Incredible melting Man Costume

Started by horror1o1, August 20, 2012, 03:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horror1o1

Quote from: Count_Zirock on August 21, 2012, 02:05:04 AM
I believe "The Incredible Melting Man" craze was over within two days of its release! I think it lasted just one week at that Patterson theater-- not that I was looking to go see it again, mind you.No, "The Deep" was PG, though just barely. They were really trying to push TIMM as the first modern horror movie icon, but the R rating and limited release in grindhouses and drive-ins meant not too many kids actually saw it. With "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" waiting in the wings, we didn't have to wait too long for the first true modern horror icons.

I'm not sure if we took pics or not but one year my dad was IMM for halloween. He used one of those Face make up kits with the skull and basicly covered his face in silly puddy and melted it with a hair dryer. Looked great from what i remember. i was thinking we had pictures but if we do i haven't seen them since the 80's.
It's all about the Horror.

Radioactive Rod Whitenack

I believe Raymond Castile owns the Incredible Melting Man Collegeville costume. It turned up a couple of years in the UMA display at Wonderfest in Louisville, KY. So I know someone here has pictures of it. If Raymond sees this thread, I'm sure he'll post a pic or two. The first time I saw it, I almost lost my mind, but I was convinced it was a fantasy piece of merchandise made by a talented fan. Ray actually showed me the box with the Collegeville logo and copyrights. It's extremely cool.

Horror Sanctum

Quote from: knewby on August 20, 2012, 04:57:46 PM
That Melting Man makeup kit by Imagineering is crazy rare. The only one I've ever seen was a few years ago on ebay and it was sealed and went for several hundred bucks.....larry

I had one of those. It was just red and green blood, morticians wax and cotton. I think a small bottle of latex too.
Sam McCain
HORROR SANCTUM STUDIOS
http://www.horrorsanctum.com

Monster Bob

It came in a large, swell box, though.

raycastile

I'd love to have the Imagineering Incredible Melting Man kit. I figured it was probably a bag of cotton balls and some tubes of goop, but I always wondered if it might be more like The Face kits, with foam rubber appliances. It's interesting to know what was really inside that box! Someday I will have one.

In the meantime, I have a couple other cool Incredible Melting Man items.

Here is the Collegeville costume. This picture was taken at Mask-Fest 2010. I think it was the second time we'd had it in the UMA display, but this was the first picture I found.

This is the Topstone rubber mask.

Note that Topstone made another "melting man" mask in the 1950s, but that has no connection to the 70s movie monster. I think some people get them confused when talking about Topstone masks.

Raymond Castile

horror1o1

Quote from: raycastile on August 21, 2012, 04:45:18 AM
I'd love to have the Imagineering Incredible Melting Man kit. I figured it was probably a bag of cotton balls and some tubes of goop, but I always wondered if it might be more like The Face kits, with foam rubber appliances. It's interesting to know what was really inside that box! Someday I will have one.

In the meantime, I have a couple other cool Incredible Melting Man items.

Here is the Collegeville costume. This picture was taken at Mask-Fest 2010. I think it was the second time we'd had it in the UMA display, but this was the first picture I found.

very cool. Do you have any picks of the costume piece it self? wasn't the other topstone mask "The Horrible Melting Man?" lol!

This is the Topstone rubber mask.

Note that Topstone made another "melting man" mask in the 1950s, but that has no connection to the 70s movie monster. I think some people get them confused when talking about Topstone masks.
It's all about the Horror.

Monster Bob

...and we still chant the line (which I will now misquote I'm sure)..."You haven't seen anything, until you've seen the Sun through the rings of Saturn..." 

And then laugh like hell.

Horror Sanctum

Quote from: Monster Bob on August 21, 2012, 03:41:19 AM
It came in a large, swell box, though.

Actually the box was the best part!
Sam McCain
HORROR SANCTUM STUDIOS

Horror Sanctum

A Bit of trivia for you.

I actually had the license to produce the Incredible Melting Man back in 1981. That was before Topstone.
I wanted to make the version similar to the Topstone but my partner made me make the extreme melted version.
Here's the only surviving copy.

Sam McCain
HORROR SANCTUM STUDIOS

Scatter

LOVED the movie.........it's the cheeziest!! I don't remember the costume at all though. Great to see!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

raycastile

Quote from: Horror Sanctum on August 22, 2012, 04:52:23 PM
A Bit of trivia for you.

I actually had the license to produce the Incredible Melting Man back in 1981. That was before Topstone.
I wanted to make the version similar to the Topstone but my partner made me make the extreme melted version.
Here's the only surviving copy.

Was that ever sold in stores or through mail order?
Raymond Castile

Horror Sanctum

No Ray,
Shortly after I finished this I parted ways with THS productions and shelved all of the molds. Then he sold the rights to Topstone.

I even did a Baker King Kong that was cast from the foam latex head.
Both of those were not released to the public although I know Savini bought a Kong. Pretty sure that David Lady had the other copies back then. That was pretty much it.
Sam McCain
HORROR SANCTUM STUDIOS

Sean

bobprice

HI everyone!

I know the last post on this was 7 years ago but here we go.

I found an Original, in box (box has seen better days) IMM Collegeville costume by Quartet.

I'm trying to sell this because I'm on the verge of financial ruin and need the money. I have no idea what its worth, all i know is that the piece is incredibly rare. Feel free to contact me for more information.

ilikemonsters

Sooper Cool!
Put it in the for sale section.