Author Topic: From the front desk  (Read 2581 times)

fmofmpls

• Army General
  • Play nice!
From the front desk
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
Greetings from the front desk.

I would like to take some time to address an unfortunate incident that took place the other day at our Model Kits board. Without going into all the details and fanning the flames of an already distinguished fire, let me just say that a honest mistake was made at an administrative level, which then lead to even more mistakes, which finally resulted in a total thermo-nuclear meltdown of the entire thread.

My point in even addressing this at all, is to remind all individuals that we're not perfect here, and that many of the mods here do not police this site 24/7. Being a moderator here is not a paid position. Many times we rely on our members to point out violators and disturbances by means of the "report to moderator" button. And even then, that doesn't mean the problem will be addressed in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it might take several hours before a moderator is able to address the situation. This is how it is, and it's not going to change. I could give you a dozen reasons why this is, but to be honest, I don't feel I owe anyone an explanation. With that that having been said, and at risk of sounding prideful, I still feel the UMA is one of the best run sites in fandom. Our mods here do a wonderful job sanitizing the filth and slander that many times kills other message boards. I know not everyone will agree, but that's okay. I also know sometimes we might have an itchy finger, and are quick to lock threads that could lead to a raging fire, but I'll risk that criticism every time over the end result (one which has been proven toxic time and time again).

So please, I ask for some patience and understanding that we're not perfect. That all of us here are also busy trying to earn a living, raise kids, pay bills, all while trying to carve out some available free time for our beloved hobby. No excuses and no apologies; just the facts. We will continue to strive in bringing you the best possible user experience here at UMA. That is our mission. If we sometimes fall short of that goal, please forgives us and allow us to try again.

Thank you for your support, and may God continue to bless the UMA.

Best, Terry Ingram.
The General of the UMA.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:15:59 AM by fmofmpls »
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
Re: From the front desk
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:34 AM »
I knew from the start that it was a misunderstanding, and that it would have been quietly and amicably sorted out if the member in question had just had a modicum of patience. Unfortunately, they chose to throw, for lack of a better word, a tantrum. They made the situation far, far worse than it ever originally was. It was an unfortunate incident, and, hopefully, one we can all learn from.
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello