What's this Kong?

Started by NekroDave, September 24, 2008, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekroDave

I looked in the galleries (there's no Kong gallery??!!?) but didn't see it. Anyone know who made it and when? It's yellow polyethylene painted black and obviously needs a new paint job. Not sure if I'm gonna do that or not. But at that size I had to have it anyway.

This fulfills a dream for me. Literally. I once dreamed of a Jumbo Machinder King Kong and this is probably the closest thing to it!

Toy Ranch

Man...  that looks like the Frankenstein.... wow.

NekroDave

Ok. I didn't know about that Frankenstein until now. Possible carnival prize? OMG. If that Kong is a carnival prize, I'll be enormously happy as I love that sort of thing. I've got a huge collection of carnival robots, biggest that I know of. I'll have to ask some questions of the seller about this then.

Oh, and Terry, can I have that Frankenstein?

Toy Ranch

The origin remains a mystery, but that's possible.  I've seen the Frankenstein painted black and flaking like that Kong you have.  Also, look at the hands.  They look the same.  The arms move the same.  They are about the same size I think...  it looks like a match.

raycastile

That Kong is awesome.  I think I like him more than the Frank.  I like the expression on his face.  It's very...monstrous.

Raymond Castile

chrisnurse

Oooh, that's a really nice Kong. He does look a lot like the Frankie stylistically. Is he a new find?
You can't kill the Boogeyman

fmofmpls

Wow! I finally get to see the companion piece to my yellow Frankenstein. Too friggin' cool! I love it as much as my Frank. Yes, this is a very mysterious monster toy. And very coveted in my world. Me want very badly! It's stuff like this that really grabs my attention more than any other monster collectible.

Nekro .. how long have you had this, and where may I ask, did you unearth this?
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

NekroDave

I won it on Ebay about a week and a half ago and I just got it yesterday . It was right there under "King Kong"! :) Oh and the seller doesn't know anything about it.

Monster Bob

My guess is a kid painted this Kong black, as every yellow-painted Frankenstein version I've ever seen was a "homedone" paintjob. (IOW it was sold unpainted, like Terry's)

The Frankenstein bank was also sold molded in black, and then factory painted on the face and hands in airbrush, similar to the Frankenstein headspeaker.

Soooo....if the Kong paintjob is a 'factory' paintjob, it would be reasonable to assume it would be airbrushed, not brush painted.

raycastile

Just how many of those yellow Frankensteins have you seen?

Quote from: Monster Bob on September 25, 2008, 08:04:20 PM
My guess is a kid painted this Kong black, as every yellow-painted Frankenstein version I've ever seen was a "homedone" paintjob. (IOW it was sold unpainted, like Terry's)

Raymond Castile

Monster Bob

I know of four yellow ones and three black ones.

NekroDave

So, how many Kongs have you seen, Bob? It's sounds almost like this is the first, but I can't be that lucky, can I? I seem to have knack for scoring rare Kongs. First the big Imperial, then the little Renzis, now this! All in my first year of collecting.. Gotta love that dumb blind luck..:)