Monstrous Marquees

Started by Monsters For Sale, September 18, 2012, 10:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 09, 2020, 06:30:09 AM
Oh! Does it feature that song? 

Yes.  It plays over the opening credits.

(I looked it up on YouTube.  They have the whole movie in 3 segments.  I only watched the first few minutes.)
ADAM

marsattacks666

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on October 09, 2020, 04:02:43 PM
Yes.  It plays over the opening credits.

(I looked it up on YouTube.  They have the whole movie in 3 segments.  I only watched the first few minutes.)

Wow! I never knew that before. The song was only credited to one movie.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: marsattacks666 on October 09, 2020, 08:56:25 PM
Wow! I never knew that before. The song was only credited to one movie.

I went back and checked.  They repeated it at the end, too.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Memphremagog posted this photo in another thread.  I think it deserves a mention here, too.  (Click on picture for larger image.)

Mummy's Tomb, The and Night Monster - Loew Poli Bijou - New Haven, Connecticut - August, 1943

Both these films were released in October of 1942.  Ten months later they are still playing in New Haven.

Flags are on display in front of the theater.  Looks to me like a sailor in dress whites (or a milkman) in the background.  The war is raging overseas.  Maybe he is a recruiter?

There is a big foot and arm peeking from behind the coffin.  The long late afternoon shadows suggest he is hiding between the coffin and its stand.  Camera shy - or bracing the coffin for the photographer?

Their is another marquee across the street, but I can't make out the words - dang.

These old photos are such tantalizing windows into the past.  They never show quite enough to satisfy my curiosity.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Star Wars - Esquire - Chicago, Illinois - May 31, 1977
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

20,000,000 Miles To Earth and 27th Day, The - Center - Anaconda, Montana - 1957 - A

20,000,000 Miles To Earth and 27th Day, The - Center - Anaconda, Montana - 1957 - B

It was a great time to be a monsterkid.  Sci-Fi practically every Saturday for the kiddie matinee.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Abbot and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff and Rope of Sand - Temple - Temple City, California - 1949

Rope of Sand is a film noir set in a South African diamond mine.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The - A.B.C. Theatre - Lower Clapton Road, London - 1953 - Rolling Promotion

I really love gaudy, float-like rolling promotions like this one!  Having gone all out like this for an advertisement, the patrons must have been very let down by the actual movie.

Here is a shot of the A.B.C. Theatre:

Unknown year for this photo.  Must have been before the 1950's.  The place looks a little staid for such carryings-on.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

Andy Warhol's Dracula and It's Alive - Pix - Los Angeles, California - 1974
ADAM

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on May 24, 2021, 01:49:18 AM
Having gone all out like this for an advertisement, the patrons must have been very let down by the actual movie.

I doubt it, since it was a big hit!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike Scott

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on May 24, 2021, 12:14:56 AM

20,000,000 Miles To Earth and 27th Day, The

Great dbl feature!  :)
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Jim Bertges

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on May 24, 2021, 02:30:31 AM

Andy Warhol's Dracula and It's Alive - Pix - Los Angeles, California - 1974

Not just Los Angeles, but Hollywood, right on Hollywood Bl. Note the "Walk of Fame" along the sidewalk. I'm sure you knew that, buy I felt I had to point it out to readers not familiar with the area.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Monsters For Sale

Quote from: Jim Bertges on May 24, 2021, 06:19:20 PM
Not just Los Angeles, but Hollywood, right on Hollywood Bl. Note the "Walk of Fame" along the sidewalk. I'm sure you knew that, buy I felt I had to point it out to readers not familiar with the area.

Indeed.

That theatre has gone through MANY name changes over the years.  It is now called the Fonda Theatre (for Henry Fonda) and they list their address as Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles 90028.   The Zip code 90028 is also used for Hollywood - go figure.

Fun fact:

The small Pix theatre would premier "Jaws" just one year later in 1975.
ADAM

Hepcat

Quote from: Monsters For Sale on May 23, 2021, 04:12:52 PMThese old photos are such tantalizing windows into the past.  They never show quite enough to satisfy my curiosity.

I really like them too and not just for the theatres and movies. I find the other businesses, cars and clothing fascinating as well.

:)
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monsters For Sale

Return of the Vampire - Rialto - Times Square, New York City - 1943

Return of the Vampire opened in November, 1943.  One of the signs here mentions this is the "First New York Showing".

But some of the War Bond promotional signs mention the "4th".  Assuming the are referring to July 4th, could this picture have been taken in 1944?  Either way, WWII was on everyone's minds - even when escaping to the movies.
ADAM