Show off your Weekly Finds.

Started by hhwolfman, December 09, 2007, 04:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks666

"They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Hepcat

The Atlas comics of the fifties did a much better job of conveying the horror of war than did the swashbuckling Marvel Sgt. Fury title in the sixties.

hmjfym

Collecting! It's what I do!

horrorhunter

Quote from: Hepcat on May 25, 2017, 07:21:33 PM
The Atlas comics of the fifties did a much better job of conveying the horror of war than did the swashbuckling Marvel Sgt. Fury[?I] title in the sixties.

hmjfym
I was a WWII buff as a kid and young teenager, and being a comic reader I had quite a few War comics. I had a few Sgt. Fury issues, but even as a kid I thought it was a little too over-the-top and somewhat silly. Even though I never cared much for DC's main Superheroes I really enjoyed some of the secondary titles like Metal Men and Tomahawk. I also enjoyed DC's other genre books like their Horror (Mystery) and War. My favorite DC War book was G.I. Combat with The Haunted Tank. I loved seeing that little supernaturally enhanced Stuart kickin' the crap outta those Ratzi Tiger tanks. Then Jeb Stuart's ghost would show up on horseback and wave to the crew in the Stuart. I really enjoyed Russ Heath's artwork on those Haunted Tank stories.

ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 25, 2017, 09:19:02 PM
I was a WWII buff as a kid and young teenager, and being a comic reader I had quite a few War comics. I had a few Sgt. Fury issues, but even as a kid I thought it was a little too over-the-top and somewhat silly. Even though I never cared much for DC's main Superheroes I really enjoyed some of the secondary titles like Metal Men and Tomahawk. I also enjoyed DC's other genre books like their Horror (Mystery) and War. My favorite DC War book was G.I. Combat with The Haunted Tank. I loved seeing that little supernaturally enhanced Stuart kickin' the crap outta those Ratzi Tiger tanks. Then Jeb Stuart's ghost would show up on horseback and wave to the crew in the Stuart. I really enjoyed Russ Heath's artwork on those Haunted Tank stories.

This was Russ Heath's first Atlas War story:

Here is the first cover that he did for Atlas' line of War comics (not my scan):

Bogey

Nice monster mag,but too bad only four were produced.

PS: Mike, your blog was very handy on my phone when needing a fast info brief on these before my purchase.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Bogey on May 26, 2017, 01:23:20 AM
Nice monster mag,but too bad only four were produced.

It is too bad! MM was a good mag! On a par with "Monsters From The Movies". It was produced by fans and it shows.
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

BRICK

Issue # 4, on the left, is the first monster magazine I ever saw at a newstand. As per the cover wording, I thought the monster shown was a Lon Chaney, Jr character (hey, I was young...).
When times are dark, don't consider art to be merely a distraction; rather, think of it as a lifeline-  Neil Gaiman paraphrase.

Creepy

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 25, 2017, 09:19:02 PM

I loved Weird War Tales. As a kid it was the perfect blend of my love for WW2, monsters, and comics.
Check out my Vintage posters and Masks at The Haunted Cinema

horrorhunter

Quote from: Creepy on May 26, 2017, 11:49:50 AM
I loved Weird War Tales. As a kid it was the perfect blend of my love for WW2, monsters, and comics.
Weird War Tales was a favorite of mine as well. I also really loved the dinosaur issues of Star Spangled War Stories early on. Even though the dinos were depicted as tank-chomping monsters it was perfect for a 6 year old Dinokid.

Like a dumb*ss I got rid of my stack of War comics when I started collecting back in 1975. I never did replace those in my collection and I currently have no War comics. I did the same thing with my Dell/Gold Key Turoks but I fixed that a few months ago and now I have the whole run. Maybe I'll go on a DC War comics buying binge and grab a bunch of those cool G.I. Combats, Weird Wars, and SSWS dino issues.  :)
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

creaturefan95

Quote from: horrorhunter on May 26, 2017, 03:31:04 PM
Weird War Tales was a favorite of mine as well. I also really loved the dinosaur issues of Star Spangled War Stories early on. Even though the dinos were depicted as tank-chomping monsters it was perfect for a 6 year old Dinokid.

Like a dumb*ss I got rid of my stack of War comics when I started collecting back in 1975. I never did replace those in my collection and I currently have no War comics. I did the same thing with my Dell/Gold Key Turoks but I fixed that a few months ago and now I have the whole run. Maybe I'll go on a DC War comics buying binge and grab a bunch of those cool G.I. Combats, Weird Wars, and SSWS dino issues.  :)

I posted scans of all my WWT issues last summer and a recent addition to my collection just yesterday. ;)

Mike Scott

Quote from: BRICK on May 26, 2017, 10:23:36 AM
I thought the monster shown was a Lon Chaney, Jr character

Lon Chaney is THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD!!  That's a weird looking THING, BTW.
CREATURE FAN

Monsterscud

Quote from: BRICK on May 26, 2017, 10:23:36 AM
Issue # 4, on the left, is the first monster magazine I ever saw at a newstand. As per the cover wording, I thought the monster shown was a Lon Chaney, Jr character (hey, I was young...).

This was also the first monster mag I had ever seen, I was at a newsagents with my Mum here in the UK back in 1975/76. I couldn't believe I was seeing this on the newsstand, I was begging my Mum to buy it for me, which she did. I still had that issue until the early 80s then it got lost somehow. Got myself another one now though. Love it and boy what a beautiful cover.

Bogey

This 1960 paperback has been on my search list for a good while now.  Finally found a wallet friendly copy.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Bogey on May 26, 2017, 11:40:15 PM
This 1960 paperback has been on my search list for a good while now. 

Nice cover art!
CREATURE FAN