Even if Man Of Steel sucks, we'll get another

Started by Gillfan, June 10, 2013, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gillfan

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27365/-man-of-steel-is-already-near-profit

A small sample from the article:

With the help of around one hundred global promotional partners, the film has chalked up a collective $170 million in product placement and promotional support deals with the likes of Gillette, Mattel, Walmart, Fisher Price, Lego, Converse, Chrysler, Hershey, Nokia, Sears, Carl's Jr., Roebuck & Co., Hardee, Kellogg, Kinetics, Warby Parker and even the U.S. Army National Guard.

Toy Ranch

general gruesome

Scatter

We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Mord

Am I the only one here who's sick of comic heroe movies? I now even stay away from the good ones.

general gruesome

I honestly don't care much for comic-book movies. They are never done the way I like. 'The Crow' was and probably is still the best film adaptation of a comic-book series.

Scatter

Quote from: Mord on June 16, 2013, 10:20:28 PM
Am I the only one here who's sick of comic heroe movies? I now even stay away from the good ones.

Funny, I hardly ever catch them at the theater anymore. I watched Ironman because it was something to do with Jordan, but I'd never have gone for myself. But I am a Superman and Batman fan particularly, so I hate to see those franchises done badly.....
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

McDougals House of Horror

Quote from: Mord on June 16, 2013, 10:20:28 PM
You're not the only one -- I was never into super-heroes. But I must say I am greatly looking forward to the long-awaited "Sin City 2, A Dame To Kill for" because Frank Miller will again be being involved with Robert Rodriguez, thus assuring that through the use of green-screen the film will perfectly match the unique look of the graphic novels. Sad that we lost Brittany Murphy though -- she was an awesome Shellie, and it appears there won't be a Shellie in Part 2 (and Josh Brolin is replacing Clive Owen as Dwight).

"Do you know what I've got in those crates?"

Type3Toys

The problem with superhero movies is that Hollywood changes the look of the characters and the stories too much.

Toy Ranch

Quote from: Type3Toys on June 17, 2013, 09:08:11 AM
The problem with superhero movies is that Hollywood changes the look of the characters and the stories too much.

Well, the comics do that too.  And sometimes they need to do that for the movies. Taking a comic drawing into live action doesn't always translate well.  For instance...  Thor. 

I've seen some cosplay examples...

This really works better in real life.

But there is no excuse for this.

Nipples and codpieces?

The new Man of Steel movie doesn't totally suck as a movie, only partially.  It totally sucks as a SUPERMAN movie.  That's not Superman.  The actor looks like the 70's Superman, but is a dull thud with no charisma and the suit is lame.

Krypton is cool, but it's not any Krypton I've ever imagined.  I'm not a puritan and don't object to sexual imagery or content in most things, but we don't need erotic imagery in a Superman movie. (There is no nudity or implied sex even, but it's philled with phallic shapes, and vaginal canals, etc)   Some good performances, part of it is pretty cool, part of it I thought was pretty sucky. 

Opera Ghost

I saw it in 2D on Saturday, and was very satisfied with writing and most of the performances. I don't like it so dark, but mostly felt good about the film. I too sensed the phallic nature of Krypton, but was more attuned to the Man of Steel metaphor by the technology of Krypton, being very organic liquid metal. Amy Adams did nto really work for me as Lois Lane, and someone on FB mentioned a Smallville feel, which I would agree with a tad pertaining to her portrayal.

I really do not like the over the top camera movements seen in later Bourne and Transformer movies.

Overall it was better and less dark than I anticipated, primarily due to the extensive attention to character development, and the inner struggle which Kal-El/Clark was forced to deal with and learned to control.

best OG
"In each of us, two natures are at war--the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer..."

RICKH

I just got back from seeing the movie this afternoon and I thought it was great.  I love Superman and I thought this movie captured him and his world better than any other.  I hated Superman Returns, and it might be heresy, but I didn't care for the campy aspects of the '79 movie.  I'm tired of Lex Luthor being a petty crook who is obsessed with real estate!
While Henry Cavill doesn't have the charm of Christopher Reeve, this movie does not delve as deeply into the Clark, Superman, Lois relationship so it isn't really necessary to the story.  I think Cavill gives a great performance as Kal-El. 
I'm looking forward to the sequel.
You can't kill the boogeyman.  Halloween (1978)

Mord

I whole heartedly agree with McDougal's HoH about "Sin City". That one was done absolutely perfectly.

kklloo

I can forgive the flaws and thought the movie was great. My son loved it.

Sal