What have you been listening to?

Started by Allhallowsday, August 25, 2012, 04:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

CREATURE FAN
[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img840/6826/nimj.jpg[/img]
Visit My Monster Magazines Website

geezer butler

LOL, sorry Mike! I have to agree with Mord though. "Pretentious" is a good way to describe Zep IV. I just never connected with that record---musically, lyrically, or aesthetically.

One of my favorite quotes, but I can't remember if it was Joe Strummer or Paul Simonon, but regarding Zep IV he said "When it came out I went up to the store to get a copy, but when I saw the album cover it made me want to puke."

So punk rock   :D

I have to admit though that I really like In Through the Out Door. I don't think it's a pretentious record but definitely a departure from the early rockers.

marsattacks666

In Through the Out Door-1979. This Led Zeppelin album is probably my favorite Led Zeppelin studio album. Followed by Led Zeppelin IV, III and Houses of the Holy.

In Through, was my first Led Zeppelin album I ever purchased and the only one I had before buying others in 1979. I heard plenty of Zeppelin's music on FM and AM radio in the 70s, just never really had no interest in pursuing their albums. Until hearing, In Through the Out Door at a friends house. That sealed it. I was hooked and I wanted to hear more Zeppelin on a regular basis.

In Through the Out Door may not be Zepp's greatest achievement as a studio album. However it is in fact an incredible LP, and that is a subjective opinion of all Zeppelin's albums.

Also, I wanted to add. John Bonham is an an influence towards me becoming a drummer. Although Bonham died in 1979, he( Bonham) is still viable in the Drum community. Bonham's drum work on In Through is so bad a**, I cannot even begin how to articulate.

Carouselambra, South Bound Saurez, I'm Going to Crawl, In the Evening,  Fool in the Rain and Hot Dog are probably my six favorite tracks of the LP.  Carouselambra, wow! There is something about that song that words cannot describe.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mike Scott

Wow! It's could almost be a "Greatest Hits" album!!

"Black Dog"

"Rock and Roll"

"The Battle of Evermore"

"Stairway to Heaven"

"Misty Mountain Hop"

"Four Sticks"

"Going to California"

"When the Levee Breaks"
CREATURE FAN

Mord

And here lies the problem for me. I'm more into the "deep cuts" than the hits. The songs that aren't played a million times on the radio, are usually the more interesting and innovative ones. My girlfriend was a huge Beatles fan. We bought that comprehensive hits CD that came out a few years ago. After the first few songs, it became really tiresome. We haven't played it since. On the other hand, I played their "White Album" the other day. It sounded fresh and contemporary. No hits, just great songs.

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on November 22, 2019, 07:32:41 PM
On the other hand, I played their "White Album" the other day. It sounded fresh and contemporary. No hits, just great songs.

No hits? What about "Why Don't We Do It In The Road"?
CREATURE FAN

Mord

Quote from: Mike Scott on November 22, 2019, 08:55:08 PM
No hits? What about "Why Don't We Do It In The Road"?
That's right! Not to mention "Revolution # 9".

Mike Scott

Quote from: Mord on November 22, 2019, 08:57:55 PM
That's right! Not to mention "Revolution # 9".

"Hold that line, hold that line"

"Block that kick, block that kick"
CREATURE FAN

Mord

Ray Davies - Other People's Lives (2006)

Great, great solo album by Ray Davies. Better than most later Kinks l.p.s.

Mord

Ray Davies - Thanksgiving Day E.P. (2005)

There are rock songs for almost any holiday. To my knowledge, this is the only one about Turkey Day. Great songs, as well.

geezer butler

Quote from: marsattacks666 on November 22, 2019, 06:14:30 PM
In Through the Out Door-1979. This Led Zeppelin album is probably my favorite Led Zeppelin studio album. Followed by Led Zeppelin IV, III and Houses of the Holy.

In Through, was my first Led Zeppelin album I ever purchased and the only one I had before buying others in 1979. I heard plenty of Zeppelin's music on FM and AM radio in the 70s, just never really had no interest in pursuing their albums. Until hearing, In Through the Out Door at a friends house. That sealed it. I was hooked and I wanted to hear more Zeppelin on a regular basis.

In Through the Out Door may not be Zepp's greatest achievement as a studio album. However it is in fact an incredible LP, and that is a subjective opinion of all Zeppelin's albums.

Also, I wanted to add. John Bonham is an an influence towards me becoming a drummer. Although Bonham died in 1979, he( Bonham) is still viable in the Drum community. Bonham's drum work on In Through is so bad a**, I cannot even begin how to articulate.

Carouselambra, South Bound Saurez, I'm Going to Crawl, In the Evening,  Fool in the Rain and Hot Dog are probably my six favorite tracks of the LP.  Carouselambra, wow! There is something about that song that words cannot describe.

I'm glad you pointed out the drumming on that record. Bonzo is my favorite hard rock drummer. I can't remember who produced "In Through the Out Door," but I love how the drums sound in the mix. Bonzo's drumming on Fool in the Rain never sounded better imo.

marsattacks666

Quote from: geezer butler on November 24, 2019, 08:54:02 AM
I'm glad you pointed out the drumming on that record. Bonzo is my favorite hard rock drummer. I can't remember who produced "In Through the Out Door," but I love how the drums sound in the mix. Bonzo's drumming on Fool in the Rain never sounded better imo.

I want to say Jimmy Page produced In Through the Out Door. Bonham's drumming on that album is awesome.
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Mord

Gang of 4 - Entertainment (1979)

I keep going back to this one. Perfect album, imo.

marsattacks666

Quote from: Mord on November 25, 2019, 08:39:11 PM
Gang of 4 - Entertainment (1979)

I keep going back to this one. Perfect album, imo.

Darn fine album.

geezer butler