Author Topic: New Universal Monsters in 2014 from Diamond Select  (Read 16094 times)

Universal_Adam

• Sergeant
  • Why was I not made of stone, like thee?
    • My Facebook
New Universal Monsters in 2014 from Diamond Select
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
It doesn't seem like there was much at all.  There are the black and white versions of the Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Metaluna Mutant.

It seems that Minimates are gone all together.  This makes me really sad.

As for the figures..all they had to show was a "super articulated" Creature from the Black Lagoon and a Son of Frankenstein version of the monster.

These are great figures, but based on the lack of monsters at Toy Fair from DST I'm guessing that we're reaching the end of what we will see from Diamond Select.

Check out my Universal Monster Facebook Fan Page!
http://www.facebook.com/Ultimateuniversalstudiosmonstersfanpage

Type3Toys

• Sergeant
Re: New Universal Monsters in 2014 from Diamond Select
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
OMG! How tall are those??? I am so down for both of them! Bring on the Wolfman!!

zombiehorror

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
OMG! How tall are those??? I am so down for both of them! Bring on the Wolfman!!

DST already released a Wolf Man for this line!  I believe these are 8".

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
It doesn't seem like there was much at all.  There are the black and white versions of the Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Metaluna Mutant.

It seems that Minimates are gone all together.  This makes me really sad.

As for the figures..all they had to show was a "super articulated" Creature from the Black Lagoon and a Son of Frankenstein version of the monster.

These are great figures, but based on the lack of monsters at Toy Fair from DST I'm guessing that we're reaching the end of what we will see from Diamond Select.

I sure hope you are wrong about the line winding down. Those figures look good. Son of Frank looks super articulated as well. I so wanted a different Wolfman(more articluationa dn accuarte likeness), Kharis Mummy, Dracula's Daughter,  and Werewolf of London to show up from these guys. They are just starting to get good (although Dracula still is horribly generic).
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"

Universal_Adam

• Sergeant
  • Why was I not made of stone, like thee?
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
I guess since Toy Fair isn't over yet, they might still show more stuff..but It doesn't seem like it. Last Toy Fair there was SO much stuff!
Check out my Universal Monster Facebook Fan Page!
http://www.facebook.com/Ultimateuniversalstudiosmonstersfanpage

Type3Toys

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

Why dont I remember the Wolfman??

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
Jekyll, Hyde, Quasimodo, and Mole Man are on display and are due this year. Munsters Select series 2 is on display, and it now includes Uncle Gilbert (whom they label "Uncle Gillman". Whoops.). The new, more articulated Creature and the Frankenstein' Monster from Son of Frankenstein are 2014. Though I haven't seen any pics, I'll bet the Retro Action (Mego like) Mutant and Phantom of the Opera are on display somewhere, and fingers crossed there will be two more in that line. As for the Mini Mates, well, we pretty much knew that line had run its course from all Diamond has said about it.

Here's a pretty good overview pic of the monster section of the Diamond Select Toys Toy Fair International New York booth (not mine, from Action figure Insider):

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery2/album/TF2013-Diamond-Select-Toys/1360553301-78.php

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:29:01 PM by darkmonkeygod »
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
..all they had to show was a "super articulated" Creature from the Black Lagoon

I'm not sure what it would be, but I wish they could do something different than the same sculpt with more articulation. Of course, the Uncle Gilbert they're coming out with would be just that!
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

There was a bit of talk about a more articulated Wolf Man, and perhaps a Lugosi licensed Dracula.

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm not sure what it would be, but I wish they could do something different than the same sculpt with more articulation. Of course, the Uncle Gilbert they're coming out with would be just that!

This is a different sculpt, by Jean St Jean, if I'm not mistaken. The first DST (2010) Creature is Rudy Garcia's work (though the Kay in the Select set is St Jean). It would have been cool had they made this one the underwater suit and a swapable Revenge (which I over suggested to Chuck at Comic Con, and New York, and the gallery show, and at the parties, and...). What? I want a Revenge figure.

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
There was a bit of talk about a more articulated Wolf Man, and perhaps a Lugosi licensed Dracula.

Now this is what I'm talking about.  I really do love both the new Creature and the Son of Frank.  Give us a licensed Lugosi and another Wolf Man, and I think we'll be set.  While additional monsters would be most welcome, it's probably not doable in the current market.  The major characters, though, like Frank, Drac, Wolf, and Creech will sell time and time again.  Perhaps a Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man Lon Chaney figure for the more articulated figure?  And I would also be down for a Revenge Creature. 

Mike Scott

• Army Administrator
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
It would have been cool had they made this one the underwater suit and a swapable Revenge

Universal probably won't let people do the underwater or Revenge suits. "Style Guides" and all, ya know.  :P
CREATURE FAN

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
Now this is what I'm talking about.  I really do love both the new Creature and the Son of Frank.  Give us a licensed Lugosi and another Wolf Man, and I think we'll be set.  While additional monsters would be most welcome, it's probably not doable in the current market.  The major characters, though, like Frank, Drac, Wolf, and Creech will sell time and time again.  Perhaps a Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man Lon Chaney figure for the more articulated figure?  And I would also be down for a Revenge Creature. 

Chuck didn't seem too hot on the Revenge Creature (or the underwater suit) because it is too niche, which I understand and agree with. As far as Dracula goes...

I've stayed out of posting in the most current likeness rights Dracula thread because I've repeated myself far to often about same here on the UMA (and even in the face of fact, many people will never change what they believe to be true), but I'll reiterate in this thread that in multiple discussions with Chuck, the Director of DST, I've been told they have and still are looking at the possibility. As he's expressed it, it comes down to cost. If DST can spread the cost across multiple product lines (Select, TRU exclusive, Retro Action, bank, ???) then it might be viable, and if it's viable, they'll do it.

It's not as if they all have zero knowledge of nor any love for what they do. Most of these folks are fans. AND they are good business people. If they can make a financially profitable Lugosi Dracula, it would be irresponsible to the company not to. But profitable is the key word. Keep your fingers crossed, keep PRE ordering DST monsters so that retailers actually commit orders before a product is manufactured, and heck, drop DST a line to let 'em know you love what they are doing and what you want to see. You might even consider putting the word in the ear of TRU corporate, or any other retail partner that would be large enough to support the Lugosi Dracula cost.

I thought it was a shame that TRU didn't carry the UM vinyl banks. That Creature is fantastic, and though it didn't come out perfect, the head and hands from the cancelled ultra-size Frankenstein's Monster finally saw the light of day.

jimm

• Sergeant
  • The Foom Abides!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
Definitely in on the Creature and the Monster. Where my super articulated Wolfman???