Name Your Five Favorite Monster Toys

Started by horrorhunter, July 17, 2013, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horrorhunter

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 19, 2013, 03:17:01 AM
After 19 people voted, the top 5 Monster Toys are:

1: Aurora Monster Kits

2: Don Post Masks

3: 3 Way Tie-  Marx Frankenstein Robot, Marx Universal Monster Figures, Sideshow Monster Figures

That says a lot for the Sideshow figures, to place so highly with those vintage gems. Hopefully we will get many more votes to get an even better idea of UMA opinion.
After 24 votes we have the same top 5 in the same order. I have also added Diamond Select Monster Figures to the poll since they are the topic of much UMA conversation currently. That's 48 choices. What's the poll limit?
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Wolfman

A few others you may want to add:

Billiken kits
Basil Gogos prints
Lemax Spooky Town

JP

horrorhunter

Quote from: Wolfman on July 19, 2013, 08:54:52 PM
A few others you may want to add:

Billiken kits
Basil Gogos prints
Lemax Spooky Town

JP
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm staying away from prints, books, magazines, posters, lobby cards, etc. because those collectibles are not remotely toy-like. Space limitations force us to stick with toys, or items similar to toys, like games, candy buckets, masks, et.

I've stayed away from most newer items except something really noteworthy like the groundbreaking Sideshow figures, and the Diamond Select figures because so many UMA members like them. How about it UMA? Does anyone second adding Spooky Town buildings and accessories, or Billiken kits? How about a broad category for Garage Kits?

I will probably reset all votes to ZERO on Monday, so we need to get the poll finalized by then.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

I like a healthy mix of old and new myself. Vintage gets the sentimental vote, but the stuff that's come out since Billiken raised the bar (Sideshow, Neca, DST) is so well done, it's impossible to ignore.

Toy Ranch

Another way to look at it is what was most important to you as a kid?  I didn't have a Marx robot Frankenstein...

Monster Old Maid cards
Marx plastic figures
Soakies
Palmer figures
Zoo piks spoons
Pez
Mod monster Frankenstein
Frankenstein trash can
Wallet

All of those were toys to me. The cards and soakies played together in the back yard or under the bed covers when I was supposed to take a nap. Other stuff too. I had a purple people eater plush toy and sometimes the monsters did battle with army men or space figures or GI Joe. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Unknown Primate

I actually owned 13 things on the list, which are now long gone (except the Sideshows, etc).  Always wanted a Great Garloo so bad!  Santa Claus brought me the little wind-up Son of Garloo, instead.  I was a little let down at first, until I found it scared the p*** outta my little brother!  I then loved it as if it were my own son.
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

marsattacks666

Quote from: Unknown Primate on July 20, 2013, 02:54:25 PM
I actually owned 13 things on the list, which are now long gone (except the Sideshows, etc).  Always wanted a Great Garloo so bad!  Santa Claus brought me the little wind-up Son of Garloo, instead.  I was a little let down at first, until I found it scared the p*** outta my little brother!  I then loved it as if it were my own son.
;D

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

Quote from: Unknown Primate on July 20, 2013, 02:54:25 PM
Always wanted a Great Garloo so bad!  Santa Claus brought me the little wind-up Son of Garloo, instead.  I was a little let down at first, until I found it scared the p*** outta my little brother!  I then loved it as if it were my own son.

Yes! That's what it's all about right there!

Great Garloo commercial ( Marx 1961 )

;)

My own fascination with monster toys actually began when a Great Garloo captured my attention.at the Kresge's store in downtown London  I immediately pointed it out to my mother but the price tag was a powerful deterrent and I never got one. And I still don't. The price tag of these remains a powerful deterrent.

:-\

horrorhunter

More choices added. Thanks, guys. :) Some of these I should have thought of because they rest on my shelves. :laugh:

The poll is up to 55 choices now! I hope it doesn't create it's own cyber-gravitational field and swallow UMA!

I plan to reset the votes to ZERO Monday afternoon. Then we can vote for what we really want. If anyone has more suggestions please post before then. Thanks
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Street Worm

Went with ones I had-

1. Great Garloo
2. Aurora Monster Models
3. Pop-Top Horrors
4. Marx Monster Figures
5. Palmer Monsters

HR- Remco Munsters & Addams Family Dashboard Dolls

Unknown Primate

" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

horrorhunter

Quote from: Street Worm on July 20, 2013, 09:19:00 PM
Went with ones I had-

1. Great Garloo
2. Aurora Monster Models
3. Pop-Top Horrors
4. Marx Monster Figures
5. Palmer Monsters

HR- Remco Munsters & Addams Family Dashboard Dolls
Great choices! I had all of those except the Garloo. I was born in '59, so I was a little too young for the Garloo (I don't think my parents could have afforded one anyway). One that really burned it's brand on my monster kid memory was the Haunted Hulk. I'm pretty sure I got mine when I was five, in 1964. I managed to hang on to the original hull all these years. Damn great toy.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Hepcat

Quote from: horrorhunter on July 20, 2013, 06:29:09 PM
More choices added. Thanks, guys. :) Some of these I should have thought of because they rest on my shelves. :laugh:

You better get your eyes checked. You still managed to overlook the ABG Pencil Sharpeners:

They have a pretty good fan base on this board.

;)

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on July 21, 2013, 02:47:01 AM
You better get your eyes checked. You still managed to overlook the ABG Pencil Sharpeners:

They have a pretty good fan base on this board.

;)
Good point. Got those, too. :laugh:
ALWAYS MONSTERING...