to enjoy this set new as a kid. My first full size dino playset was the Prehistoric Times #3394 (Marx, 1959) squarebox playset which I received for my birthday in 1963. That was the only full size Marx dino playset I had as a kid but I had plenty of MPC carded dinos and scads of dime store dinos and cereal/Fritos premium dinos during my early stint as a Monsterkid/Dinokid.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:12:54 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
Here's a 1958 Sears Christmas Catalog ad for a Prehistoric Times #3392 (Marx, 1958) playset. It is identical to the #3390 above except it lacks the dead tree and the two stumps that were in the #3390.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:59:59 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
This is an example of the Large Mold Group (Marx, PL-749) with some nice marbling. That group included the Pot Bellied T-Rex, Brontosaurus w/large foot circles, and the Kronosaurus. Marbled Marx dinosaurs are sought after by collectors because each is unique much like a fingerprint, and considered quite beautiful by most toy dino enthusiasts.

From 1961 to 1979 the Large Mold Group was not used by Marx so the Pot Bellied T-Rex and Kronosaurus are much more scarce than most Marx dinos and command a premium with the added collector interest. There was a problem with the time taken for the mold to cool since the Pot Bellied T-Rex is so fat and according to some info it slowed production. After Marx went out of business in the early '80s, and the molds changed hands several times, the Large Mold (PL-749) began being used again by various companies so some of the After-Marx playsets with recast Marx dinos include the three Large Mold Group prehistoric animals.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Note: The earliest Marx Prehistorics toy production can be traced back to the mid '50s, probably '55-'56. I don't know where this guy got 1950.

"A giant beaver"???!...Good God. It's a frickin' Megatherium fer cryin' out loud. Some of these people must have never picked up a book about prehistoric animals, let alone played with the toys when they were a kid. Marx and MPC prehistoric animals have the names and lengths printed right there on the tails or stomachs. It looks like common pop culture references would register with people as prevalent as movies/shows like Jurassic Park and Walking With Dinosaurs/Walking With Prehistoric Beasts have been in the last few years. I guess I expect too much that people should grasp the obvious. I was inquiring about some monster figures at TRU the other day and two middle aged women employees had never heard of the Creature From The Black Lagoon! That's just unfrickin'believable to me. I asked them point blank "How the F do you get through life and never hear of the Creature From The Black Lagoon?". I just got blank stares.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:46:05 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
My first full size dino playset was the Prehistoric Times #3394 (Marx, 1959) squarebox playset which I received for my birthday in 1963.

So your infatuation with Marx Dino playsets can be traced to that very day!

8)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:25:21 PM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »
I was inquiring about some monster figures at TRU the other day and two middle aged women employees had never heard of the Creature From The Black Lagoon! That's just unfrickin'believable to me. I asked them point blank "How the F do you get through life and never hear of the Creature From The Black Lagoon?". I just got blank stares.  ::)

Stupid bitches! But dumb looks are still free you know.

::)

Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2014, 11:19:07 PM »
So your infatuation with Marx Dino playsets can be traced to that very day!

8)
Actually, it was a few weeks before my 4th birthday, Hep. My mom and I used to walk in to this small strip mall in Athens, Ga. and in a little mom&pop hobby shop there was this glorious display of that Marx #3394 squarebox set on a painted board with sand and the whole nine yards. I started pestering my mom for one right away but we were poor and in the weeks following she saved up the money to get me one for the B-day. I think it was around eight dollars which was a lot of money to us in 1963. I've loved dinosaurs and monsters ever since. Thank you, Louis Marx.  :angel:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...