Author Topic: FREE MONSTERS - Premiums & Give-A-Ways  (Read 68797 times)

Scatter

• Sergeant
Re: FREE MONSTERS - Premiums & Give-A-Ways
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
Monster posters folded up inside boxes of Post Super Sugar Crisps in the '70's. I have a set of these but I wish I kept the box. This photo is from the internet...

Awww man...........I had those on my wall for YEARS!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
Awww man...........I had those on my wall for YEARS!!

Interesting...

Most people took the posters out of the boxes and hung them.
ADAM

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
Headquartered in Chile, a fast food chain called Lomito'n is famous for their pork sandwiches:

As if that weren't enough to delight any monsterkid, they also gave us these very cool monster toys:

These very stylized 5" figures are glow-in-the-dark and were each issued in both opaque and slightly translucent soft white plastic.  They are quite rare.

Most of the examples of these toys were sold on eBay by a seller out of Argentina who said these were given out in that country in 1999.

Somewhere, perhaps even on the old yahoo message board, the name of the sculptor of this line has come up. If I remember correctly he did them for an American chain which then never releaed them, and he was surprised to find that they had been made in Chile. Anyone know/remember/find that?

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »
I also can't find photos of the European Burger King releases. They had one or two happy meal style boxes, masks for each character, the packaging insert sheets have art work of all four monsters, and a cardbord scene (with sunken Rita) is included with the Creature.

Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
I also can't find photos of the European Burger King releases. They had one or two happy meal style boxes, masks for each character, the packaging insert sheets have art work of all four monsters, and a cardbord scene (with sunken Rita) is included with the Creature.

I have these masks listed in my picture files as being from the UK:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:13:28 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
Somewhere, perhaps even on the old yahoo message board, the name of the sculptor of this line has come up. If I remember correctly he did them for an American chain which then never released them, and he was surprised to find that they had been made in Chile. Anyone know/remember/find that?

I hope someone can locate that conversation.

The restaurant chain started in Chile and expanded into Argentina.

As far as I aware, all of the known examples that were sold on eBay originated in Argentina.  When I questioned the seller, he told me that they had been premiums from a Lomito'n in Argentina.  He could have been making the whole thing up. 

These could have been prototypes or illegal copies.  That would explain why so few have been seen and the fact that they were produced using two different plastics.

I love a mystery.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:14 PM »
This unmarked 32 oz. Pepsi cup glows in the dark.  Does anybody know what fast food stores, theaters, or wherever used this?

By-the-way, this is just one cup seen from different sides.  Notice that Dracula is in the center and his outstretched arms are positioned in front of the monsters on either side of him.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:31:04 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »

For Halloween, sometimes Pepsi would supply monster-decorated bags to participating retail outlets.  You could use them to carry home your purchases and re-use them to go trick-or-treating.

Here is one from Wawa Food Markets in 1993:

Here is one from Wendy's in the 1990's - (Does anyone have the exact year?):

Here is one from Duracell that is not dated - (Anyone know when this was issued?)

The back on this one is not the same as the front:

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

I have these two 32 oz. cups listed as being from Wendy's in 1982.  Can anybody verify the date on these?  Anyone know of any other monsters that they featured?

(Anyone have a Bride of Frankenstein cup that they want to sell?)

I like these a lot.  They have a nice mix of graphics on each.  I have just the one view of each.  Can't see any mention of Pepsi on either.  I'd like to know more about these.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »

This little glass is something of a curiosity.

It was issued in 2010 in to commemorate the "Wolfman" re-make, but it features an image of the original "Wolf Man" from 1941.  It was evidently available only at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Austin, Texas.

Since it had such a limited market, I assume it was given away for a premier of the re-make and not sold by the Cinema or anyone else.

They do not show up on eBay very often.

If anyone has better information on this glass, Id love to hear it.

(Too bad they didn't do a full set of glasses with all the monsters.)
ADAM

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

Here's a favorite of mine.  I can't remeber what product this promoted, but the winner got to meat Elvira, and spend the night at the Bates Motel.  Two of my favorite horrors on one cup.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »

Here's a favorite of mine.  I can't remeber what product this promoted, but the winner got to meat Elvira, and spend the night at the Bates Motel.  Two of my favorite horrors on one cup.

It was from Pepsi-Weinersnitchel in 1989.  (Slice sodas are produced by their parent company, Pepsi.)

Here is the back of the glass with their logos:

Since the Bates house is shown, it must have been a tie-in with the Halloween activities at Universal that year.

Very pretty!  Does it glow in the dark?

ADAM

Scatter

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
Interesting...

Most people took the posters out of the boxes and hung them.

Missed it by THAT much!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

This may seem like an awful cheat, but... These little Gravedale High "monster" toys were given out by McDonald's in 1991. 

I ignore all but the Frankentyke character.  When you pull his arms down he sticks his tongue out about down to his belt buckle.  (Igor:  "He's going to be very popular.")

These were regional give-a-ways, not available to the whole country.  Frankentyke can be found in two slightly different paint schemes.

He's just Frankensteiny enough for me.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Shreddies is a breakfast cereal produced by the Nestle Company in the UK.  It looks a lot like Wheat Chex.

In the 1990's they gave away these monster "Spooky Spoons" featuring Dracula, Frankenstein and the Cyclops.  The spoons would change colors when exposed to warm and cold.

The front of the box:

The back of the box:

The spoons:

ADAM