Author Topic: Woolworth/Woolco Hallowe'en  (Read 21351 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Woolworth/Woolco Hallowe'en
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:24 AM »
Sadly though it sounds as if it's all gone and hardly anything interesting remains downtown.

:(

What about the south side? Has it lost its predominantly Polish-Ukrainian makeup/flavour?

???

Collecting! It's what I do!

skully

• Corporal
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
Yes, Hepcat, sadly, it has.  Most of the historic stores that once lined Penn St. have been torn down, Reading had at one time an economic plan which turned sour shortly after it was implemented. Downtown Reading is now virtually, in my opinion, a vast "ghost-town" of "the way it used to be" memories, and the stark realization of how it is really now, a place where you don't want to be walking around after dark. The Polish and Ukrainian have long since died off, or moved out.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Without a doubt the downtown five-and-dimes were certainly Halloween central right through the baby boom years.

:-\

Allhallowsday

• Sergeant
  • Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »
Here in New Jersey the idea of the "downtown" shopping area had died off in just about every community I can think of that had once been shopping destinations: Newark, Asbury Park, Bloomfield...(Irvington Union South Orange) most of the store fronts are empty, occupied (always briefly) or maybe torn down.  There have been efforts at rehabilitation, most apparent in Asbury Park which has nice restaurants, a nice theatre, and the boardwalk on the ocean.  I think people who sell in Asbury Park struggle to survive, and usually don't last.  In "the old days", people avoided driving to some "downtown" when you could just go to the mall... think '70s '80s even '90s...
Apparently now, they shop online. 

If you want to view Paradise, simply look around and view it.

skully

• Corporal
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
When the Berkshire Mall was built in Wyomissing here either in late 69, or early 70 (can't remember exactly),  it was always crowded because of the "new" concept of shopping like this, it was really something.  I honestly couldn't wait to go there to shop, or just look around at all the stores. It lasted for a while, but eventually the "luster" wore off, like anything else.  Now, many malls, this one included, seems to be more of a hangout of sorts, I can even say that for the King of Prussia Mall not too far away, really big, many up-scale stores, but now I mainly walk the mall with my Starbucks coffee in hand and just browse some stores.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »
The last operating Woolworth luncheonette in America can be found in what is now the Five & Dime Antique Mall in Bakersfield, California:

The Last Woolworth Luncheonette

8)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
The last operating Woolworth luncheonette in America can be found in what is now the Five & Dime Antique Mall in Bakersfield, California:

The Last Woolworth Luncheonette

8)

Awesomeness!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Kidagain

• Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2019, 05:35:58 PM »
So sad these places are gone from across America. Time for a time travel trip,who has the machine?Thanks for the pics Hep.

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
Another exquisitely preserved Woolworth luncheonette counter can be found in Peaches Records in a funky neighbourhood on historic old Magazine Street in New Orleans:

Time Capsule Diner - MessyNessyChic

Peaches Records is attempting to raise the funds to bring the dinette back into operation:

Save the Woolworth Counter - Peaches Records

:)

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »
Another exquisitely preserved Woolworth luncheonette counter can be found in Peaches Records in a funky neighbourhood on historic old Magazine Street in New Orleans:

Time Capsule Diner - MessyNessyChic

Peaches Records is attempting to raise the funds to bring the dinette back into operation:

Save the Woolworth Counter - Peaches Records

:)

Wow! I really thought Peaches was gone.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2019, 12:37:39 AM »

FRANKENSTEIN - Ad - Woolworth's - October 24, 1963 *

I really like this ad, but it would look better with some color.  Any members want to tackle "colorizing" this one?

* Click on picture for larger image.

ADAM

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »

FRANKENSTEIN - Ad - Woolworth's - October 24, 1963 *

I really like this ad, but it would look better with some color.  Any members want to tackle "colorizing" this one?

* Click on picture for larger image.

Maybe in neon green or orange

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »

Will this ad do in its place?

???

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
Will this ad do in its place?... 

I'm BLIND!
ADAM

Kidagain

• Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2019, 03:38:50 PM »
Maybe if we keep staring at them we will be transported back to Woolworths for a short time just to walk around and relive our youth again.