Author Topic: Show off your Weekly Finds.  (Read 938914 times)

Hepcat

• Sergeant
Re: Show off your Weekly Finds.
« Reply #6720 on: September 19, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
So, a while ago I got this. It's a Leaf Spook Theater sticker from 1961. I've got twenty of them now.

Spook Theatre Sticker ( Leaf 1961 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Twenty! Wow! Those are tough to find. I only have nine of them in my collection. Here they are:

How much have you been paying for them? Where have you been finding them? Card shows?

???

You have to be careful since these have evidently been counterfeited. The glue on the back of the counterfeits is not nice and smooth as it is on the real ones.

:)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:33:24 AM by Hepcat »
Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6721 on: September 19, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
You have to be careful since these have evidently been counterfeited.

Maybe all those ones I see on eBay are counterfeit, then?
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #6722 on: September 19, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »
You really have to see the backs to tell.

Quote from: Kurt Kuersteiner
The other big obstacle is counterfeits. For many years, various crooks have photocopied the stickers, smeared adhesive on the back, and sold them as originals. This has had a chilling effect on the buying and selling of Spook stickers in general. Fortunately, the fakes are pretty easy to spot because the fake adhesive doesn't have that smooth "from the factory" look. It should appear smooth and even, like the old style stamps, and not brushed or sprayed on after the fact.

Here's the whole article on these stickers from 2007:

My Favourite Find - The Wrapper

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:43:54 AM by Hepcat »

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6723 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:18 AM »
You really have to see the back to tell.

I'm prolly not gonna buy one to find out.  ;D
CREATURE FAN

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #6724 on: September 20, 2019, 12:45:58 AM »
Twenty! Wow! Those are tough to find. I only have nine of them in my collection. Here they are:

How much have you been paying for them? Where have you been finding them? Card shows?

???

You have to be careful since these have evidently been counterfeited. The glue on the back of the counterfeits is not nice and smooth as it is on the real ones.

Four of them I've had since I was a kid, the others I've collected over the years--some I got at a collectibles show, some I got off e-bay. Luckily I haven't paid very much for any of them, though. Thanks for the warning about the counterfeits. I'm gonna have to go check the backs of some of the more recent ones I got.

And speaking of hard to find stickers--I recently got two more Frankenstien Valentine stickers to add to my collection. Here's one of them. The other one I didn't scan yet...

Frankenstein Valentine Sticker--No. 34, King Kong ( Topps 1966 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6725 on: September 20, 2019, 01:51:41 AM »
I recently got two more Frankenstien Valentine stickers to add to my collection.

What did those set you back?
CREATURE FAN

Hepcat

• Sergeant
« Reply #6726 on: September 20, 2019, 10:20:00 AM »
Maybe all those ones I see on eBay are counterfeit, then?

Most of the (expensive) ones are listed by simgin (Simon):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Leaf+Spook+Stories+stickers&_sacat=0

I know Simon quite well and I therefore doubt that they'd be counterfeit. Simon is a professional engineer who owned (or perhaps still does) an engineering firm in Québec City or thereabouts. He has been a big time dedicated hockey card collector for several decades and started to deal in cards as a sidelight of his collecting activities. As such he has for many years had a booth at the semi-annual Sport Card & Memorabilia Expo in Toronto which is a massive show and functions as the biggest hockey card convention in the world. I bought a whole bunch of my York Dinosaur cards from Simon at this convention around 25 years ago:

But that was when his prices were reasonable. His pricing strategy seems to have changed though, and I think I now understand why he changed it. You see back at the Sport Card Expo in 2001 or so, he had two or tree binders of really nice CFL cards which he'd bought. Being primarily a hockey card collector, his initial thinking was that he was buying the cards for resale. But when he looked them over and saw how cool they were, he said "Hmmmm, I think I keep."

His wife then interjected "No, no, you sell!"

So that's what he's doing now. He doesn't really want to actually sell all this stuff he has listed on Ebay; he just lists them at really high prices so that he can tell his wife that "Yes, yes, it's all up for sale".

;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:37:08 PM by Hepcat »

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #6727 on: September 21, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »

Found a 19" Frankenstein Blow Mold Bank in acceptable condition for $740.  He has the usual collapsed nose (all the plastic is there) and there is a hole in his chin where something hot, like a soldering iron was inserted.  There are also numerous tiny holes where it looks like he was used for dart practice.  With all that, he looks surprisingly good in person.

What worries me most is that it looks like his flaking black paint was touched up with a black permanent marker - and the marker was used to give him a Van Dyke.  Anyone know how to remove marker stain from soft blow mold plastic?

Here he is next to my Speaker Head for scale:

ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6728 on: September 21, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
Found a 19" Frankenstein Blow Mold Bank in acceptable condition for $740.

Congrats on getting one of your grails (I assume)!  :)   

Are you going to have it restored, or leave it as is?
CREATURE FAN

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #6729 on: September 21, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
Congrats on getting one of your grails (I assume)!  :)   

Are you going to have it restored, or leave it as is?

It should be restored.  Would like to strip it to bare yellow.  What paint there is on it would be easily removed - just wonder what to do about the stooped permanent marker.
ADAM

Monolith

• Sergeant
« Reply #6730 on: September 21, 2019, 06:33:27 PM »
What did those set you back?

First, Monsters For Sale--congrats on the blow-mold Frankenstein, That's great. I'd love to get one of those, but they're out of my price range.

Mike--The Frankenstein Valentine stickers were $35 each, which is a good price for those, but it's the most I've ever spent on a card. But I love 'em. Here's the other one I got. I have ten of them now...

Frankenstein Valentine Sticker No.38 ( Topps 1966 ) by donald deveau, on Flickr

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6731 on: September 21, 2019, 07:44:25 PM »
- just wonder what to do about the stooped permanent marker.

Good luck! They don't call them "permanent" markers for nothing!  :(
CREATURE FAN

Mike Scott

• Army General
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #6732 on: September 21, 2019, 07:50:05 PM »
Mike--The Frankenstein Valentine stickers were $35 each, which is a good price for those

They are usually $50 and up. I like the werewolf card!  :)
CREATURE FAN

SpeedierThantheGrave

• Corporal
  • It's Monster Surfing Time!
« Reply #6733 on: September 21, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
Sharpie markers are soluble in alcohol.  Maybe try some alcohol wipes first, and if the plastic seems to be doing ok, give it a soak if need be?
Stay sick. Turn blue. Drop dead.

Anton Phibes

• Sergeant
  • Good Evening, Dr. Vesalius
« Reply #6734 on: September 22, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »
Sharpie markers are soluble in alcohol.  Maybe try some alcohol wipes first, and if the plastic seems to be doing ok, give it a soak if need be?

This is very sound advice.
"Nine Killed you---Nine shall Die!"