Author Topic: Do You Believe in Ghosts?  (Read 11987 times)

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
Re: Do You Believe in Ghosts?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
No, I don't believe in ghosts. I do love ghost stories, but I don't believe in the supernatural at all.

Dr. John Markway: Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen.

Actually, I am a firm believer in the Supernatural, but not in Ghosts...I somewhat agree with Neonnoodle, but to the extent of my beliefs that these spectres, ghosts, haunts, etc are more darker than we think.

Zackuth

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
I have had some things that are unexplainable, but I don't know if I say it was a ghost or not.  The first occasion was when I was at home on my way to the bathroom.  As I was just about to go down the hallway I ran into somethng or some one.  It was enough to stop me going a decent pace.  Looking around I was not near a wall to stop me nor was there anyone in the hallway.  The second time was when I was on my ship the Raleigh on watch.  I was taking a reading in an area where there were two ladders to the level and I was in view of both.  I heard someone coming down the ladder to the deck I was on, the ladder was loose and made different noises when going up and coming down, I know that.  But when I went to look, no one was there.  This happened late at night and there was no other noises that could have confused me. 
Now, could I have accidently ran into a part of my wall at home and mistakenly thought I was at the open area of the hallway?  Sure, it's possible.
Could some of my shipmates been playing a prank on me and made it sound as though someone was coming down the ladder?  Sure, it's possible.
As a Christian, I believe that souls either go to heaven or hell upon death, therefore I don't believe in ghosts.  But now comes the question; if my encounters were of a supernatural type, then did were those things?
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
I have had some things that are unexplainable, but I don't know if I say it was a ghost or not.  The first occasion was when I was at home on my way to the bathroom.  As I was just about to go down the hallway I ran into somethng or some one.  It was enough to stop me going a decent pace.  Looking around I was not near a wall to stop me nor was there anyone in the hallway.  The second time was when I was on my ship the Raleigh on watch.  I was taking a reading in an area where there were two ladders to the level and I was in view of both.  I heard someone coming down the ladder to the deck I was on, the ladder was loose and made different noises when going up and coming down, I know that.  But when I went to look, no one was there.  This happened late at night and there was no other noises that could have confused me. 
Now, could I have accidently ran into a part of my wall at home and mistakenly thought I was at the open area of the hallway?  Sure, it's possible.
Could some of my shipmates been playing a prank on me and made it sound as though someone was coming down the ladder?  Sure, it's possible.
As a Christian, I believe that souls either go to heaven or hell upon death, therefore I don't believe in ghosts.  But now comes the question; if my encounters were of a supernatural type, then did were those things?
I agree with that statement, as I am also...which brings me to, Demonic Activity.

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »
So now Casper represents some kind of Demonic force?  I thought Hot Stuff had that teritory covered. :P
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

Fester

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Not to mention Phil, Ruler of Heck.

RedKing

• Sergeant
  • Prehistoric Mastadon of Destruction!
    • Deviant Art account
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
I definitely believe in ghosts, however I do think there is a science for the "supernatural" that we just do not understand. Many ghost and haunted areas have higher than usual electromagnetic fields which has to have something to do with the phenomena whether it creates illusions or ghosts are actually a form of energy we don't understand.
Crazy am I? We'll see if I'm crazy or not!

Zackuth

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
I agree with that statement, as I am also...which brings me to, Demonic Activity.

That's what I would be leaning toward as well. 
"Listen to them; the children of the night.  What music they make!"  Dracula

Unknown Primate

• Sergeant
  • Legend of Wildcat Creek
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
I've experienced some strange events that I couldn't explain - but 90% of them, I could.  Maybe even 98%.  It's that weird little Twilight Zone-ish 2% that interests me.  I've known some very trustworthy, honest people who feel they have seen & experienced some sort of paranormal phenomena.  I believe them.  Several of my relatives have had really weird experiences.  And some UMA members, also.  I believe them.  The thing about my family, sisters, nieces, etc. (and probably the UMA'ers), we all have an interest in creepy stuff, but have always believed in debunking everything we could, first.  Also, I think it's human nature for some folks to embellish and dramatize their stories.  And I don't hold anything against them - doesn't mean that the supernatural can't have a basis of truth, IMO.

I know there is an unseen world, what with all the technology and natural events going on around us.  Power lines, radar, microwaves, tvs, computers, internet, sonar, motors, fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, cell phones, ball lightning, atmospheric changes, electric appliances, house wiring, satellite beams, underground cables, atoms, molecules, compounds, etc.  It may sound crazy, but what if the paranormal is just that - above the norm?  What if high strangeness is supposed to be part of our world?  That hidden, dark and unknown area.  That two percent. 
Ghosts?  Spirits of the dead?  I don't know.  The paranormal?  I firmly believe that there's more to this universe than we'll ever know.  And sometimes it breaks through to show itself, in some form or another.

But that's just me, your humble UP.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:21:35 PM by Unknown Primate »
" Perhaps he dimly wonders why, there is no other such as I. "

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 09:39:04 PM »
Sounds about right to me, UP. 

Before I saw what I saw (when I saw it  :P), I'd always thought I may have had an earlier encounter with something paranormal - a strange white mist.  But after seeing this Shadow Person or whatever it is, I can now distinguish my wishful thinking (Probably was some sort of steam) from the truly out-of-this-world phenomena.  It was at that point when I started telling people, "Okay, if you've seen a 'ghost,' you know it.  There's no two ways about it."

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
Sounds about right to me, UP. 

