Author Topic: THE SINISTER DR. PHIBES BY JACK KIRBY?!?  (Read 2399 times)

GREGGORY67

• Private First Class
    • GreGGory's Shock Theater
THE SINISTER DR. PHIBES BY JACK KIRBY?!?
« on: December 10, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
My wife let me go a little crazy for this my Christmas gift.  The Abominable Dr. Phibes is my favorite film so when this illustration showed up on ebay I knew I had to have it. This original Jack Kirby illustration was sold by his grandson Jeremy who didn't know very much about it and listed it as "Jack Kirby amazing concept art late 60's early 70's"
The names Phibes and Vincent Price never showed up in the listing. I'm guessing this piece was probably done in the mid to late 70"s. I've read Jack was a big movie fan so he might have thought Phibes might have made and interesting character. The plot description given almost sounds like the idea Deke Heyward of AIP had to bring Phibes to TV as a series for NBC.

typhooforme

• Sergeant Major
  • "The Monster was the best friend I ever had."
Re: THE SINISTER DR. PHIBES BY JACK KIRBY?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »
Beautiful piece of Kirby art!  Hooray for the wife who let you go crazy on that!  Phibes is one of my favorite Price characters, too.  Ditto for my Cuz Sara (vpdogjoe here at UMA), who just got a beautiful original charcoal of Phibe from Frank Dietz.  Sure wish the Jack Kirby had turned out to be a continuing story--
Robert in Ohio

"I donít care what they do, so long as they donít do it in the streets and frighten the horses."   Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Tom Smith Monsternut

• Sergeant
  • Good , bad , I'm the one with the gun!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »
Very cool ! KIrby is still the KING  !! I met him years ago at a NYC comic con  ,,he was a really nice guy.
Best..
Tom
Tom Smith " Dr. Deadly"

• Corporal
  • Misunderstood Monster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:34:26 AM »
I've seen similiar art done by Kirby that were quick proposals for animated series, he even suggested Planet of the Apes to (i think) Ruby Spears in the early eighties. What a wonderful piece of monster and comic history.

Phantasm

• Corporal
  • "Booooooy!"
    • flickr model pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
Jack Kirby was a huge influence on me.  One of my all time favorite comics is the two issues of Jimmy Olsen that had the monsters that looked a whole lot like our favorite Universal Monsters!

Chuck
Chuck Jeffers

"You told me that nothings free except my own insanity."
                                                  Alice Cooper