Author Topic: Dinosaur Playsets  (Read 116928 times)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
Re: Dinosaur Playsets
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
Super rad, playset
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
I know that some of the original carded MPC sets are dated 1964, like this one from my collection.

Here's the top part of this MPC Dinosaur Monsters rack toy from horrorhunter's collection:

Interesting that this MPC Dinosaur Monsters set was then repurposed and used to promote Hammer's 1971 flick Creatures the World Forgot:

One of the theater chains put custom stickers on the header cards and used the MPC sets as give-aways to promote the movie. Here's the one from horrorhunter's collection:

What's really ironic is that no dinosaurs appeared in the Creatures the World Forgot movie! I guess whoever was in charge of promoting the movie didn't actually bother to see it first.

;D
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #452 on: March 29, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »

What's really ironic is that no dinosaurs appeared in the Creatures the World Forgot movie! I guess whoever was in charge of promoting the movie didn't actually bother to see it first.

Or maybe they forgot. I know I would never forget the creature in the center of the movie poster.

Lazarus

• Sergeant
  • Monster Kid Forever
« Reply #453 on: March 30, 2020, 12:54:01 AM »
'Inspired by' lets you get away with all sorts of things.  They should've done a little Julie Ege to go with those dinos.

japfeif

• New Recruit
« Reply #454 on: May 04, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »
Hey guys! Been awhile since I visited these parts, but wanted anyone interested to know that the THIRD edition (has it been 3 versions now?? Wow!) of my book Dinosaur Playsets: An Illustrated Guide to the Prehistoric Playsets of Marx and MPC is FINALLY done and is available now! If you never have purchased this book and are interested in Marx & MPC dinosaur sets, then this is the book for you! The most complete source  and ONLY book in print out there for the dinosaurs and playsets from these two iconic companies.

And if you have purchased an earlier version and would like an upgrade, improvements include more playsets that were not available previously,  some new info (and the inevitable corrections of some info that wasn't quite accurate before!) and...perhaps most importantly, this edition is the first to be printed in GLOSSY paper rather than the earlier flat matte printing. So the color photos really pop and are SO much clearer! For new readers, this book covers all of the major (and not-so-major) playsets of BOTH Marx and MPC. And as many of you now, there is not just alot of information available on these playsets, especially MPC. The book covers the various mold groups, dino figures, accessories, and finally playsets that both companies put out during the 50s-80s.

Every playset featured  is shown in FULL COLOR photos, all 100% complete and set up with the box in view and professional photographed, most from my personal collection. Also included are the various playsets that used dinos made from the original Marx and/or MPC molds, such as Toy Street, Superior, Spaulding, Dapol, and even the various knockoffs from Hong Kong. PLUS discussions  on the lookalike dinosaur from other companies that were manufacturing dinosaurs around the same time period that are often confused with the Marx/MPC output, such as Nabisco, Tim Mee Toys, Ja-Ru, Ajax, etc.  AND a handy guide to every playset covered in the book with a checklist of each piece that is found in the set! Over 240 full color photos of dinos, accessories, & playsets fill the book from cover to cover!

This brand new 2020 edition is currently listed on eBay and will be available on Amazon soon. Purchases can also be made directly through me (email for details!!!!!).

And also....I have been working on a follow-up book, entitled More Dinosaur Playsets & Figures, which has been in the works for the past several years and is almost finished and will hopefully be available sometime this summer! This book is a companion book to the Marx book and covers in great detail the plastic dinosaur figures that were around at the same time as the Marx & MPC dinosaurs (these guys are topically covered in a chapter in the Marx/MPC book, but this book is entirely devoted to them), and covers the dinosaurs (and occasional playsets) from Sinclair, Ajax, Tim Mee, Topps, Winneco, Nabisco, the Hong Kong output, Timpe, Linde, Invicta, and more!!!!! (basically, the dinos from the same time period as Marx & MPC that are similar to but are NOT Marx or MPC!). It's in the same format as the Marx book, full of color photos and loaded with information! I'll give more updates as publication date gets closer...for now I am taking names & email addresses for a mailing list of folks who wish to be notified when it's available.

If you are interested in being put on the mailing list or wish to buy the current book without going thru eBay or Amazon, email me at japfeif(*at*)aol.com

Thanks so much for reading and for indulging my shameless plug!    :)
Best, Jeff Pfeiffer

The eBay listing link for the Marx/MPC book is below! (it has some preview pics also!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143595670715

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:52 PM »
Hey guys! Been awhile since I visited these parts....

Well you know you can come around anytime to say a few words. Don't stay away just because you don't have a big announcement to make.

