"The Uninvited" Criterion DVD in Oct.

Started by Mike Scott, July 21, 2013, 11:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

Bought the region 2 DVD not long ago, so I guess I'll be waiting for a good sale.

http://www.criterion.com/films/27964-the-uninvited
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

horrorhunter

I'll be picking this one up at some point. Always best to wait until it's been out for a little while and shop around. The best example of that is the Universal Monsters Essential Collection on blueray.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

zombiehorror

The Blu-ray price is ridiculous as usual but the dvd is reasonable and on a good sale should be around 10 bucks!

D.D. Wookie

Hell yeah.  Finally a legit release as opposed to a burned dvdr.
When the dead walk, senores, we must stop the killing, or we'll lose the war...

Patrick M

I have a good digital copy of the film...  Awesome movie!

Monsters For Sale

For people not in any hurry, this is one of those movies that soon will be available used for cheap.

There will be many younger buyers who have heard about it and buy it expecting blood-dripping slimers.  They will watch it once and then put it up on eBay.

I'll pre-order my copy, but don't look for it on eBay.  I know what I'm getting - a first rate chiller.

Funny, I have seen this movie quite a few times, but it still has the ability to give me a little chill each time. 

I hope this official Blu-ray/DVD release means it will show up on TV more often and gain a whole new audience.
ADAM

dlhenderson

I was giddy with glee when Criterion announced The Uninvited and I Married a Witch for blu-ray.
Back in the late 60s a local channel was going to show The Uninvited around noon on a weekday. I had read about the film in Castle of Frankenstein and was obsessed with seeing it. I feigned an illness to stay home from school. When I look back I can see that my Mom totally knew what was up, but she was also totally cool with it. She was a gem. Can't wait for the BD!

Monsters For Sale

Amazon notified me that my Criterion DVD of "The Uninvited shipped today.  I can't wait until it arrived.  It will be a great watch this Halloween.

Here is part of an Amazon review from someone who already has seen the new DVD:

"...The 2K restoration looks quite nice with blacks solid throughout and the mono soundtrack is presented without a hint of imperfection. The original 1.37:1 aspect radio has been preserved for the film.

Criterion has put together a classy package for "The Uninvited" although it isn't quite as packed as some of their other releases. The special features include a "visual essay" which acts as a mini-commentary track with Michael Almereyda. Unfortunately, we don't get a commentary track for the film.

We also get an excellent booklet with an essay by Farren Smith also included in the booklet is a 1997 interview with director Allen from the book Science Fiction and Fantasy Film Flashbacks by Tom Weaver published in 2004. It's a pity that the audio of the interview doesn't survive as it could have been used to reconstruct a commentary track for the film.

The special features are nicely rounded out by two radio adaptations from both 1944 and 1949 featuring star Ray Milland in both versions. The radio plays are nice extras as these are usually forgotten about and often not heard again. For those that don't know radio adaptations of popular films were very common in the time before television to promote films..."

I am always delighted when an old film is presented in its proper 1.37:1 aspect ratio.  If the studios would commit themselves to giving us at least that concession on ALL of their DVD's, even those that contain no special features whatever.

My major gripe about aspect ratios today is the fact that movies filmed in 2.40:1 are often released on DVD in 1.85:1 and labeled "Widescreen" simply because they are not 1.33:1.

Grrr.
ADAM

Memphremagog

It was on sale at Barnes & Noble last week..both dvd and blu-ray formats. Got my copy for $13.00. It looks great and the making of documentary is wonderful!
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."