Woolworth/Woolco Hallowe'en

Started by marsattacks666, September 07, 2013, 04:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

This might confirm that the photo is from 1974 and it might also help identifying some of the candy ..  http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=6534
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

CreepysFan

Quote from: Hepcat on September 08, 2013, 09:50:50 PM
I don't need any more than photos like these to feel incrediblie nostalgia.

Nope, I have to agree with Mars.   Nostalgia is fine, but I really need  way back in time to childhood.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

Hepcat

Quote from: Flower on September 09, 2013, 01:38:34 AMThis might confirm that the photo is from 1974 and it might also help identifying some of the candy ..  http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=6534

Mmmmmmmm, delicious!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Wich2

Love it.

And most of that stuff was in the great old glass case at my hometown's G.C. Murphy's (which had been a Woolworth's in my Dad's day.)

I still use a GOLD RUSH bag as my cellphone case!

-Craig

Flower

Quote from: Wich2 on September 09, 2013, 03:16:59 PM
I still use a GOLD RUSH bag as my cellphone case!

-Craig

Very cool ..  8)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

robodog

Quote from: Haunted hearse on September 07, 2013, 08:30:09 PM
Because when I think of Halloween, "Holly Hobby" is the first thing that comes to mind!:P

I've never really understood Holly Hobby. Even for dolls those things have always seemed bland and dull as dishwater. I seriously doubt any girl ever willingly chose Holly Hobby over things like Cabbage Patch Kids or Rainbow Brite.

marsattacks666

Quote from: robodog on September 10, 2013, 06:05:37 PM
I've never really understood Holly Hobby. Even for dolls those things have always seemed bland and dull as dishwater. I seriously doubt any girl ever willingly chose Holly Hobby over things like Cabbage Patch Kids or Rainbow Brite.

Holly Hobby was around the late sixties early seventies. The character was very popular. Rainbow Brite, however, didn't make her way until nineteen eighty-four. Both characters very different, but very unique.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

BryanBaugh

Oh man, those photos take me back to my childhood. There was a Woolworth store in my home town where I grew up, and I remember it being THE place to find all the oddball toys and weird holiday-themed items you didn't see at most other stores.

There was also another store very similar to it called McCrory's.

And yes, in the late 70's my little sister most certainly did choose Holly Hobby as one of her favorites. I remember her carrying that doll around everywhere when she was little. In the same way that us boys had Mego figures before Star Wars toys came along and changed everything, girls had Holly Hobby before Cabbage Patch Dolls appeared...
You probably had to be a kid of the 70's - and have a little sister - to understand that. Haha.

-

houseoftheunusual

Two things did anybody ever go to a woolco store? I never saw one as a kid. I did all my shopping at Woolworth and another one called Two Guys...Two Guys today is Vornado Realty the largest real estate holdings in the country. They bought Toys R Us before it went bankrupt. One thing that I will always hold dear to my heart, is that way back between  1968 and 1970 my parents took me about three times to one of the first Toy R Us in the Country on Route 4 in Paramus NJ. I wish I could just have a time capsule to just be in that store in the 1970's...WOW!!!
Eddie

marsattacks666

Quote from: houseoftheunusual on September 11, 2013, 08:16:36 AM
Two things did anybody ever go to a woolco store? I never saw one as a kid. I did all my shopping at Woolworth and another one called Two Guys...Two Guys today is Vornado Realty the largest real estate holdings in the country. They bought Toys R Us before it went bankrupt. One thing that I will always hold dear to my heart, is that way back between  1968 and 1970 my parents took me about three times to the first Toy R Us in the Country on Route 4 in Paramus NJ. I wish I could just have a time capsule to just be in that store in the 1970's...WOW!!!

I don't remember Woolco.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

houseoftheunusual

The commercials always said Woolworth and woolco???
Eddie

Flower

I remember loving to go to Children's Bargain Town

https://www.facebook.com/ChildrensBargainTownUSA

Scroll down a bit on the link below for information on Woolco and other cool stuff ..

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/page3.html

Hepcat

Quote from: houseoftheunusual on September 11, 2013, 08:16:36 AMTwo things did anybody ever go to a woolco store? I never saw one as a kid. I did all my shopping at Woolworth....

Quote from: marsattacks666 on September 11, 2013, 08:34:33 AMI don't remember Woolco.

Further flung suburbs started to mushroom around inner cities in the fifties. To follow this customer base, the Woolworth Corporation in 1962 began to open stores in suburban shopping plazas that were bigger than the traditional downtown Woolwroth stores, and called these new stores Woolco. These competed with the K-Mart stores of the Kresge Corporation.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

I remember Woolco. That's where I saw the Uni monster Pez and Addams Family/Munsters Remco figures back when I was a child.

mightyquinn

Here is my Woolco I went to in my younger years.  Seems like it was more of a discount store of overstock or items that didn't sell at other stores.  Maybe kind of like a Big Lots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/androidny/6945475430/#