"Take me to your Leader!" - Unofficial Sci-Fi collectibles thread

Started by jimm, August 11, 2012, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepcat

A U.S. variant of the Space Orbit coin set was also issued with Gordon's Potato Chips and Krun-Chee Corn Chips. To avoid offending delicate American sensibilities, the coins of Commie Soviets Yuri Gagarin, Gherman Titov and Nikita Khrushchev were replaced with coins bearing less threatening images. Here is a scan of a sheet of my Gordon's ones:

As you can see, John Kennedy was deemed a suitable image albeit Khrushchev was not. Here's a scan of a sheet of my Krun-Chee Corn Chip coins:

;) 
Collecting! It's what I do!

Monolith

Quote from: bigbud on September 01, 2012, 04:13:56 AM
Mono...is the little green guy totin' a ray gun rifle?

Yes, he is.

Hepcat, nice coins.

Here's the card to a Bagatelle Flash gordon game that I've had since i was a kid. It's all of it that I have left. I never attached it to the game for some reason.

Hepcat

Great graphics! Was that Flash Gordon bagatelle like so many ohers made by Marx?

???

Scatter

Quote from: jimm on September 01, 2012, 02:14:46 PM
I recall the Pez display in Grants as a kid, early 70s. Had to have been a whole endcap or 4 ft section, right next to the chocolate cigarettes, LOL

Man, I can still see the Grants in downtown Waterbury like it was yesterday.........especially the basement toy dept.!!
We're all here because we're not all there.
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/index.html

jimm

Yep, here you'd walk past the GIANT aquarium fish section (and probably Creature Penn Plax) to get to the toys. Funny how Grants and K-Mart in same center both had diners attatched.

Scatter

Quote from: jimm on September 03, 2012, 04:04:08 AM
Yep, here you'd walk past the GIANT aquarium fish section (and probably Creature Penn Plax) to get to the toys. Funny how Grants and K-Mart in same center both had diners attatched.

As did F.W. Woolworths, which I think had the best luncheonette of them all. MAN they could cook a burger!! BTW Jimm..........where's "here"?

Monolith

Quote from: Hepcat on September 03, 2012, 03:07:29 AM
Great graphics! Was that Flash Gordon bagatelle like so many ohers made by Marx?

???

I don't remember who made it and  the card I have doesn't have any toy company name on it.

I also have this Flash Gordon pistol. And I have some Flash Gordon candy boxes, I just have to find the photo.

Street Worm

This looks like your target game, Monolith

listed as: "Flash Gordon Bagatelle Target Game" ©1976 Nasta Ind. Inc.

Hepcat

Quote from: Scatter on September 03, 2012, 04:55:24 AM
As did F.W. Woolworths, which I think had the best luncheonette of them all. MAN they could cook a burger!!

For me it's a tossup between the ones at Kresge and Woolworth. One of each faced each other on Dundas Street in downtown London up until sometime in the early 1990's. A Metropolitan a very few doors to the west of the Kresge store and a Zeller's just across Richmond Street to the east  completed the picture. My mother used to haunt these five-and-dimes and I would typically be in tow.  I always hoped that my mother would treat me to a bowl of ice cream or something at those lunch counters after a long afternoon of being dragged about long aisles.

My introduction to such toy classics as Great Garloo and the Aurora monster model kits also occurred as Kresge. I really miss those stores and their lunch counters. You never know what you've got till it's gone.

:(

jimm

Quote from: Scatter on September 03, 2012, 04:55:24 AM
As did F.W. Woolworths, which I think had the best luncheonette of them all. MAN they could cook a burger!! BTW Jimm..........where's "here"?
We are located about 50 miles north of San Francisco

Monolith

Quote from: Street Worm on September 03, 2012, 12:46:53 PM

Yes! That's the one. Wish I had the rest of it, I don't know what happened to it. Thanks for the pic.

Scatter

Quote from: jimm on September 03, 2012, 03:45:58 PM
We are located about 50 miles north of San Francisco

Paradise!! Bigfoot Country (nearly about)!!  ;D

jimm

Temperature generally ranges from about 60-80 year round. I'm staying :)

Scatter

BigShadow

Quote from: Street Worm on September 03, 2012, 12:46:53 PM

That is one kool looking game!
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...

House of the Unusual Podcast