Author Topic: Custom Monster Playset  (Read 16248 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Custom Monster Playset
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »
Have you considered using the figures in the bag on the upper right of this picture for one of your custom playsets?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wicked Lester

• Sergeant
  • You won't hear me until it's too late!
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Maybe I can find the right zombie figures for it sometime. The Walking Dead Horde figures seem to be considered "rare collectibles" now, and the few that are available are 50 bucks for a small package of them. With the popularity of zombies now some toy company will surely do good sculpts of 54mm zombies at some point. I'll just wait.

If you can't afford the WD Zombie horde,which are pretty easy to find,you may want to try these.

BOX O Zombies. 6 figure set with great sculpts and details. There are a couple sets on Ebay even cheaper than the $14.99 Amazon has them for.

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
Have you considered using the figures in the bag on the upper right of this picture for one of your custom playsets?

???

I plan to buy those for my collection but I don't see Universal Monsters fitting into this custom because it centers on the MPC Monsters (Unholy Eight) being the big bads. The Angry Villagers...maybe, but a backward European torch wielding mob really isn't a good fit for it either. Contemporary civilians with rifles and shotguns would be better, but the only thing I've seen close to that are the figures in one of the cheap zombie bags and they are pretty wimpy and don't look very good. Anyway, I've packed the Haunted Graveyard Playset full and I'm considering it finished.

Regarding using the Universal Monsters figures in another custom playset, I probably won't do that. I'm more interested in doing original sets and not treading well beaten paths. As I stated before, I do plan to buy a couple of sets of those to add to my collection of most anything to do with Marx/MPC style monster playsets.

The way some of these litigation mongers are digging, and gouging, a custom UniMon playset might get ripped right out of your closet by jackbooted authorities on the authorization of some palm greased judge to set an example. This is an extreme exaggeration bordering on the ridiculous to be sure, but judging from some of the things we've seen lately regarding custom toys it makes me wonder how far they will go with all of this example setting. I was going to put a laughing emoticon here but now that I think about it it isn't really funny...just aggravating.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:20:17 PM by horrorhunter »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
If you can't afford the WD Zombie horde,which are pretty easy to find,you may want to try these.

BOX O Zombies. 6 figure set with great sculpts and details. There are a couple sets on Ebay even cheaper than the $14.99 Amazon has them for.

The WD Zombie Horde is way overpriced but I would buy them if they were a perfect fit for that Voodoo Island set I was contemplating. What I really need are more standard Haitian or African type zombies raised by a classic voodoo priest (houngan). They need to be dressed in tattered rags instead of civilian clothing like most zombie figures are. I may never find the right kind of zombie figures for the set in which case I'll just not make it. Those Marx Daktari figures and huts look pretty good and I would want to go for a more realistic Marx type look on the Voodoo Island set instead of the stylized MPC type look of the Haunted Graveyard Playset. Thanks for the recommendation, WL, but the Box O Zombies doesn't fit the bill either.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
The way some of these litigation mongers are digging, and gouging, a custom UniMon playset might get ripped right out of your closet by jackbooted authorities on the authorization of some palm greased judge to set an example. This is an extreme exaggeration bordering on the ridiculous to be sure, but judging from some of the things we've seen lately regarding custom toys it makes me wonder how far they will go with all of this example setting.

Actually two elements are required for a patent/copyright infringement suit to be levied.

1. An item must be copied/reproduced. Using "existing" pieces would therefore not meet this condition. Therefore in the case of say a vinyl LP, one can sell or lend the LP to a friend without that constituting copyright infringement.

2. The copied/reproduced item must then be distributed to others (rather than just kept for personal use).

Therefore one can make a copy on cassette tape or CD of a vinyl LP one already owns for use in one's own car stereo or ghetto blaster without an infraction occurring. One can also make a T-shirt for oneself incorporating the image on the LP jacket. If however a reproduced item is then even lent to a friend, that would constitute distribution and thus an infraction under law.

Like I say, the elements of both reproduction as well as distribution must be present in order for there to be an infraction under law.

:)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:25:26 PM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »
The WD Zombie Horde is way overpriced but I would buy them if they were a perfect fit for that Voodoo Island set I was contemplating. What I really need are more standard Haitian or African type zombies raised by a classic voodoo priest (houngan). They need to be dressed in tattered rags instead of civilian clothing like most zombie figures are.

I agree! The Walking Dead Zombie Horde isn't worth the price being asked. Moreover zombies just aren't "right" unless they're dressed in tattered clothing after having been raised from the dead by a proper houngan in Haiti or the Louisiana bayou.

cl:)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:01:24 PM by Hepcat »