Author Topic: Show off your Weekly Finds.  (Read 913708 times)

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
Re: Show off your Weekly Finds.
« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
Nice Mummy mask...  especially for 4 bucks!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #1066 on: October 06, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »
I took a couple days off this week to 1. clean up and reconfigure my basement/monster area and 2. scour the area for monster stuff. Yesterday I went to three thrift stores, Big Lots, an International Market (for possible Mexican monster toys), Target and a wacky import dollar store. The dollar store had two large boxes in one aisle marked "Halloween" but they weren't open and the guy was watching me. Have to go back today.
I did find a nice old mask - the style is familiar but I don't recall seeing this particular color scheme, it may not show well but it's kind of a pastel aqua. SLightly beat up but that thin old plastic never holds up well and those masks seem to get abused/sat on/shoved in a bag etc. Anyway  -

More adventures await this day, will report back.

Bogey

• Sergeant
« Reply #1067 on: October 06, 2009, 09:38:17 PM »
That one is sweet, Packy!

ramsey37

• Sergeant
  • See you in your dreams, kids!
« Reply #1068 on: October 07, 2009, 11:16:41 AM »
This isn't exactly a monster toy, but it is a neat piece from a fantasy movie. I was recently browsing through a local antique store and found this in one of the display cases:

Royal Doulton did a series of figurines based on the 70's "Lord of the Rings" animated film. This was the first time I'd seen one in person, and I got him for only $45.00 :)
George (of the Nine Fingers)
Where apathy is master, all men are slaves.

dctony

• Private First Class
« Reply #1069 on: October 07, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
Ramsey,
Great find. They did a good job with the likeness from the movie. By the way the movie was cool, not as good as Peter Jacksons but still pretty neat.

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #1070 on: October 08, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »
Stopped at thrift store on my way to band practice. Found this and said "Hey it's Quasimodo!". Printing stamped into it but I couldn't read it without my specs. I just bought it because i like it.  When I got home I asked Darcy and she started reading.. "Topstone something something CT"...that was enough for me! Talk about your blind squirrel.

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #1071 on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »
Nice Laughton Hunchback!
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

monsterphile

• Sergeant Major
  • UMA member since September 29, 2003
« Reply #1072 on: October 09, 2009, 05:51:53 AM »
What a difference between the thrift stores in Minnesota nad the ones in New Jersey.  I've to various ones around here, both Gopodwill ones and independent ones, and nothing good ever turns up here.  They're so poorly run.  You're one lucky shopper Paul.

Rob

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #1073 on: October 09, 2009, 06:28:20 AM »
What a difference between the thrift stores in Minnesota nad the ones in New Jersey.

I don't know Rob! They just make a big deal out of Halloween, they stockpile the Halloween stuff all year then they have so much they keep putting new items out daily. Yes I do consider myself lucky, I have to pinch myself. "Given the dilapidated condition of my wallet..." this is the only way I can afford anything old.

chrisnurse

• Sergeant
    • http://www.blackengine.co.uk
« Reply #1074 on: October 09, 2009, 07:21:53 AM »
Great score Packy! What a great find!
The shrift stores here don't ever have any halloween stuff  >:(
You can't kill the Boogeyman

darkmonkeygod

• Sergeant
  • grrrrrrrrrrrr...
« Reply #1075 on: October 09, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
I don't know Rob! They just make a big deal out of Halloween, they stockpile the Halloween stuff all year then they have so much they keep putting new items out daily. Yes I do consider myself lucky, I have to pinch myself. "Given the dilapidated condition of my wallet..." this is the only way I can afford anything old.

Most do. Goodwill runs an internal contest for best store, which has caused quite a few problems for me in the past, as they don't want to sell the items until their contest is over. I've gotten more than one manager to inform an employee that, since they are a charity and the items are donated, they legally have to sell 'em. Actually had someone try not to sell me a very cool black ceramic skull that WAS PRICED and on a table top. Funny.

Back when times were richer and gas not so expensive, pals and I would drive from store to store ass they put stuff out. Gotta lots of cool stuff that way, but no major scores. Ah, Halloween.
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

depressedlarrytalbot

• Sergeant
« Reply #1076 on: October 10, 2009, 03:03:01 AM »
Local toy store sells fantasy and natural history figures by German compnay Schleich and also Papo, a French manufacturer. I previously bought my son some Papo fantasy animal-warriors with weapons and armor, a lion-man and a rhino-man, but today I found a fairly contemporary and generic wolf-man.

He's pretty cool and fits in the palm of the hand, so about 4" in height (but crouched).

He's also, eh, anatomically correct, as you may observe from the photo showing the soles of his feet.

packy120353

• Sergeant
« Reply #1077 on: October 10, 2009, 05:32:02 AM »
That's pretty cool! I've only seen Unicorns and stuff, time to check again, thanks for showing that.

raycastile

• Sergeant Major
    • The Gallery of Monster Toys
« Reply #1078 on: October 10, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
Great mask!

Stopped at thrift store on my way to band practice. Found this and said "Hey it's Quasimodo!". Printing stamped into it but I couldn't read it without my specs. I just bought it because i like it.  When I got home I asked Darcy and she started reading.. "Topstone something something CT"...that was enough for me! Talk about your blind squirrel.

Raymond Castile

Dr.Terror

• Sergeant
  • Welcome to my House of Horrors
« Reply #1079 on: October 10, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
found these at a local $.99 store.

Morning, noon, or night, Anytime . . . . the count may strike. If you're caught you have to linger, Cause Dracula may bite your finger!