Funko/Super 7 bringing back Remco mini-monsters!!

Started by StyreneDude, September 03, 2013, 03:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatter

Quote from: VulcansFury on February 26, 2014, 02:33:39 AM
Maybe if you bothered to watch any of the Alien supplemental features youd see where Ridley stated he was funded due to the success of Star Wars. Same thing goes for the revival of Star Trek. But lets not let facts get in the way of ranting, huh? I mean, we had movies about aliens before George Lucas, thats why there was so much merchandise in the 1970s for This Island Earth, right? Gort was a mainstay on every playground for decades after The Day the Earth Stood Still came out, right? Keanu was a fan, so at least theres that!

George Lucas wasnt the first person to make a movie with aliens, but he was the first to make ungodly amounts of money off of it, and more importantly off of movie merchandise. Its because of that we have what we have today. Nobody had a standing sfx shop or creature shop, it was just people hired for each gig. SW created such a boom in sci fi projects that we got studios created just to focus on creating sfx, monsters, etc, like Stan Winston, etc.

So, had Star Wars not been made, no money would have ever been available to make "Alien"? How did the folks who created all those sci fi features BEFORE Star Wars get funding?? Or did they look into the future, see Star Wars coming, and fund those hundreds of movies based upon that?

Again, read, don't read INTO. Star Wars may have been the vehicle which green-lit the funding for "Alien", but that is a FAR cry from a claim that in a universe where Star Wars never existed (oh, would that it were so!), "Alien" COULD NEVER have been made. Sci Fi movies have been funded for a century from sources that had nothing to do with Star Wars.

That's like saying that because Chase bank funded my mortgage, I could have never bought my home if Chase bank had never existed. No, the funding would simply and inevitably have come from another source. To assume otherwise in the case of "Alien" is to fly in the face of history and common sense, since movies have been funded from non Star Wars sources for over 100 years..........including the movie that "Alien" ripped off.
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

VulcansFury

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 26, 2014, 02:24:36 AM
I'll have to check that documentary out!  I can't believe a toy company would just sit on their laurels and not develop anything until a property comes out?  Unbelievable! I guess I just assumed that Kenner had the license in 1976 right after Mego declined but if they didn't get the license until after the movie was in theaters that would explain it.  That makes one wonder though if Mego was reoffered the line as well?  But certainly they would have jumped on it by that point given the films success.  So did the employees give an excuse as to why their figures never improved after that initial rushed wave?  Or is it as Mord stated, if it ain't broke don't fix it!  Oh and just for clarification....I can be way more wrong than this.

Mego was offered the license first before the film came out. If I remember my history correctly, the head of Mego told Lucas to "f" off, but definitely passed in a very rude manner. So when the film was successful, and Mego came crawling back to Lucas to license any form of toy Lucas might grant him, Lucas refused to do anything with Mego due to the owners rude dismissal.

As for later waves, first off they still kept reissuing and reselling the original 1978 figures in 1983, so its not like they were going to drastically change the style. But if youve ever seen the wax sculpts of the 1983 figures, you'd see there was more detail included than survived the casting process, and even then they were still more detailed than the  1978 stuff.

But the main thought process behind vintage Star Wars toys was that there had to be vehicles, which would be too expensive to do for 8inch figures, and they had to be inexpensive enough so kids could realistically "collect them all", so their size and lack of articulation were a factor there.

Scatter

Quote from: VulcansFury on February 26, 2014, 02:39:36 AM

ZombieHorror said "All of these playsets (although full of nostalgia) pale in comparison to the stuff Hasbro put out for their 3 3/4 G.I. Joe line!" He was talking about Hasbro's 3 3/4 inch line, not their 12 inch line. Reading is indeed fundamental. You're posting pictures based on your misinterpretation of ZH's claim.

Wrong. Again. The conversation BEGAN with my claim that the Kenner 3 3/4 inch figures were the ruination of decent action figures like the 12" G.I. Joe. I then posted photos of the 12" Joes with the 3 3/4 inch SW figures as an illustration of the comparison we were discussing (which is the relative merit of TWELVE inch figures over THREE INCH figures).

Normally, the posting of pics of 12" figures against 3" figures as illustration would have clarified any misunderstanding you may have gleaned from being too lazy to follow the thread back to the original posting. ZH certainly had no difficulty following the conversation. Neither did Mord. But of course, they actually read the entire conversation.

Try going back to the beginning of the conversation next time.  I see a remedial reading course in your future.

VulcansFury

Scatter, seriously, your foaming at the mouth is really getting out of hand. How about THIS for your Chase bank analogy:its not about whether the bank existed or not, the main point is that you had to PROVE you could pay for your house. Star Wars was the down payment on Alien to get the bank to loan them the money.

Also, I notice how you keep ignoring how I mention what SW did for places like Stan Winston studios. So again to use your Chase bank analogy, in order to build the bank, you need electricians. Do you hire lay people off the street and hope they have the right tools and know-how, risking inflating the budget with every mistake they make, or hire people from a trained shop?

zombiehorror

Quote from: VulcansFury on February 26, 2014, 02:51:37 AM
As for later waves, first off they still kept reissuing and reselling the original 1978 figures in 1983, so its not like they were going to drastically change the style. But if youve ever seen the wax sculpts of the 1983 figures, you'd see there was more detail included than survived the casting process, and even then they were still more detailed than the  1978 stuff.

