Author Topic: FREE MONSTERS - Premiums & Give-A-Ways  (Read 64442 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Re: FREE MONSTERS - Premiums & Give-A-Ways
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »

...& the one from the (above) poster - 'scale' didn't seem to matter much with this set...

I've always hated that about small toys.  The manufacturers don't give a damn about scale.  They just figure cost and profit margin based on how much plastic they have to use in each item.  So they will make Tweety & Sylvester toys from the same assortment the same size, etc.

Nice pictures - Thanks!!!

(That other Jack-In-the-Box set, with Phantom on a boat and the small Dracula in a coffin, was from 2002.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:41:16 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
OK, so nothing is really free.  But I thought it would be fun to try to collect together examples of all the monster collectibles that were given away with other products - at no additional charge.

Some are actual monster toys, like kids' meals premiums.  Some are containers, like collectors' cups, etc.

Poster:

Displays:

White Castle Kids' Meal Toys from 1992.

The Toys:

I have the 1997 set, but don't know how I could have missed the 1999 set.  Thanks for posting.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

Jack-In-the-Box Kids' Meal Toys from 1999.

Displays:

White Castle Kids' Meal Toys from 1992.

The Toys:

It's both ironic and annoying that the two items I like the best from your list are from two of my favourite U.S. fast food chains, neither of which has any outlets in Canada.

:(
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
Headquartered in Chile, a fast food chain called Lomito'n is famous for their pork sandwiches:

As if that weren't enough to delight any monsterkid, they also gave us these very cool monster toys:

These very stylized 5" figures are glow-in-the-dark and were each issued in both opaque and slightly translucent soft white plastic.  They are quite rare.

Most of the examples of these toys were sold on eBay by a seller out of Argentina who said these were given out in that country in 1999.

I think I'd like to try one of those sandwiches - but easy on the mayo, please.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:24:46 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 05:22:28 PM »
As if that weren't enough to delight any monsterkid, they also gave us these very cool monster toys:

Would love to get a set of those!!!

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Monster posters folded up inside boxes of Post Super Sugar Crisps in the '70's. I have a set of these but I wish I kept the box. This photo is from the internet...

The Frankenstein looks like the one James Bama painted for the Aurora Gigantic Frankenstein kit while the others look like covers Basil Gogos did for Famous Monsters of Filmland. Am I correct?

???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:34:11 PM by Hepcat »

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
Headquartered in Chile, a fast food chain called Lomito'n is famous for their pork sandwiches:

I'd be buying the sandwiches to get a set of the slightly translucent monsters for sure!

8)

Street Worm

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
I love those Lomiton Monsters! :heart:

Here's a set from Taco Bell-

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Ok, here's some stuff!!

Pepsi caps from Japan, don't recall the year on these?!~

There is a Creature From the Black Lagoon (in both light and dark green) as well but I got those later and never took a picture apparently!
Found an image of the Creature online!

Don't know if this counts but images from Tombstone pizza 1999~

as far as I know these were the only two images available?!

Jack in the Box bag from 2002, the monsters and instruction sheets from that year~

You could also grab the little Kids Club book from Burger King!

A bonus to the BK toys was the glow stickers included with each one!!

Here's the Gettymart Creature~

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

These very stylized 5" figures are glow-in-the-dark and were each issued in both opaque and slightly translucent soft white plastic.  They are quite rare.

Most of the examples of these toys were sold on eBay by a seller out of Argentina who said these were given out in that country in 1999.

These are beautiful. It's too bad we don't see more cool premiums like this. The state of the world economy seems to have put the squeeze on monstery goodness. I long for "back in the day" when cool toy giveaways were commonplace. Some of our most treasured items were freebies: Anchor Hocking glasses, Soaky containers (you paid for the soap), MPC Weirds in Fritos, mega stuff in cereal, Sinclair dino stuff (I loved going to Sinclair, the parents got the gas and I got the dinosaurs!), and so much more. Monster gold now.....free back then.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
     These are beautiful. It's too bad we don't see more cool premiums like this. The state of the world economy seems to have put the squeeze on monstery goodness. I long for "back in the day" when cool toy giveaways were commonplace. Some of our most treasured items were freebies: Anchor Hocking glasses, Soaky containers (you paid for the soap), MPC Weirds in Fritos, mega stuff in cereal, Sinclair dino stuff (I loved going to Sinclair, the parents got the gas and I got the dinosaurs!), and so much more. Monster gold now.....free back then.

Were the Anchor-Hocking glasses give-a-ways?  Who gave them away?  How about the more colorful '80's set of monster glasses?

ADAM

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Were the Anchor-Hocking glasses give-a-ways?  Who gave them away?  How about the more colorful '80's set of monster glasses?
     I didn't get my AH glasses back then, but from what I hear back in the early sixties ('62 or '63) you could get one of the glasses free with a fillup of gas. I guess they were probably for sale at the same gas stations for a pittance. This is only hearsay mind you. Maybe someone else can shed further light on this. I was born in '59 so I was too young to know about the glasses back then, not that they would have survived unscathed all those years. I shelled out for my set last year like most of us had to. I wonder if any of our members have original AH monster glasses from the '60s.
     Concerning the '80s glasses I heard they were sold at Universal Studios and theme park. I don't own them and I don't really know.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
Ok, here's some stuff!!

Don't know if this counts but images from Tombstone pizza 1999~

as far as I know these were the only two images available?!

These are phenomenal.  I did not know that Tombstone partnered with Universal in 1999.  This is fantastic.  I'd imagine there was one more, for the all meat pizza.  There are usually three designs released annually.  I have only recently started collecting them.  Perhaps, one day, I will be able to snag these.

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »

I did a search around the Internet and saw quite a few places that described these Anchor-Hocking glasses as "reportedly" being gas station give-a-ways from "about" 1963.  They all sounded very tentative about swearing to that information.

But...  nowhere did I find anyone disputing the attribution, so:

Until someone contradicts the common assumption that these were freebies, let's list them here.

Does anyone have any personal experience with obtaining these that far back?  If so, tell us if they were from your local gas station - and what oil company was behind the promotion.

It would be great so see a poster or other promotional material from this set.

ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
These items are from a 1992 Pepsi/Pizza Hut promotion that I have listed as being from Canada.  Does anyone remember seeing these cups in the U.S.?

Cups front:

Cups back:

Cup lids:

The Frankenstein cup all the way around:

Hologram card MIB front and back:

Hologram cards MIB:

Hologram cards showing front & back:

There was also a cool-looking cardboard container for a personal size pizza or slice.  Seems like it had a big Universal logo on the top.  But I don't have a picture of that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:00:13 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM