Author Topic: Dinosaur Playsets  (Read 99401 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Re: Dinosaur Playsets
« Reply #420 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
Oh wow! Carded sets are king!

8)

About how expensive was the Ajax to buy?

???

Would the Ajax be third after Marx and MPC when it comes to overall quality of the figures? Or would that be the Timmee figures?

???

That Ajax carded set was probably around the same price as the Timmee carded set from my collection (39 cents):

Ajax and Timmee were about equal regarding quality. The Ajax figures were a bit larger, but the Timmees had more variety and cavemen. Both company's product were well below MPC in size, quality, and price. And, MPC was below Marx, though the MPC 2nd Series Mammals & Monsters are the equal of Marx and reputed to be sculpted by the same sculptor(s) who worked for Marx.

Even though Ajax, Timmee, Lido, Tootsietoy, and Best Plastics, dino figures are considered 2nd rate compared to Marx/MPC they still hold a fond place in the hearts of most Dinokids. It's all pieces of the tapestry that is the '60s/'70s Dinokid Experience.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Finally finished upgrading the really crappy condition copies in my Turok run. Here are two that I bought from different eBay sellers over the past few days:

#10 VG+ (4.5)

#17 VG (4.0)

Those two replaced copies in *ugh* FAIR (1.0) condition. Anyone familiar with comic book grading knows just how wretched a FR copy can be.  ;D

Now everything in the run is at least in the G (2.0) range, and most of them range from around VG for the early issues and FN-VF for the later issues. A few of the later issues are in high grade. Well, that finishes my quest to actively upgrade the Turok issues, but with comic collectors it never truly stops. I still have saved eBay searches for certain issues and if a really great deal for a nice upgrade presents itself I'll probably bite...like T-Rex.  :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #422 on: March 31, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Well, that finishes my quest to actively upgrade the Turok issues, but with comic collectors it never truly stops. :laugh:

No, stop it never does!

;D
Collecting! It's what I do!

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
That Ajax carded set was probably around the same price as the Timmee carded set from my collection (39 cents):

Ajax and Timmee were about equal regarding quality. The Ajax figures were a bit larger, but the Timmees had more variety and cavemen. Both company's product were well below MPC in size, quality, and price. And, MPC was below Marx, though the MPC 2nd Series Mammals & Monsters are the equal of Marx and reputed to be sculpted by the same sculptor(s) who worked for Marx.

Even though Ajax, Timmee, Lido, Tootsietoy, and Best Plastics, dino figures are considered 2nd rate compared to Marx/MPC they still hold a fond place in the hearts of most Dinokids. It's all pieces of the tapestry that is the '60s/'70s Dinokid Experience.

They say the set is unreakable.  I guess many of the plastic figures of the time smelled so bad, Tim-mee felt the need to state that theirs did not. :P
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
So did anybody here score a chocolate tyrannosaurus rex or other dinosaur over the weekend? You know something conveying the true spirit of Easter?

???

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #425 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
Are dragons a type of dinosaur?

???

If so, has anybody else seen Dragon Snot in vending machines?

There's some in one of the vending machines at Ted Reeves Arena just across the way from my house. A whole capsule full for one measly doubloon!

8)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #426 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
Dragons are creatures of fantasy and myth. Dinosaurs are scientifically proven to have actually existed. Though, sometimes the lines blur between myth and historical fact. You never know what paleontologists will unearth next. They keep changing "historical fact" as they dig up more fossils. Remember the "tail draggers" from the '60s that were accepted as fact? And, the Brontosaurus which was later understood to be an Apatosaurus skeleton with a Camarosaurus skull?

I still like Brontosaurus and tail dragging dinos. They may not be "fact" today, but they were when I was a kid, and the toys from the time reflect that. Also, Brontosaurus is still correct regarding the Marx, MPC, and other figures of the time. They're labeled as Brontosaurus and by god they are Brontosaurus.  ;)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #427 on: April 19, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
I still like Brontosaurus and tail dragging dinos. They may not be "fact" today, but they were when I was a kid, and the toys from the time reflect that.

My litmus test in this regard is whether you (or any person) continues to regard dimetrodons and plesiosaurs as dinosaurs despite paleontologists desperate attempts to retcon them off the list.

Dragons are creatures of fantasy and myth. Dinosaurs are scientifically proven to have actually existed. Though, sometimes the lines blur between myth and historical fact. You never know what paleontologists will unearth next. They keep changing "historical fact" as they dig up more fossils.

