What have you been listening to?

Started by Allhallowsday, August 25, 2012, 04:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mord

Quote from: geezer butler on October 06, 2019, 08:25:08 PM
I read a glowing review online and decided to try the record out for myself. I actually didn't think it was that bad. I mean no doubt this record  is way chill. This is not an avant garde rock n roll record at all. But I'm a big fan of Nick Cave's movie scores,  and I hear a lot of that vibe here. But it's a fair point to argue he should keep those projects in their own lanes.
Geezer, you are absolutely right. I listened to the premiere on my phone, missing all the subtlety of the wonderful layers of sound. It is very much like his film scores (which are brilliant). The 14 minute epic, "Hollywood" is particularly effective. Lyrics are incredible, as usual. It may turn out to be my favorite album of the year. Oh, well, so much for rash judgements. And, yes, the reviews are incredibly positive, many giving it a 100% rating. Thanks for setting me straight.

geezer butler

Quote from: Mord on October 06, 2019, 09:05:13 PM
  Geezer, you are absolutely right. I listened to the premiere on my phone, missing all the subtlety of the wonderful layers of sound. It is very much like his film scores (which are brilliant). The 14 minute epic, "Hollywood" is particularly effective. Lyrics are incredible, as usual. It may turn out to be my favorite album of the year. Oh, well, so much for rash judgements. And, yes, the reviews are incredibly positive, many giving it a 100% rating. Thanks for setting me straight.

Yeah I listened to some of it again today and I kinda dig it. That's happened to me before where I have to listen to a record a few times before it grows on me. And I've had that happen in the opposite direction too. I've listened to a record for the first time and was blown away. But then on the third or fourth listen I'm like "wait a minute? I'm not sure if this is as good I originally thought," lol.

marsattacks666

Foghat-Fool For The City-1975
Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak-1976
The Mentors-You Axed For It!-1985
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

marsattacks666

Motley Crue-Shout At the Devil-1983
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

geezer butler

Quote from: marsattacks666 on October 08, 2019, 07:01:35 PM
Motley Crue-Shout At the Devil-1983

Love that record  >:D. "Too fast . . ." great record too.

geezer butler

Sepultura: Chaos AD (1993)

That record is so GD good \m/

Mord

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Hepcat

Collecting! It's what I do!

Mord

The Rolling Stones - Through the Past, Darkly
This was the second hits compilation by the lads, and my very first Stones album (I was 12, at the time). Undeniable greatness.

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on October 10, 2019, 08:53:16 PM
I've been listening to LOW BUDGET and MISFITS, myself.

The Kinks have always been my Beatles, and I will always love their music.

Mord

The Who - Who's Next

This is one of my favorite "arena rock" albums. No one here ever mentions them. Any Who fans out there?

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on October 12, 2019, 02:39:47 AM
Any Who fans out there?

Hugh fan! One of the big 4 (The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks and The Who) British Invasion groups. Got all of their albums and singles only tracks!
CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

marsattacks666