Before I saw what I saw (when I saw it  :P), I'd always thought I may have had an earlier encounter with something paranormal - a strange white mist.  But after seeing this Shadow Person or whatever it is, I can now distinguish my wishful thinking (Probably was some sort of steam) from the truly out-of-this-world phenomena.  It was at that point when I started telling people, "Okay, if you've seen a 'ghost,' you know it.  There's no two ways about it."

Tell me more about this Shadow Person.

CreepysFan

• Sergeant
  • UNCLE CREEPY
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 10:34:36 PM »

This mirrors my thoughts as well.
" THIS BLANKET IS A NECESSITY.  IT KEEPS ME FROM CRACKING UP." - LINUS VAN PELT

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
I was 20 years-old at the time.  It was Christmas break.  I had just woken up.  (Bad way to start a story about a "ghost" encounter, I know.)  Anyway, to clarify, I was fully awake.  I was moving and able to talk, fully-conscious.  I sat up in bed, after being rudely awakened by a nightmare.  It was very dark in the room, as it was just about 6:58 in the morning, so there was only a tiny bit of light coming in from above the curtains.  Because it was so dark, I couldn't make out many fine details in the room.  I could make out the outline and some faint details of my Universal Monsters poster hanging on the closet directly in front of my bed, near the entryway to my room.  Only a few seconds had passed, and then I saw this figure coming into the room.  The wall blocked my view of the door, but I assumed it had been opened and that the figure coming in was that of my mother.  It was about average height for a female, but it had something on its head, making it look taller.  I assumed it was my mother with a towel on her head.  (When I was little, she would always put her hair up in a towel after taking a shower.  She didn't do this at the time I saw the figure, though, but I didn't make the connection.)  But, because, it was darker, I couldn't really tell.  But, since we were the only two in the house at the time, there was no one else that it could have been.  I thought it was strange that she didn't say anything as she walked in.  I was confused by the fact that she hadn't knocked, so I just waited for her to acknowledge me.  The figure eventually stopped at the edge of my bed and turned to face me.   As it looked at me, and I realized I couldn't make out any real details, despite the fact that it was now in front of my Universal Monsters poster, I was taken aback.  I called out to it.  I said, "Mother?"  At that point, the particles that made up the figure dissipated.  They literally dispersed and became part of the surrounding atmosphere.  I was not disturbed nor was I really scared.  Rather, I was confused.  I hopped out of bed and found my mother in the other room.  I asked her if she had been in my room.  She said ''no.''  It was at that point I explained to her, very rationally, that I had just seen a "ghost."  I wasn't really shaken by the experience until later in the day, when I fully realized the implications. 

Afterwards, I couldn't sleep.  For nearly three weeks, I had to keep all of the lights on.  I eventually got to the point where a couple of nightlights would do the trick, but I have never again allowed myself to sleep in total - or near total - darkness for fear the conditions would be right for me to see it again.  To this day, it still freaks me out. 

Dr.Teufel Geist

• Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
I was 20 years-old at the time.  It was Christmas break.  I had just woken up.  (Bad way to start a story about a "ghost" encounter, I know.)  Anyway, to clarify, I was fully awake.  I was moving and able to talk, fully-conscious.  I sat up in bed, after being rudely awakened by a nightmare.  It was very dark in the room, as it was just about 6:58 in the morning, so there was only a tiny bit of light coming in from above the curtains.  Because it was so dark, I couldn't make out many fine details in the room.  I could make out the outline and some faint details of my Universal Monsters poster hanging on the closet directly in front of my bed, near the entryway to my room.  Only a few seconds had passed, and then I saw this figure coming into the room.  The wall blocked my view of the door, but I assumed it had been opened and that the figure coming in was that of my mother.  It was about average height for a female, but it had something on its head, making it look taller.  I assumed it was my mother with a towel on her head.  (When I was little, she would always put her hair up in a towel after taking a shower.  She didn't do this at the time I saw the figure, though, but I didn't make the connection.)  But, because, it was darker, I couldn't really tell.  But, since we were the only two in the house at the time, there was no one else that it could have been.  I thought it was strange that she didn't say anything as she walked in.  I was confused by the fact that she hadn't knocked, so I just waited for her to acknowledge me.  The figure eventually stopped at the edge of my bed and turned to face me.   As it looked at me, and I realized I couldn't make out any real details, despite the fact that it was now in front of my Universal Monsters poster, I was taken aback.  I called out to it.  I said, "Mother?"  At that point, the particles that made up the figure dissipated.  They literally dispersed and became part of the surrounding atmosphere.  I was not disturbed nor was I really scared.  Rather, I was confused.  I hopped out of bed and found my mother in the other room.  I asked her if she had been in my room.  She said ''no.''  It was at that point I explained to her, very rationally, that I had just seen a "ghost."  I wasn't really shaken by the experience until later in the day, when I fully realized the implications. 

Afterwards, I couldn't sleep.  For nearly three weeks, I had to keep all of the lights on.  I eventually got to the point where a couple of nightlights would do the trick, but I have never again allowed myself to sleep in total - or near total - darkness for fear the conditions would be right for me to see it again.  To this day, it still freaks me out.

very creepy...and I have had similar experiences as well, and my mother has had them too.
to this day, I still sleep with a night light on....I cant sleep in the darkness...I am not afraid of the dark, but that which lies within it.

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
The other question that should be asked is what kind of a ghost are we talking about?  There's a possibility that "the Ghost" is a glimpse of what has been.  Someone reported a vision of a ghost walking up a staircase in a house where the floors had been divided into separate residential units.  So what may be seen is not a thinking entity, but a glimpse of what has been.  Sort of like a psychic recording. I have personally experienced what I perceived to be "ghost cats".  I have sensed a cat running past me, and it turned out there was no cat.
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

ridulus

• New Recruit
Do You Believe in Ghosts?
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
In a word?  No.