Monarch Models - Gorgo

Started by Cerebus, May 16, 2013, 01:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

Quote from: Mord on April 25, 2014, 04:19:10 AMI think the 2nd one looks more Aurora-like.

Does anybody know who the artists were for the respective boxes?

???
Collecting! It's what I do!

Anton Phibes

McDee does. He'll pop back in shortly to be sure.

EDIT: Apparently McDee is experiencing difficulty getting on at the moment. Here is the information, and hopefully McDee will be back with us as soon as the mods get it figured out for him.

Artists:

Art by Doug Klauba  (With Spotlights in the background)...............................................  Art by by John Graziano (Without Spotlights in the background)

Hepcat

Hmmmmm. I wonder if Monarch could get James Bama to do some box art for old times sake.

???

Anton Phibes

That would be icing on an already delicious cake! :o :o

Wolfman

I wonder if one of these is considered a variant with a smaller edition size. I know McFarlane does that with their sports figures.

JP

Rockshasa

Just curious...does anyone know what prompted Monarch to release this model with two different box cover arts?
That's kinda rare on a plastic model release.

Anton Phibes

Quote from: Rockshasa on April 26, 2014, 09:04:13 PM
Just curious...does anyone know what prompted Monarch to release this model with two different box cover arts?
That's kinda rare on a plastic model release.

The kit had sat still for so long, maybe he wanted a little extra *oomph* come release time. Its certainly added to the excitement on the forums!

Rockshasa

Well, I guess that makes sense. I like the cover with the searchlights.

jimm

Dang, my local shop had Nosferatu but no Gorgo!

Hepcat

Quote from: Anton Phibes on April 26, 2014, 10:48:39 PMThe kit had sat still for so long, maybe he wanted a little extra *oomph* come release time. Its certainly added to the excitement on the forums!

You bet it has! So very cool!

8)

But my buddy Gorgo deserves yet another box by James Bama.

;)

ChrisW

Quote from: Hepcat on April 27, 2014, 03:44:45 PM
You bet it has! So very cool!

8)

But my buddy Gorgo deserves yet another box by James Bama.

;)

Couple of problems with that. Jmaes Bama's eyesight has failed quite a bit and consequently doesn't paint.

He's much better known for his western art, and much, much, much better compensated for it. He stopped doing commercial assignments many years ago.

And as a comparison, Moebius paid big bucks for Basil Gogos to do the Mummy cover - and yet it didn't really help sales.

empty13

prefer klaube spotlight version

aura of foreboding

Geez... I cannot decide which box I like better. 

Mord

I'd definitely go for the Aurora blue box.

jimm