Woolworth/Woolco Hallowe'en

Started by marsattacks666, September 07, 2013, 04:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimm

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

My mother spent many an hour haunting the aisles of Woolworth and the other three five-and-dimes in downtown London - Kresge, Zellers and Metropolitan - for bargains. She'd frequently have me in tow but I didn't mind at all. I'd spend my time eyeing the toys including the Aurora monster models, the bulk candies, the goldfish, budgies and little turtles. My end game though was to get my mother to buy me an ice cream or a milkshake at the fabulous lunch counter with which these stores were invariably equipped. Here's a picture of a Woolworth menu:

And here are some shots of various Woolworth lunch counters:

These often came equipped with a very cool Campbell's or Heinz soup display:

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Haunted hearse

Quote from: Hepcat on September 12, 2013, 06:29:59 PM

And here are some shots of various Woolworth lunch counters:

8)
The use of the beat up Coke sign, appears from a preserved, or retro diner.  Typically you wouldn't see beat up signage, as 40 years ago, that would have been considered junk.  However, in recent years, many places which want to have nostalgic appeal hang weather beaten signs for their nostalgic appeal.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

John Pertwee

We had a Woolco in Wichita, and my Dad worked there as a Floor Walker. He busted shop lifters every time he worked, and chased down runners while wearing cowboy boots.

GeekDragon

There used to be a Wolworths here in Chicago I used to go to for candy.  I would always get gum cigars and the awesome candy coffins.  Ah, the memories.

Hepcat

There had to be lots and lots of Woolworth stores in Chicago! There were two (or three?) in downtown London, Ontario!

:)

GeekDragon

Personally, I only remember one.  I'm sure there were more, but there was only one that I went to as a kid.

Hepcat

Quote from: GeekDragon on September 23, 2013, 03:22:51 AM
There used to be a Wolworths here in Chicago I used to go to for candy.  I would always get gum cigars.... Ah, the memories.

Mmmmmm! They were Swell! I didn't even have to go that far for them as they were available at Steve's Variety and Gift Shop just over a block away. Unfortunately they cost a whopping fifteen cents each at the time.

:(

Scatter

Quote from: CreepysFan on September 09, 2013, 09:43:57 AM

Nope, I have to agree with Mars.   Nostalgia is fine, but I really need  way back in time to childhood.
Ditto pal.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Scatter

Quote from: BryanBaugh on September 11, 2013, 07:55:50 AM
Oh man, those photos take me back to my childhood. There was a Woolworth store in my home town where I grew up, and I remember it being THE place to find all the oddball toys and weird holiday-themed items you didn't see at most other stores.

There was also another store very similar to it called McCrory's.

And yes, in the late 70's my little sister most certainly did choose Holly Hobby as one of her favorites. I remember her carrying that doll around everywhere when she was little. In the same way that us boys had Mego figures before Star Wars toys came along and changed everything, girls had Holly Hobby before Cabbage Patch Dolls appeared...
You probably had to be a kid of the 70's - and have a little sister - to understand that. Haha.

-
Yup, I remember McCrorys too! And Star Wars didn't just change everything in toys.....it freaking RUINED everything, popularizing the exceedingly lame 3 3/4" figures which eventually even cut the balls off of Classic GI Joe and MEGO. Star Wars is a boil on the ass of humanity in so many ways.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Hepcat

Quote from: Scatter on September 28, 2013, 07:48:56 AM...it freaking RUINED everything.... Star Wars is a boil on the ass of humanity in so many ways.

;D

Mord

Quote from: Scatter on September 28, 2013, 07:48:56 AM
Yup, I remember McCrorys too! And Star Wars didn't just change everything in toys.....it freaking RUINED everything, popularizing the exceedingly lame 3 3/4" figures which eventually even cut the balls off of Classic GI Joe and MEGO. Star Wars is a boil on the ass of humanity in so many ways.
How did you beat me to it?

jimm

Gimmee an articulated 3 3/4 Uni monster line by Mez and we shall see who doesn't love 3 3/4  C:)

GeekDragon

Hepcat, those are the exact cigars.  Remember the box of cigarette gun where you blow and "smoke" come out?