With all due respect to Diamond Select, they miss the mark on their figures

Started by ucs1923, June 28, 2013, 10:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Mike Scott on June 29, 2013, 05:32:18 PM
So, what's the deal with the color WM? It seems to be the only rare one.

No--the color Bride is as well. They were the TRY only figures in the wave. The Invisible Man will follow suit, as will the Mole People. Folks just havent caught up yet.

I hated these when they first popped out---but bought a couple anyway. I love them now. :-* Especialy the Megoesque ones. But they cannot hold a candle to AHI monsters with regards to likenesses (except for Wolfman--who looks like nobody and always gets the poopy end of the likeness stick ;D). The AHIs were released when I was in first grade I think, lol.

Mord

I have complete sets of Sideshow, DST, Jakks, Toy Island, Neca (bobbles), Funkos etc. and find something to love about most of them. They seem to all get along in my monster cave.

Universal_Adam

I personally think the DST figures are fantastic, but that's just me! I feel pretty lucky to have gotten Color Wolfman, Bride of Frankenstein and Invisible Man!
Check out my Universal Monster Facebook Fan Page!
http://www.facebook.com/Ultimateuniversalstudiosmonstersfanpage

Mike Scott

Quote from: Anton Phibes on June 29, 2013, 05:50:37 PM
No--the color Bride is as well.

Guess I just hadn't heard anybody complaining that they couldn't get one.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Anton Phibes

Dr. Blasko

Quote from: aura of foreboding on June 29, 2013, 03:37:29 AM
Zombie Nuetral

This is an annual occurrence at the UMA...  The hunt for the DST color Wolf Man.   We've gotten quite used to it.   ;)

It's funny you say that. A year ago I was looking for one lol finally got it for a good price though!

Idk, DST got me into monster collecting. I think they make great looking stuff. It's hard to complain about Dracula though. I mean yeah, doesn't look like Lugosi, but it legally can't.
We Belong Dead...

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Dr. Blasko on July 01, 2013, 10:55:14 AM
It's funny you say that. A year ago I was looking for one lol finally got it for a good price though!

That's why I said it!   Zombie LOL

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Dr. Blasko on July 01, 2013, 10:55:14 AM
It's hard to complain about Dracula though. I mean yeah, doesn't look like Lugosi, but it legally can't.
It legally could, though. It's just that Universal doesn't want to negotiate fairly with the families/estates of the actors involved. It's going to be terrible if they don't settle with the Chaneys and we start getting "generic Wolf Man" in addition to "generic Dracula"!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Dr. Blasko

Quote from: Count_Zirock on July 01, 2013, 09:18:18 PM
It legally could, though. It's just that Universal doesn't want to negotiate fairly with the families/estates of the actors involved. It's going to be terrible if they don't settle with the Chaneys and we start getting "generic Wolf Man" in addition to "generic Dracula"!

I'm just talking about DST. They cannot legally do so without approval and that's not happening anytime soon I think.

Unless DST can work out a separate deal with his estate, but that seems highly unlikely.
We Belong Dead...

Count_Zirock

Quote from: Dr. Blasko on July 01, 2013, 09:58:21 PM
I'm just talking about DST. They cannot legally do so without approval and that's not happening anytime soon I think.
I know, but it irks me that it could happen, like it did at Sideshow, but for Universal's penny-pinching. And the idea that we might not get a Chaney Jr-likeness Wolf Man or Kharis ever again is equally bothersome. I mean, DST has the opportunity to do a complete "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" figure set, but they can't do a Lugosi Dracula (older generic Dracula, anyone?) and now they might not be able to do a Chaney Wolf Man to complete it.

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Mord

All we can do is to stop buying the generic crap. As soon as DST is done with the Universal line, I'm adopting a strict "no generics" policy. I'm sick of sticking crap in my collection that gives me no pleasure what-so-ever. As for the DST generic Draculas, do Carradine or Chaney, but no cliché, fanged, widow's peaked vampire, please.

aura of foreboding

Quote from: Mord on July 02, 2013, 05:10:31 PM
All we can do is to stop buying the generic crap. As soon as DST is done with the Universal line, I'm adopting a strict "no generics" policy. I'm sick of sticking crap in my collection that gives me no pleasure what-so-ever. As for the DST generic Draculas, do Carradine or Chaney, but no cliché, fanged, widow's peaked vampire, please.

I'd love to have a Carradine Dracula in my collection, as a variant or as a special release, as a seventh wave figure, but I would not support him being Universal's main Dracula to be used as the "official" character, and I think Universal licensing (as misguided as it can be sometimes) knows most people feel that way.  When the Universal Horror book first came out, and I saw Carradine was on the cover and not Lugosi, I said, "I'm not buying that."  And I didn't.  I like Carradine, but not as Dracula, certainly not as the "official" Dracula.  I'd love a Chaney Son of Dracula figure, but I'd much rather have Dracula's Daughter.  To me, generic widow's peaked Dracula is far more "official" than any mustached Universal vampire.  If it can't be Lugosi, it should at least replicate his "aura" in some way...  Lugosi won the heart of the public, and the public is not going to embrace someone else in the Universal role -- especially in the world of toys.  (Heck, they didn't even embrace Carradine in the monster mash-up movies!)  Now, if Diamond wanted to do a Christopher Lee Dracula, that is, in Lugosi's words, "another matter."  I'd take him over generic Lugosi wannabe any day of the week.   ;)

Kal-El

There is only 1 and it's Sideshow. No one else has come close as of yet. That's my answer to your question.

-l-AYATOLLAH-l-

I'm not really a Sideshow fan. Most of the 8 inch figures I had broke and the 12" figs were flimsy and impossible to pose. The sculpts were great, but prefer a more "toyish" look to my monsters, my favorites being the Kenner/Hasbro 90's 12" dolls and the Remco line. My favorite recent figures were the Jakks and the Toy Island figs. I like toys that can be played with, and I don't think Sideshow was going for that market. They were "adult collectibles".

Mord

Aura of Foreboding, How can a generic, fanged, widow's peaked Dracula ever be a "more official"representation than actor's who actually played the character? Especially when none of the Universal Draculas had fangs OR widow's peaks (except maybe Carradine, a little bit). That doesn't make any sense. They definitely could do a Lugosi sanctioned Dracula, but that would have to wait until they're done with Universal. Until then, Kal-El is right, the only one that's worth a damn is Sideshow's. That's why I'm not climbing onboard with Mezco. Everything is stylized beyond good taste (even the Creature!).