Topps Ugly Buttons

Started by horrorhunter, August 30, 2013, 07:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on August 30, 2013, 07:15:53 PMIn 1967 Topps came out with a set of 24 Ugly Buttons.... I have 14 of the set of 24 pictured above. I've been on the hunt for the other 10 but they don't show up often....

Anyone else have any of these, or know any more info on them?

Are you going to add a wrapper or a display box?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on June 17, 2014, 01:53:47 PM
Are you going to add a wrapper or a display box?

???
Probably not. Too scarce and expensive. I'm still hunting a decent deal on any of the 10 buttons I still need. All I ever see on eBay are BINs for $20-$50 each. They may be worth that in the current collecting environment but at those prices they fall pretty low on my collecting priority list.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Re-hosted my Ugly Buttons scan.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mike Scott

I edited your fist post to re-include it.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

horrorhunter

Net pic of the wrappers for Topps Ugly Buttons and Leaf Fink Buttons:

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 05, 2017, 10:40:16 PM
Re-hosted my Ugly Buttons scan.

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 05, 2017, 11:07:35 PM
Net pic of the wrappers for Topps Ugly Buttons and Leaf Fink Buttons:

Oh man! So much cool stuff, so little time and money. These buttons were after my time as a kid so I haven't actively pursued them. If, however, I came across a whole set at a good price, I'd be very tempted to snap it up.

:)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on April 06, 2017, 01:23:37 PM
Oh man! So much cool stuff, so little time and money. These buttons were after my time as a kid so I haven't actively pursued them. If, however, I came across a whole set at a good price, I'd be very tempted to snap it up.

I lucked into that lot of 14 for $70. It was an auction and the seller didn't have them listed properly as "Ugly Buttons". I didn't know what they were either at that point but I knew I really liked them and the work of Norm Saunders/Wally Wood kinda lit up for me. I got lucky and outbid the other guy. I wish I could find the ones I need that cheaply ($5 each) but lightning hasn't struck again regarding this so I still only have the 14.

They can be bought off evilBay for around $20 each in varying conditions. At that price they just fell low on my buying priority list. I think they're worth that, especially in high grade, but my monster money only stretches so far... I still plan to finish the set at some point. I'm just exercising patience. Even if I only ever have those 14 I'm glad of it and will continue to enjoy seeing them on my monster shelf.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

These buttons may have hit store shelves in time for Halloween 1966. Here's a picture of the entire set:

Quote from: horrorhunter on April 06, 2017, 09:49:52 PM...the work of Norm Saunders/Wally Wood kinda lit up for me.

Norm Saunders rendered the art for eleven or twelve of the above buttons including all of my favourites:

What Ever Happened to Baby Sister?
Watch the Birdie
Be Kind to Animals
Come on Down
Here's Mud in Your Eye
You're Driving Me Bats
Respect Your Elders

Wally Wood evidently sketched the designs for the other ones but somebody else did the finished artwork.

Here's a picture of the display box:

And the wrapper (actually bag):