My Top 15 Greatest Toys Ever!!

Started by Mego Stretch Hulk, September 08, 2013, 10:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mego Stretch Hulk

Quote from: Hepcat on September 11, 2013, 04:11:38 PM
Huh? How could any of the toys in your list be classified among the greatest toys ever? In order to be anointed with that exalted label, a toy must demonstrate legs, i.e. longevity. I would expect to see toys the likes of these (in no particular order) on such a list:

Crayola crayons
Play-Doh
Barbie
Monopoly
Clue
Candy Land
Trivial Pursuit
Scrabble
Twister
Ideal Mouse Trap
G.I. Joe
Lego
Meccano Erector Set
Wham-O Frisbee
Hula Hoop
Yo-Yo
Nerf Ball
Rubik's Cube
Spirograph
Slinky
Silly Putty
Lionel train sets
Scalextric slot cars
Aurora AFX T-Jets
Hot Wheels
Matchbox cars
Tonka Dump truck
G.I. Joe
Aurora Frankenstein
Great Garloo
Johnny Seven OMA
Chatty Cathy
Cabbage Patch Kids
My Little Pony
Beanie Babies
Easy-Bake Oven
Mattel Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker
Marx Alamo(?) Playset

Here are three books I can recommend on the greatest toys of all-time:

The toys in your list were basically flash-in-the-pan items with no staying power. While they may have been among your favourites at the time, they hardly deserve the appellation "greatest".

:o

I think you missed the title where stated that I listed "MY" 15 Greatest toys ever. While these toys mean a lot to the masses, they have no historical value to me.

And I'm guessing if Beanie Babies are your thing, well....
I run Saturday Morning Collectibles where we buy, sell and trade everything pop culture. We have 1,000's of items so PM me or email me at johnstretch(*at*)live.com.

Hepcat

Quote from: Mego Stretch Hulk on September 14, 2013, 02:16:28 PM
I think you missed the title where stated that I listed "MY" 15 Greatest toys ever.

You know very well the problem was not the word "My".  The problem was with the word "Greatest". Here I suggest to you a constructive easy-fix solution, and you fight it. Just change the title of your list why don't you?

Quote from: Mego Stretch Hulk on September 14, 2013, 02:16:28 PM
And I'm guessing if Beanie Babies are your thing, well....

A cheap shot. I said nothing about "My Favourites". And I didn't use the modifier "Boys". I said only "Greatest".

::)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Hepcat

Quote from: marsattacks666 on September 09, 2013, 03:52:50 AM
My top 15 toy list changes often. So this week, I will choose some great toys that I own from my childhood. Here is my list:

Hot Wheels

Quote from: Illoman on September 10, 2013, 09:03:27 PM
I guess by greatest you mean "greatest" to me!

9. Hot Wheels: we had track all over the house.

I'm betting that Hot Wheels would appear on a lot of boys' lists!

:)

marsattacks666

Quote from: Hepcat on September 14, 2013, 03:42:07 PM
I'm betting that Hot Wheels would appear on a lot of boys' lists!

:)

Totally. :D
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Sly Wolf

I enjoyed reading your top 15 greatest toys list... It's very interesting and full of info, history, and why you put it on the list in the first place make it much more fun to read.

Thumbs up.
Collecting? It's what I do!

Haunted hearse

This sort of reminds me of the debate between which is the greater TV show, the Addams Family or Musnters.  I prefer the Addams family, but I love both shows, and I find it interesting the reason someone places value on a favorite.  I've seen both Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heros placed on the list of all time worst TV shows, yet I like Gilligan's Island, and I love Hogan's Heroes.  If somebody mentioned that a Blotto Nose figure was their favoirte toy of all time, even though the toy it's self has no appeal to me, I still wouldn't mind reading why somebody picked their nose.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Mego Stretch Hulk

Quote from: Sly Wolf on September 15, 2013, 04:30:39 AM
I enjoyed reading your top 15 greatest toys list... It's very interesting and full of info, history, and why you put it on the list in the first place make it much more fun to read.

Thumbs up.

Thanks my friend, glad you enjoyed it.
I run Saturday Morning Collectibles where we buy, sell and trade everything pop culture. We have 1,000's of items so PM me or email me at johnstretch(*at*)live.com.

Street Worm

I'll play-
here's 15 of my favorites:

01- Aurora Monster Models
02- Pop-Top Horrors
03- Marx Monsters
04- Nutty Mads
05- Robot Commando (HM - Great Garloo)
06- Remco M.O.N.K.E.Y. Division
07- Agent Zero M
08- GI Joe
09- Captain Action
10- Best Of the West
11- Kenner Alien & Predator (started my 'all growed up' toy collecting)
12- Toy Biz: Marvel-Super Heroes   
13- Spawn
14- Sideshow 8" Universal Monsters
15- Diamond's Munsters ('bout time!)

