The Empire Strikes back trivia & Star Wars trivia thread

Started by The Batman, July 13, 2013, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Batman

George Lucas was inspired by the ship building cranes in the Alameda, CA bay area.
Several of them still stand tall in Alameda. They inspired him to create the AT-AT snowalkers.

A friend at work who lives in Alameda told me about it, which made me remember a lot of trivia when I grew up in San Rafael, CA.
The Death Star trench explosion scenes were filmed in the parking lot close to where I enjoyed my first Shakey's Pizza right-off Highway 101. This is back in the golden years of using detailed models and actual explosions instead of the sterile CGI of today (although some CGI is awesome). My best friend knew Chris Anderson, who has his name in the long movie ending credits. Chris also worked on the asteroid worm scene for the Empire Strikes back.

Here's Chris holding his worm puppet:

George Lucas had his Skywalker Ranch built on Lucas Valley road, which was named Lucas Valey way before he ever lived there. I crossed that road every day to get to my high school. To this day it is bragging rights to go to his ranch & return with photos and stories. You would not believe how many limos and sports cars would go up and down that road once Star Wars hit the BIG CASH. It was exciting to live a short drive away from George Lucas!

Perhaps some of you 'collect everything Star Wars', but I thought you'd enjoy these factoids anyway.

:cheers

long live kong

The 'asteroid worm' is one of my favourite Star Wars scenes! Regarding CGI, I watched Episode 3 the other day and was surprised by some of the shoddy looking effects, especially the CGI 'stunt doubles'. You can't beat physical effects IMO.
Monster lovers never grow old....

The Batman

Quote from: long live kong on July 13, 2013, 07:39:56 PM
The 'asteroid worm' is one of my favourite Star Wars scenes! Regarding CGI, I watched Episode 3 the other day and was surprised by some of the shoddy looking effects, especially the CGI 'stunt doubles'. You can't beat physical effects IMO.

If my friend ever gets back into contact with Chris Anderson, I can have him ask Chris anything you want about that exact scene, or anything else he experienced while working on the first 2 Star Wars movies ever made.

Indeed - on the big screen super detailed actual models are awesome. Consider the Imperial Star Destroyer in that opening scene. I still cannot get enough of it.  8)

long live kong

Yes! The opening sequence to A New Hope is still jaw-dropping! I love seeing photos of the original models and props, like the Death Star 'trenches'.

Factoid - in The Empire Strikes Back, in the scene when Luke Skywalker (or 'Starkiller', as Mr. Lucas originally named him) is recovering from the Wampa attack, the injury to Mark Hamill's face is real, after the actor was involved in a serious car crash.
Monster lovers never grow old....

The Batman

Quote from: long live kong on July 13, 2013, 08:44:26 PM
Yes! The opening sequence to A New Hope is still jaw-dropping! I love seeing photos of the original models and props, like the Death Star 'trenches'.

Factoid - in The Empire Strikes Back, in the scene when Luke Skywalker (or 'Starkiller', as Mr. Lucas originally named him) is recovering from the Wampa attack, the injury to Mark Hamill's face is real, after the actor was involved in a serious car crash.

I remember that! Cool factoid, indeed.

Do you remember the tiny R2D2 mounted on the Close Encounters mothership, as a tribute to Star Wars? Easy to find pics of it online, of course.

The Batman

'Amazing how much detail went into the 8 foot long Star Destroyer model, considering how short it appeared on film.

It was the product of bashing many battleship models together, which must of been
a ton of fun to be PAID to do!  8)

'Nice side view of the 8 foot beast!

marsattacks666

That is one gigantic ship. Who sunk my BATTLESHIP?!?!?!
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."