Fifty years of Doctor Who..

Started by Memphremagog, February 24, 2013, 03:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Blasko

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on August 04, 2013, 08:56:03 PM
Twelfth Dr. Who:  Peter Capaldi

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=821377

Very glad to hear this. He's a fantastic actor and lifelong fan. I'm sure he will do well.
We Belong Dead...

Memphremagog

Peter is the same age that William Hartnell was when the show began in 1963..certainly not a bad thing. I was getting tired of the teen heartthrob versions of the Doctor the past few years. This should prove interesting. Now if producer Moffat can just come up with some decent scripts for next season and leave the fairtytale storytelling behind, we may have a really fantastic version of the show again.
DARK SHADOWS:

David Collins: "Dead people dont just get up and walk around.."

Sarah Collins: "Sometimes they do."

Memphremagog

It seems that two classic stories, believed to be lost, have now been returned to the BBC and soon will be ready for viewing. Two stories from Season Five, starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, ENEMY OF THE WORLD and THE WEB OF FEAR, are now back in time for the 50th anniversary next month. There may still be more to come..time will tell.
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

Both of these recovered stories have become hits available on itunes currently! Great news.
DARK SHADOWS:

judd

A new but short trailer (official) has been put out by the BBC for the 50th anniversary special.  It's wild.

Memphremagog

I saw that! Thought it was pretty great! Nice to see William Hartnell in color.
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

NIGHT OF THE DOCTOR(a prequel to the 50th anniversary episode)

http://youtu.be/-U3jrS-uhuo
DARK SHADOWS:

Memphremagog

DARK SHADOWS:

WnewCreatureFeatures

Loved the Anniversary special , great for both old and new fans and wonderful to see Tom Baker again

Flower

When I first 'found' Dr. Who, Tom Baker was the Doctor so he'll always have a special place in my heart.  I've since seen earlier series and also really like William Hartnell and John Pertwee.

I also like Peter Davison and have since I've watched 'All Creatures Great and Small' ..  8)

Colin Baker had a nice edge but I really didn't warm to him.

Dr. Who wasn't always available where I was living or life got in the way of television .. some of the early writers and directors of Dr. Who were also involved with 'Blake's 7' ... another program that I really loved.

R.I.P. Terry Nation
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

WnewCreatureFeatures

Quote from: Flower on February 13, 2014, 12:03:57 PM
When I first 'found' Dr. Who, Tom Baker was the Doctor so he'll always have a special place in my heart.  I've since seen earlier series and also really like William Hartnell and John Pertwee.

I also like Peter Davison and have since I've watched 'All Creatures Great and Small' ..  8)

Colin Baker had a nice edge but I really didn't warm to him.

Dr. Who wasn't always available where I was living or life got in the way of television .. some of the early writers and directors of Dr. Who were also involved with 'Blake's 7' ... another program that I really loved.

R.I.P. Terry Nation

The first Doctor I saw was Peter Cushing in the Theater, followed by Tom Baker then Jon Pertwee, I really loved classic who especially the fine character actors that appeared weekly in the show.

I met both Peter Cushing and then later Jon Pertwee (several times) and they were both wonderful people , Peter loved Dr Who and was saddened a third film never materialized , Jon was a super cool fellow (a real live action hero) we discussed racing and classic cars ( The Who mobile was something he had built )  He brought a James Bond quality to Doctor Who

There were alot of people working in the UK that did several different shows , Peter Davidson was on Who , All Creatures Great and Small and the Tomorrow People to name a few.

Terry Nation (real Creator of the Daleks who are my favoritre who villan)  was also the creator of Blakes 7 , I had met him in NY and we had dinner together and we talked Who , Blakes 7 , and other misc sci fi topics .

He was a true gentleman and pleasure to meet and talk with, he brought a dark edge to scifi in the film industry .

I recal while discussing various topics he mentioned he did not care for the "sweet" Star Trek universe and believed people would always be the same so though teck would advance in the future, the world would be as dark as it is today with all the evils still present.

Count_Zirock

Very amusing and spot-on parody via a "Doctor Who"/"Rocky Horror" mash-up.
http://youtu.be/9WBqHdI5Bdw

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

60sThru80s

Quote from: Memphremagog on August 05, 2013, 02:52:03 AM
I was getting tired of the teen heartthrob versions of the Doctor the past few years.

That's been my complaint about Doctor Who for most of the "new" series. I get the feeling that it's been written by proxy by teen-age girls and fan-driven emails. The reason I so much loved "classic" DW was that he was DIFFERENT from any other sci-fi character.
In order to make him that heartthrob, they've removed his uniqueness. I think the single most defining line of dialogue in the character's 50 year history was in "City of Death." Unfortunately it was a lousy episode and a lousy season, but when the 4th Doctor said to the Countess (Catherine Schell) "you're a very beautiful woman. Probably.", that "Probably" underscored his alienness and set him apart. With the new series, the focus is "oh, is he going to kiss this companion or that one." Who cares? People can watch any other sci-fi show's lead character if that's the defining aspect of him.
I hope they can return to the Doctor being what he was meant to be decades ago: UNIQUE FROM EVERY OTHER CHARACTER.
"...just leave me something to read." - Francesca, Mad Monster Party

Count_Zirock

I think Peter Capaldi will deliver a very interesting Doctor. He's the same age as William Hartnell when he first took on the role, 51 years ago. His new costume is reminiscent of John Pertwee, with a slightly modern twist. I would love to see a total redesign of the T.A.R.D.I.S.'s interior, too. Something closer to what was seen in Sylvester McCoy's era would be fun.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Haunted hearse

I'll bet over at Mount Crumpet, the Grinch is really hating this thread. :P
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?