Author Topic: Topps Ugly Buttons  (Read 3948 times)

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
Topps Ugly Buttons
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »

I haven't heard these mentioned on UMA, so I thought to start a thread. In 1967 Topps came out with a set of 24 Ugly Buttons. Half of the set was done by Norman Saunders of Mars Attacks fame, and the other half were designed by Wally Wood and painted by an unknown artist. I have 14 of the set of 24 pictured above. I've been on the hunt for the other 10 but they don't show up often, and when they do the ones I've seen are very expensive. Like with most things I collect I'm just "pecking away" as Hepcat says. These cool pinbacks just scream "'60s monster". I won this whole group surprisingly cheaply in an eBay auction before I even knew what they were. I just know what I like. They weren't titled correctly in the auction, so the seller didn't know what they were either. After getting them I did some research and found out the above info.

Anyone else have any of these, or know any more info on them?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:47:24 PM by Mike Scott »
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
Re: Topps Ugly Buttons
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
Closer pics. The pic quality sucks I know. Someday I'll get the hang of it.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
Love those monster niks!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
I like the Ugly Buttons better. They're way cool!

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Love those monster niks!
Me too, man. I was nikless up until a few days ago. Actually, I still am, I think those are Monster Men from what I could find out on here. Still, I like 'em. And I'd rather have 'em nekkid than dressed up all flouncy and fruity with the feathers and nightgown-looking panchos and crap. :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Yep, I used to have the Frankenstein Nik and always wondered about the fruity garb. I guess they figured it would appeal to kids more. Not this monsterkid. Btw, where did you get them?

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
Yep, I used to have the Frankenstein Nik and always wondered about the fruity garb. I guess they figured it would appeal to kids more. Not this monsterkid. Btw, where did you get them?
I got them in a evilBay auction. Paid too damn much, too. People think these things are worth their weight in gold nowadays. Oh well, I finally got one example of each. That may be all my Nikkin' unless I find some cheap (fat chance).
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
You're right, HH, I have never seen monster toys go for as much as they're going for now. A year and a half ago, I got my holy grail (Marx Frankenstein in box) for $1,400 on Evilbay. It was the best example I had ever seen for sale, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Just a few weeks ago, one sold (on E-bay, again) for $3,000!!! That's insane!

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
You're right, HH, I have never seen monster toys go for as much as they're going for now. A year and a half ago, I got my holy grail (Marx Frankenstein in box) for $1,400 on Evilbay. It was the best example I had ever seen for sale, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Just a few weeks ago, one sold (on E-bay, again) for $3,000!!! That's insane!
Congratulations, Mordster! You did the right thing pulling the trigger like that. The Marx Frankenstein is a worthy centerpiece in any monster collection. Sadly, I'm still on the hunt for one. And, like you say, the way these key monster toys keep rising in price I'd better get one soon or maybe not at all.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
A scan of my Topps Ugly Buttons:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
Great stuff! I would have gone for those big time had they been available when I was a kid.

8)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
I want the Ugly Buttons.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
Thanks, peeps. I would like to get the other ten but the ones that have shown up on evilBay recently have ranged from simply expensive to downright ridiculous. I got these 14 in one auction pretty cheap, so I'll wait for another good deal I guess. Naively optimistic aren't I? ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
Thanks, peeps. I would like to get the other ten but the ones that have shown up on evilBay recently have ranged from simply expensive to downright ridiculous. I got these 14 in one auction pretty cheap, so I'll wait for another good deal I guess. Naively optimistic aren't I? ;D

No, I`m a firm believer that you`ll get them at a good deal. When is the question but I have faith in you ..  ;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
No, I`m a firm believer that you`ll get them at a good deal. When is the question but I have faith in you ..  ;D
TY Flower. I am stubborn when "on the hunt". ;D
ALWAYS MONSTERING...