Author Topic: The Outer Limits  (Read 12447 times)

Jethro

• Corporal
Re: The Outer Limits
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2016, 09:11:13 AM »
"The Man who was never Born" and "The Soldier" were in my opinion ripped off in "Terminator 2".
I liked the Man who was never Born but always thought it was a little far fetched that the space ship just happened to land in the town where Bertram Cabot Jr. lived (or was going to live) so that Andro could kill him.

Mike Scott

• d
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
. . "The Soldier" . . in my opinion ripped off in "Terminator 2".

In Harlan Ellison's opinion, too (the 1st Terminator, that is), which is why he sued.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Jethro

• Corporal
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
Didn't know they sued.  And I should have said the first Terminator.  I always forget they made that one due to the quality difference between the first and second.

Robert W

• Corporal
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
In Harlan Ellison's opinion, too (the 1st Terminator, that is), which is why he sued.

And which why all new versions of The Terminator now must include an "acknowledgement" to the works of Harlan Ellison.

bigbud

• Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:01 AM »
[quotewhile Harlan Ellison's "Demon with a Glass Hand" is more appropriate for the Outer Limits collection.
][/quote]

Hey...this is a long silent topic! Couple of weeks ago I watched Demon with a Glass Hand (for the first time).....gotta say I really enjoyed it! Always liked Robert Culp, and the building he was constantly running up-and-down floors in struck me as special....it was.....also used in Blade Runner. And then there was Ellison having written the story...which always makes things special.....

Mike Scott

• d
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 01:23:30 AM »
Always liked Robert Culp, and the building he was constantly running up-and-down floors in struck me as special....it was.....also used in Blade Runner.

And, supposedly, designed by Forrest Ackerman's maternal grandfather.
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
[quotewhile Harlan Ellison's "Demon with a Glass Hand" is more appropriate for the Outer Limits collection.
]

Hey...this is a long silent topic! Couple of weeks ago I watched Demon with a Glass Hand (for the first time).....gotta say I really enjoyed it! Always liked Robert Culp, and the building he was constantly running up-and-down floors in struck me as special....it was.....also used in Blade Runner. And then there was Ellison having written the story...which always makes things special.....

That building was also used prior to OUTER LIMITS in Lon Chaney's INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN(1956) and then after Blade Runner as Jack Nicholson's publishing firm in WOLF(1994)..
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
That building was also used prior to OUTER LIMITS in Lon Chaney's INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN(1956) and then after Blade Runner as Jack Nicholson's publishing firm in WOLF(1994)..

I liked Nicholson's "Wolf".  I thought it deserved more appreciation than it got.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
I posted this over at the New BLU-Rays thread, but it deserves to be mentioned here, too:

Season One scheduled release has been announced for March 27, 2018.

https://tinyurl.com/y84bvrjj

It will be on 8 discs and retail priced at $99.99.   For that much it should have had a ton of extras.  (I'm sure the price will drop a lot between now and March.)

Amazon just added details  (they say it will be 7 discs):

Special Features:
-Audio commentaries by David J. Schow (author of The Outer Limits Companion) and film historians Tim Lucas, Reba Wissner, Craig Beam, Gary Gerani, Michael Hyatt and Steve Mitchell
-THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR TELEVISION SET 40 Page Booklet Essay by David J. Schow

https://tinyurl.com/yaawx33t
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:44:04 AM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Dr Wolfenstein

• Sergeant
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time!
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
 Found this on the Lino Lorber Facebook site

Coming March 27th!
Brand New HD Masters!

The Outer Limits (Complete Season 1 - 32 Episodes) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentaries by DAVID J. SCHOW (The Outer Limits Companion), TIM LUCAS (Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark; Video Watchblog), CRAIG BEAM (My Life in the Glow of the Outer Limits), Dr REBA WISSNER (We Will Control All That You Hear: The Outer Limits & the Aural Imagination), GARY GERANI (Fantastic Television), MICHAEL HYATT (film historian), and STEVE MITCHELL (King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmmaker Larry Cohen)
• 40 Pages Booklet - Featuring an Essay by David J. Schow and episode guide

24 Audio Commentaries
THE GALAXY BEING - Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
THE HUNDRED DAYS OF THE DRAGON - Audio Commentary by Film Historian Reba Wissner
THE ARCHITECTS OF FEAR – Audio Commentary by Film Historian Gary Gerani
THE SIXTH FINGER — Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Gary Gerani
O.B.I.T — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Craig Beam
CORPUS EARTHLING — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Craig Beam
NIGHTMARE — Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
THE ZANTI MISFITS — Track 1: Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
THE ZANTI MISFITS — Track 2: Audio Commentary by Film Historian Gary Gerani & Steve Mitchell
THE MICE — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Reba Wissner
CONTROLLED EXPERIMENT — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Reba Wissner
DON’T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Reba Wissner
ZZZZZ — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
THE INVISIBLES — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
THE BELLERO SHIELD - Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
SPECIMEN UNKNOWN — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Craig Beam
THE MUTANT — Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
THE GUESTS - Audio Commentary by Film Historians Craig Beam and David J. Schow
FUN AND GAMES — Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
THE SPECIAL ONE – Audio Commentary by Film Historians Gary Cerani and Michael Hyatt
A FEASIBILITY STUDY - Audio Commentary by Film Historian David J. Schow
PRODUCTION AND DECAY OF STRANGE PARTICLES — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
THE FORMS OF THINGS UNKNOWN — Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas

8 DVD Boxed Set
7 Blu-ray Boxed Set

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »
Watching my Outer Limits Season One Blu-Ray discs.  Like them a lot.

Note:

If you already have the old double-sided DVD discs, hang on to the little booklets that were inside the two season sets.

The new Blu-Rays have a booklet that lists the episodes, but give only the titles, directors, writers, cast and commentary deliverer.

The old DVD's have a booklet that lists the episodes and give all that (minus commentary info) and a nice plot summary for each.  For my part, I like having a story synopses to refresh my memory.  You might want to keep yours, too.

I will be transferring my new Blu-Ray discs into a 10 or 12 disc DVD case when I get Season 2.  That will eliminate the stoopid fold-out cardboard holders that require discs be overlapping - and save a lot of shelf space in the process.  Also, the new booklet is too large to fit inside the plastic DVD case, but the older booklets that I prefer will fit nicely inside.

My complete Series on Blu-Ray will be in a single case that takes up less space than the first season cardboard holder alone.

ADAM

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
  • "Rrrraaaarrr!!"
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
I've only had a chance to watch 3 episodes so far, but they look and sound fantastic. A great restoration of my favorite series.
Paul

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

Outer Limits - Season TWO - Blu-Ray - Kino Lorber - November 13, 2018
ADAM

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
  • "Rrrraaaarrr!!"
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
I'm in.  Heard rumors it may include extras.
Paul