:(

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #456 on: May 05, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
Here's the top part of this MPC Dinosaur Monsters rack toy from horrorhunter's collection:

Interesting that this MPC Dinosaur Monsters set was then repurposed and used to promote Hammer's 1971 flick Creatures the World Forgot:

One of the theater chains put custom stickers on the header cards and used the MPC sets as give-aways to promote the movie. Here's the one from horrorhunter's collection:

;D
I'm pretty sure the theater owners just grabbed whatever prehistoric related items they could get cheap to promote the film. The carded  dinosaur sets were probably given to either the first few ticket buyers (maybe limited to kids), or randomly selected ticket holders, whatever. What ended up being the most strange thing about this is that not only were there no dinos in the film due to the low budget, but this one featured much more topless nudity than the previous Hammer prehistoric movies. So, kid's toys were given away to what was probably a mostly adult audience many of which were there mainly to leer at the bouncing and flouncing. All of this is just assumption on my part since I don't know the real backstory and haven't been able to find out anything about it. If anyone reading this now or at any time in the future does know then please share any info you have about this item in a post or PM.

It is a somewhat odd item, but I'm pleased to have it in my collection. I really like the carded MPC and Marx sets and I'm a big Hammer fan so it's a cool combination of those two areas of collecting. Also, it's probably rare as hen's teeth and possibly could be the last survivor. And, it's an example from a time when theater promotions and ballyhoo made a lot of kids (and grownups) happy and made memories that last a lifetime.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Tauntaun Scout

• New Recruit
« Reply #457 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »
Hi,
Here's a dinosaur playset I had as a kid, purchased around 1988 from Toys R Us. I don't know much about it. The dinosaurs have holes in their bellies that you are supposed to use to wear them for thumb wrestling. A weird play feature if ever there was one. It looks like I lost a couple cavemen. I like that this set also included cavewomen (unlike Marx, MPC  and DFC). There was also a carboard backdrop which I lost. It's probably at my parents house but who knows if I'll ever find it.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #458 on: June 11, 2020, 08:29:24 PM »
Japfeif's book could help you identify/name the set:

:)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:15:28 AM by Hepcat »

Tauntaun Scout

• New Recruit
« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »
I do like that book but this playset was neither Marx nor MPC.

Although, my main purpose in getting it as a kid was to expand the scenery and cavemen for my Marx (well, Superior and Whitehall) dinosaurs!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: June 12, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
I do like that book but this playset was neither Marx nor MPC.

So you're saying you have the book but it doesn't help you identify the particular play set you bought in 1988?

Also included are the various playsets that used dinos made from the original Marx and/or MPC molds, such as Toy Street, Superior, Spaulding, Dapol, and even the various knockoffs from Hong Kong. PLUS discussions  on the lookalike dinosaur from other companies that were manufacturing dinosaurs around the same time period that are often confused with the Marx/MPC output, such as Nabisco, Tim Mee Toys, Ja-Ru, Ajax, etc.  AND a handy guide to every playset covered in the book with a checklist of each piece that is found in the set!

???

Tauntaun Scout

• New Recruit
« Reply #461 on: June 12, 2020, 11:04:12 AM »
So you're saying you have the book but it doesn't help you identify the particular play set you bought in 1988?

???

They key word here is "Marx". These have nothing to do with Marx. The underbellies say "Playtime Prod. 1987 Hong Kong". They don't even vaguely resemble Marx like MPC et al do. These big hollow rubber dinos aren't "lookalikes", "knock-offs" nor are they "made from the original Marx and/or MPC" molds.

They also made a second cheaper smaller playset with a smaller vacu-form base featuring a stream instead of a pond, 2 dinos instead of 4, a pine tree, and no cavemen, backdrop, or caves.

Honestly I am ultimately just looking to sell these eventually. I am not interested in displaying them and they've lost all nostalgia for me.

Lazarus

• Sergeant
  • Monster Kid Forever
« Reply #462 on: June 13, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »
The cavemen in that set are excellent.

BigShadow

• Sergeant
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2020, 04:11:35 AM »
Hey guys! Been awhile since I visited

Just "watched" the book on Ebay.  Will be purchasing later this evening.  Looks really cool, and I love the photos.  Been looking for something like this for a while.  Earlier in the day I was talking to a friend of mine that owns a toy store, Renegade Toys, and he's a huge dinosaur fan.  I've been trying to convince him to sell me his uncut metal dinosaur tin sheet that was used for the old tv dinner trays with fold out legs.  He has the tray too!  He said possibly by Christmas he'd be looking to part with both.

il_570xN.800136077_e92w by Joe Pav, on Flickr

The sheet shows much more scenery and dinosaurs.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/767593183431720/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
Oh wow! Love those dinosaur trays. I'd use one today.

8)