Author Topic: New Universal Monsters in 2014 from Diamond Select  (Read 46373 times)

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
Re: New Universal Monsters in 2014 from Diamond Select
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
You guys are too hard on DST's SoF figure. While it isnt as if Karloff came to life in plastic form....its still neat. Esp. the deluxe version. Could it be better: yes. But its still better than a lot of stuff we have endured over the years.
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #451 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
No.  It's a cool figure all right, but I don't need two of a "cool figure."  I could take two of Karloff, though.   ;)

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #452 on: April 11, 2015, 08:16:03 PM »
No.  It's a cool figure all right, but I don't need two of a "cool figure."  I could take two of Karloff, though.   ;)
It's a cool FIGURE (with nice base & accessories) but it looks better without the head. I was thinking of removing the head and replacing it with the inspector's arm.

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #453 on: April 11, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
It's a cool FIGURE (with nice base & accessories) but it looks better without the head. I was thinking of removing the head and replacing it with the inspector's arm.

LOL....tough crowd. Nearly caused me to choke to death on a Coca Cola when I read this reply. ;) ;D

Spock

• Sergeant
    • Distinctive Dummies
« Reply #454 on: April 11, 2015, 10:03:52 PM »

Thats my Mordy lol

Dark Knight 1985

• New Recruit
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »
In my opinion I think the Select Son of Frankestein does look like Karloff.. Is it perfect? No . The  fur shirt he has is more acurate in color with the brownish red color..than Sideshows ..Again its is officiall likeness as we all know and to me the overall sculpt of the figure looks good along with his base.. Jean St Jean the sculptor showed me what pics he used from the movies to sculpt Karloff and the figure looks close enough to those photos.. IMO.. I think the first Select Monster by Marquez looked good too I see Karloff on both figures its also a different sculptors intake on the characters as well. 

MrDark1

• Corporal
  • MrDark1
« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
I had ordered the Select Son/Frank, and Select Creature through Amazon.
They arrived and the box looked as though someones fist went through it.
My figures had damage also, and sent them back for exchanges.

Well one went back, the Son/Frank fig was disappointing on likeness I must say.
It did not help beside package damage that he was posed pigeon toed, and wrist turned upwards.
Looking closer at the sculpt, I could not even convince myself it was Fred Gwynne as "Ygor",
or even Bud DeWolf, much less Karloff any where in there!

So I returned this one- and I'm a huge Frankenstein fanatic.  I replaced it with another Select Creature fig.
One to keep in package, one to open. This fig is Stunning!!

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »
  It looks a bit like mid-'70s Keith Richards.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:03:49 PM by Mord »

Dirtyhorse

• Sergeant
« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
  It looks a bit like mid-'70s Keith Richards.
Or Phil on Modern Family dressed up for Halloween.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Or Phil on Modern Family dressed up for Halloween.
Hey, DH, nice to see you posting outside of the "Model Kits" section.

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Some folks wouldn't be happy if you hanged them with a new rope. Yeesh. At least you got a super articulated Frankie. I'm still waiting to see how my SA Wolfman will look. He needs to be portly and look like Lon. I am fearful Universal will mandate he look like a doberman and be thin. :angel:

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »
Some folks wouldn't be happy if you hanged them with a new rope. Yeesh. At least you got a super articulated Frankie. I'm still waiting to see how my SA Wolfman will look. He needs to be portly and look like Lon. I am fearful Universal will mandate he look like a doberman and be thin. :angel:
You wouldn't be happy if your super articulated Wolfman looked as crappy as the SoF figure (I know how picky you are about Wolfie).

Dark Knight 1985

• New Recruit
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »
Well again the Select Son of Frankenstein and First Select Frankenstein  are both Official Karloff likeness as it says his name right on the back of packaging promoting the actor's character is proof right there.. Whether you think the sculpt is bad or not.. Its all opinions  I just feel some artist like Jeab st Jean has thier own take on sculpting is all its official and Universal has his rights to license out in make of the Monster and Mummy and im sure most of you know that..In 09 when DST obtained the Uni license Doc Mego claimed DST didnt hav Karloff's rights yet which is why the first Mummy haf Kharia head and The Monster Retro was Generic/ Glenn Strange which Aura explained to me was the better style for Retro! Eventually DST obtained Karloff rights thru Universal  they got both Select figures approved either befre or after they had his rights and then according to Doc Mego they told him to change kharis to Imhotep so Doc even questioned could they have done an 8" Retro style Karloff Monster? yeah most likley so but DST was cool with the Glen Strange /Generic version. The vinyl bust bank is karloff as i think it looks good and Zach from DST told me it is.. I also think all three Imhoteps look like Karloff too and they are official and so will the new highly articulated version this October..again just my opinion. i
In the end DST only has rights to Karloff and Both Chaney. the select Bride was not official even according to DST as she does not hav her trademark dimple chin. yes her face is on package but I believe Uni owns those poster images..

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
He needs to be portly and look like Lon. I am fearful Universal will mandate he look like a doberman and be thin. :angel:

Didn't you hear?  Universal is now all about that bass.    So there's no treble... er... trouble with that!   ;)

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
You wouldn't be happy if your super articulated Wolfman looked as crappy as the SoF figure (I know how picky you are about Wolfie).

True and True,lol. ;D