There have been just too many eyewitness accounts of dragons to cavalierly dismiss them as creatures of fantasy and myth. The problem is of course that scientists are fixated on old bones to the exclusion of all else, and sadly an intact dragon skeleton has not yet been found.

:-\

We could probably use Flower's input here. I understand that she's our resident expert on dragons.

:)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:16:22 PM by Hepcat »

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #428 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
My litmus test in this regard is whether you (or any person) continues to regard dimetrodons and plesiosaurs as dinosaurs despite paleontologists desperate attempts to retcon them off the list.

This photo is clear that Dinosaurs did exist.  Otherwise, how could we have this solid evidence?
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #429 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Forsooth! Hard evidence indeed.

cl:)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #430 on: April 19, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »

This photo is clear that Dinosaurs did exist.  Otherwise, how could we have this solid evidence?

Wowzers!

Here's a dragon pic, sooo... I guess dragons ARE real!  :o

:D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
Here are a couple of comic magazine ads for the Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits that I lifted off the net:

And here's a Captain Company ad from a Warren magazine:

cl:)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Look at this wild eye-catching Dinosaur in My Pocket line that Hardee's distributed as kids' meal premiums!

8)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #433 on: May 22, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
Mattel Strange Change: The Lost World playset sells for over $450 including shipping on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/664-STUNNING-NEAR-MINT-VINTAGE-60-039-S-MATTEL-STRANGE-CHANGE-LOST-WORLD-W-BOX-/112409931074?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=8uWcWgvJT7S5JYWXcbJKxuajGdw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's the nicest one I've seen, but two things jump out- The listing doesn't say that the heating unit still works, and nearly all of the "time capsules" are still in unmade form. I've never seen one with the corrugated packing pieces still included. Hopefully the new owner can make his monsters/dinos because those are the coolest part of the set. The highest price I've seen one of these sets sell for up until now is around $150. We're seeing crazy prices on certain comics and monster mags so it follows that monster toy prices should go nuts as well. We that bought our stuff back when it was affordable have it pretty sweet. Starting collecting this stuff now would be tough on the wallet.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

japfeif

• New Recruit
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
Hey all you dinosaur fans!! Been awhile since I visited here, but wanted to tell anyone who may be interested that my new book "Dinosaur Playsets: an Illustrated Guide to the Prehistoric Playsets of Marx and MPC, Expanded Edition" is now available! I know some of you guys purchased the original, limited run version last year. As with that book, this new edition is FULLY ILLUSTRATED with color photos of every major (and even "minor") prehistoric playsets that were put out by Marx and it's most famous contemporary, Multiple Products Corporation (MPC). Info is presented on the various boxed, carded, & bagged sets from both companies, as well as detailed discussions of the different accessories that were included. Pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the dinosaur output of these two companies is presented here. Plus side-by-side comparisons of the different booklets, Marx figures vs. MPC, and the many different reissue/recast sets that were put out by such companies as Toy Street, Superior, Spaulding, Marx of Miami, etc.

Unfortunately, the original version of the book has long been totally sold out and is out of print. However, this new version contains ALL the info from the previous version, so if you didn't get the first one, no harm done...this is not like a "continuation" or a  "part 2" or anything. It's basically the original version with new stuff added (figures & sets from Ajax, Ja-RU, TimMee, Topps, etc....basically dino figures that are and often have been mistaken for either Marx and/or MPC. Additional, any mistakes from the first edition (yes, there WERE some that fellow collectors pointed out....which I very much appreciated!!) have been corrected, some pics enhanced a bit, and certain items I had no pics for or much info about are now included! This is actually the version that was the original vision for the first book, but due to timeline and deadline restraints, the first version had to go out a bit incomplete!

This new book lists for $44.99 on Amazon (be sure to click on the "buy from third-party sellers" link) plus $3.99 shipping, or you can send money directly to me via paypal (japfeif(*at*)aol.com) for $44.99 + $3 shipping (a bit cheaper on the shipping thru me). Also, as an incentive to those who purchased the first book, if  you bought the original version last year I'm offering a 30% discount (since much of the info is included again), which would make it $35 (plus $3 shipping).

If you order thru the PayPal method, PLEASE be sure to choose the "send to friends & family" option, and to include your mailing address in the notes!!! For a bit more detailed info on this book, please see my ads in Playset Magazine and The Prehistoric Times.

Please do not hesitate to email me with ANY questions at japfeif(*at*)aol.com.

Thanks to everyone who purchased the original book, and I hope that some of you folks will be interested in this one as well!
many thanks, Jeff Pfeiffer