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 26, 2014, 02:24:36 AM
So did the employees give an excuse as to why their figures never improved after that initial rushed wave?  Or is it as Mord stated, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

By that I mean actor likeness, they never did get Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher right on any of the figures and only 3 of the 6 Luke's look anything like Mark Hamill  Though they really did get Billy Dee on both the Lando figures.

As far as articulation, it's great to have more than 5 points for posing figures or for dressing them but generally when kids play with a figure it doesn't really matter how much you could pose it; if a kid is making his figure walk/run they aren't really going to articulate each movement......unless they are doing a stop motion film.

VulcansFury

Quote from: Scatter on February 26, 2014, 02:57:57 AM
Wrong. Again. The conversation BEGAN with my claim that the Kenner 3 3/4 inch figures were the ruination of decent action figures like the 12" G.I. Joe. I then posted photos of the 12" Joes with the 3 3/4 inch SW figures as an illustration of the comparison we were discussing (which is the relative merit of TWELVE inch figures over THREE INCH figures).

Normally, the posting of pics of 12" figures against 3" figures as illustration would have clarified any misunderstanding you may have gleaned from being too lazy to follow the thread back to the original posting. ZH certainly had no difficulty following the conversation. Neither did Mord. But of course, they actually read the entire conversation.

Try going back to the beginning of the conversation next time.  I see a remedial reading course in your future.

You interpret things the way you choose to despite the facts of the case. I know you feel the need to cover your ignorance with rudeness and condescension, but you really need to step back and take a deep breath. What you call "conversation" reads more like ranting and smearing feces on the wall "durr, i like the cantina scene in Alien hyuk hyuk".

Scatter

Quote from: VulcansFury on February 26, 2014, 03:00:55 AM
Scatter, seriously, your foaming at the mouth is really getting out of hand. How about THIS for your Chase bank analogy:its not about whether the bank existed or not, the main point is that you had to PROVE you could pay for your house. Star Wars was the down payment on Alien to get the bank to loan them the money.

Also, I notice how you keep ignoring how I mention what SW did for places like Stan Winston studios. So again to use your Chase bank analogy, in order to build the bank, you need electricians. Do you hire lay people off the street and hope they have the right tools and know-how, risking inflating the budget with every mistake they make, or hire people from a trained shop?

Again, Star Wars may have been the impetus at hand, but you seem to be saying that "Alien" COULD never have been made otherwise. How many movies STILL get greenlit by studios every year? Can ANY of them PROVE they will be profitable? Could Scott GUARANTEE that just because Star Wars was profitable, "Aliens" must therefore be profitable?

No. It's a calculated risk by the studio every time a movie gets made. To suggest that no one else would EVER have funded "Aliens" had there been no SW is utter lunacy, and a leap of logic and history that'[s too absurd to contemplate.

Hell, by your "logic" no one in Hollywood should have funded SW..........after all, there was no immediate prior hit to justify the funding.

And the discussion of in-house or out-house or independent SE companies has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Unless you're suggesting that in-studio SE departments could not have handled the rather amateurish effects in SW, or that independent SE companies could NEVER have happened without SW. Which,of course, is as patently idiotic as your claim that unless SW had been made "Aliens" would nave have come to the screen.

Now, I'm beginning to bore of playing the Captain Obvious role. Don't you have a flowing cape and a fully erect light saber to play with?

VulcansFury

Quote from: zombiehorror on February 26, 2014, 03:05:10 AM

By that I mean actor likeness, they never did get Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher right on any of the figures and only 3 of the 6 Luke's look anything like Mark Hamill  Though they really did get Billy Dee on both the Lando figures.

As far as articulation, it's great to have more than 5 points for posing figures or for dressing them but generally when kids play with a figure it doesn't really matter how much you could pose it; if a kid is making his figure walk/run they aren't really going to articulate each movement......unless they are doing a stop motion film.

What are you talking about? They nailed Mark Hamill's likeness perfectly to coincide with his car accident! Seriously, Hamill and Ford are very difficult likenesses to get right. Even the modern Indiana Jones 12inch stuff looks a bit off. And Hasbro's modern 3 3/4 inch line has an even higher failure rate on likeness for the main three than the 50% vintage Luke, its more like one in four that are passable. It takes time and talent to get them right, and I guess Kenner was more in a rush to get the toys to market than taking time for proper likenesses. It actually didnt bother me as a kid, they got my money regardless.

Scatter

Quote from: VulcansFury on February 26, 2014, 03:08:00 AM
You interpret things the way you choose to despite the facts of the case. I know you feel the need to cover your ignorance with rudeness and condescension, but you really need to step back and take a deep breath. What you call "conversation" reads more like ranting and smearing feces on the wall "durr, i like the cantina scene in Alien hyuk hyuk".

INTERPRET?? Hey genius, I'm the one who initiated the conversation. I'm pretty sure I know what the conversation is about. Next time I'll include more pictures for you (though that obviously didn't help you much this time around).

Now, I'm done. Anyone with a third grade education can read the postings and see whether or not the guy who began the conversation knows what it's about better than the guy who couldn't even manage to find the original posting. I'm satisfied with that.

Toy Ranch

Hey, whoa, stop!!!

You guys are getting all worked up over debating toys over the internet with people you don't personally even know.  Slap yourselves in the face, walk outside, take a deep breath....