An HM for Remco's 'Dashboad Dolls' especially their Munsters & Addams Family dolls (including Li'l Soldier Joe & Cowboy Pete)
And a very special HM for the Rat Fink rings & chams of the mid '60s-

jimm

hot wheels
kenner ssp
micronauts
mego action figures
mpc horror figures
GI joes
star wars
Marx playsets
marvel legends
Marx 6 inch figures
ahi horror figures
horikawa robots
nutty mads and their off_shoots
palmer monsters
sideshow monsters

Mego Stretch Hulk

Great lists, any chance we can get more individual items than entire lines?

jimm

Quote from: jimm on September 16, 2013, 12:58:25 AM
hot wheels
kenner ssp
micronauts
mego action figures
mpc horror figures
GI joes
star wars
Marx playsets
marvel legends
Marx 6 inch figures
ahi horror figures
horikawa robots
nutty mads and their off_shoots
palmer monsters
sideshow monsters

OK

Hot Wheels Custom Cougar
Kenner SSP destruction derby set
Micronauts Baron Karza
Mego POA Gorilla Soldier
MPC Haunted Hulk
GIJoe Aircraft carrier
Star Wars Walker (the big one)
Marx Navarone playset
Marvel Legends Fin Fang Room
Marx Creature
AHI Creature
Horikawa attacking martian
Nutty Mads battery op car
Palmer Kong
Sideshow Creature 12"

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Okay. So to stay as true to the spirit of Mego Stretch Hulk's original list as possible, I limited my selections to only those toys I either had or really coveted but never managed to obtain as a kid. Accordingly I had to reject a lot of very cool toys from that era simply because I just don't remember even being aware of them at the time, e.g. Ideal King Zor, Kenner Give-A-Show Projector, MPC Pop-Tops, Ideal Godzilla Board Game, Hamilton's Invaders, MPC Horror House Target Set, Ideal Haunted House, Marx Prehistoric Times Playset....

Here then in rough order is my final list:

MY FIFTEEN FAVOURITE TOYS FROM MY CHILDHOOD YEARS

1. Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory

2. Monogram 330P/LM Ferrari 1/32 Scale Slot Car Kit

3. Aurora Bride of Frankenstein Model Kit

4. Lionel HO Electric Train Set with Launching Helicopter and Bobbing Head Giraffe Cars

5. Revell Rat Fink Model Kit

6. Duncan Imperial Spin Top

7. Marx Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle

8. Hasbro Marble Maze

9. Kenner Rocky & Bullwinkle Presto Sparkle Paint Set

10. Parker Bros. Monopoly Game

11. Cox Spitfire

12. Topper Johnny Seven O.M.A.

13. Mattel Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker

14. Milton Bradley The Deputy Game

15. Coleco Power Play Hockey Game

Honourable mention goes to two items that didn't make my list because I wasn't sure they could be properly classified as toys:

Standard Plastics Creature-Wolfman Monster Wallet

Peacock Crayons

Peacock Crayons were produced by the Canada Crayon Company and were the dominant brand of crayons in my neck of the woods. The window cutout was eliminated from Peacock Crayon boxes circa 1961. These crayons of course needed the accompaniment of colouring books. I remember admiring Shari Lewis and Deputy Dawg colouring books at the News Depot in downtown London but I can't say for sure whether these were colouring books I actually had.

8)

Mego Stretch Hulk

Quote from: Hepcat on September 18, 2013, 09:27:38 PM
Okay. So to stay as true to the spirit of Mego Stretch Hulk's original list as possible, I limited my selections to only those toys I either had or really coveted but never managed to obtain as a kid. Accordingly I had to reject a lot of very cool toys from that era simply because I just don't remember even being aware of them at the time, e.g. Ideal King Zor, Kenner Give-A-Show Projector, MPC Pop-Tops, Ideal Godzilla Board Game, Hamilton's Invaders, MPC Horror House Target Set, Ideal Haunted House, Marx Prehistoric Times Playset....

Here then in rough order is my final list:

MY FIFTEEN FAVOURITE TOYS FROM MY CHILDHOOD YEARS

1. Mad, Mad, Mad Scientist Laboratory

2. Monogram 330P/LM Ferrari 1/32 Scale Slot Car Kit

3. Aurora Bride of Frankenstein Model Kit

4. Lionel HO Electric Train Set with Launching Helicopter and Bobbing Head Giraffe Cars

5. Revell Rat Fink Model Kit

6. Duncan Imperial Spin Top

7. Marx Three Keys to Treasure Bagatelle

8. Hasbro Marble Maze

9. Kenner Rocky & Bullwinkle Presto Sparkle Paint Set

10. Parker Bros. Monopoly Game

11. Cox Spitfire

12. Topper Johnny Seven O.M.A.

1964 JOHNNY SEVEN OMA TOY GUN COMMERCIAL

13. Mattel Creepy Crawlers Thingmaker

14. Milton Bradley The Deputy Game

15. Coleco Power Play Hockey Game

Honourable mention goes to two items that didn't make my list because I wasn't sure they could be properly classified as toys:

Standard Plastics Creature-Wolfman Monster Wallet

Peacock Crayons

These crayons of course needed the accompaniment of colouring books. I remember admiring Shari Lewis and Deputy Dawg colouring books at the News Depot in downtown London but I can't say for sure whether these were colouring books I actually had.

8)

Now this is more like it ;)...great list

jimm

I used to love playing those tabletop hockey games