Author Topic: Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched  (Read 1058164 times)

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
Re: Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched
« Reply #18390 on: December 01, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »

Abominable Snowman, The, 1957 - Bring-Ďem- back-alive adventurer surreptitiously wangles his way into a scientific expedition to find the title critter -  if it exists.

Peter Cushing and Forrest Tucker.

The two leaders of the expedition working at cross-purposes reminds me of the dynamic in Creature From the Black Lagoon.

This is the just-released Scream Factory BLU-Ray edition.  The producers  have a disclaimer at the beginning about not having a complete Hi-Def print, and having to use bits of lower quality film to produce this BLU-Ray.  I donít know why they bothered - it doesnít show at all.  Very pretty film.

Hard to believe a 1957 movie with this subject matter can look so good.  The cinematography is beautiful and the editing blends second unit and stock footage with the actors damn near seamlessly.

The acting is low key and never amateurish - nice for something that was advertised as just another monster movie here in the States.  The actors enunciate clearly and the sound is free of hiss and rumble.

The story is quite good and doesnít go overboard by having the group carrying bazookas, hand grenades and flame throwers on their trek.  It might even be a bit understated for some fans, since the Yeti is so little seen.

I donít know how it happened, but this is one that slipped by me all these years.  It is so much fun to finally  get to experience a 1950's film that I have never seen before.

It is an especial treat when it is this good.

Thanks, Scream Factory.
ADAM

Mike Scott

• Army General
  • So terrifying only screams can describe it!
    • Monster Magazines
« Reply #18391 on: December 01, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »
The story is quite good . . .

Which should not come as a shock when it is written by Quatermass scribe Nigel Kneale.  :)
CREATURE FAN

Visit My Monster Magazines Website

Mike...In 3-D!

• Sergeant
« Reply #18392 on: December 02, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
Sorority House Massacre (1986)
Into the Dark: The Body (2018)
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #18393 on: December 02, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
The Green Slime(1968)
Terrified(1963)
Iron Man(2008)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #18394 on: December 02, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »

Testament, 1983 - In a residential community outside San Francisco, there is the normal hustle and bustle of domestic life.  The kids' morning cartoons are interrupted by a short alert on the TV - followed by a blinding flash and silence.  No more TV, radio, ringing phones.  They are cut off from the outside world.  This is the story of the months that follow.

Jane Alexander, William DeVane, Lukas Haas, Roxana Zal, Leon Ames, Lurene Tuttle, Mako, Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay.

A movie that concentrates on the hopeless "survivors" of an initial nuclear attack.  Their undamaged community is left cutoff from whatever is left of the outside world.  Aside from info gathered by a HAM radio operator, what they know is what they can see and feel for themselves.  No one knows who started it or why.  No one is declared the victor.

Food and medicine runs short, batteries become precious things and the cemetery is being filled by parents burying their children.

Glum story, to be sure.  But you gotta be impressed by the quiet dignity of the main character as portrayed by Jane Alexander.

Word of mouth must have been good.  The following year, "Testament" opened all over the world.  Recommended.
ADAM

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #18395 on: December 02, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
Testament, 1983 - In a residential community outside San Francisco, there is the normal hustle and bustle of domestic life.  The kids' morning cartoons are interrupted by a short alert on the TV - followed by a blinding flash and silence.  No more TV, radio, ringing phones.  They are cut off from the outside world.  This is the story of the months that follow.

Jane Alexander, William DeVane, Lukas Haas, Roxana Zal, Leon Ames, Lurene Tuttle, Mako, Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay.

A movie that concentrates on the hopeless "survivors" of an initial nuclear attack.  Their undamaged community is left cutoff from whatever is left of the outside world.  Aside from info gathered by a HAM radio operator, what they know is what they can see and feel for themselves.  No one knows who started it or why.  No one is declared the victor.

Food and medicine runs short, batteries become precious things and the cemetery is being filled by parents burying their children.

Glum story, to be sure.  But you gotta be impressed by the quiet dignity of the main character as portrayed by Jane Alexander.

Word of mouth must have been good.  The following year, "Testament" opened all over the world.  Recommended.

Saw it in the theater,. This one made a strong impression on me. It has so much more impact than all of the fx laden apocalyptic films that make the rounds. This actually makes you think (and feel). Recommended indeed.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #18396 on: December 02, 2019, 03:27:26 PM »
 Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) -
 Tepid, PG-13 horror fare from Guillermo Del Toro. Not that horrible, not that good...just so so. I did like the lead girl's room decor (classic horror posters, lobby cards, monster mags, Aurora Creature kit, etc.).

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #18397 on: December 02, 2019, 04:21:42 PM »
An American Werewolf in London-1981( ARROW VIDEO-2019)
The Howling-1981(Shout/Scream Factory)
The Wolfman-2010
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Flower

• Sergeant
« Reply #18398 on: December 02, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
The Santa Clause ...  1994
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" ...  Albert Schweitzer

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #18399 on: December 02, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Saw it in the theater,. This one made a strong impression on me. It has so much more impact than all of the fx laden apocalyptic films that make the rounds. This actually makes you think (and feel). Recommended indeed.

Yeah we watched that in a film class I had as an undergrad. The movie f*^$#d me up.

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #18400 on: December 02, 2019, 10:03:19 PM »
Abominable Snowman, The, 1957 - Bring-Ďem- back-alive adventurer surreptitiously wangles his way into a scientific expedition to find the title critter -  if it exists.

Peter Cushing and Forrest Tucker.

The two leaders of the expedition working at cross-purposes reminds me of the dynamic in Creature From the Black Lagoon.

This is the just-released Scream Factory BLU-Ray edition.  The producers  have a disclaimer at the beginning about not having a complete Hi-Def print, and having to use bits of lower quality film to produce this BLU-Ray.  I donít know why they bothered - it doesnít show at all.  Very pretty film.

Hard to believe a 1957 movie with this subject matter can look so good.  The cinematography is beautiful and the editing blends second unit and stock footage with the actors damn near seamlessly.

The acting is low key and never amateurish - nice for something that was advertised as just another monster movie here in the States.  The actors enunciate clearly and the sound is free of hiss and rumble.

The story is quite good and doesnít go overboard by having the group carrying bazookas, hand grenades and flame throwers on their trek.  It might even be a bit understated for some fans, since the Yeti is so little seen.

I donít know how it happened, but this is one that slipped by me all these years.  It is so much fun to finally  get to experience a 1950's film that I have never seen before.

It is an especial treat when it is this good.

Thanks, Scream Factory.

I agree MFS. I recently watched this for the first time. I really enjoyed it.

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #18401 on: December 03, 2019, 04:52:10 AM »
Murder In the Blue Room(1944)
Incredible Hulk(2008)
The Awful Dr.Orloff(1962)
The Horrible Dr. Hichcock(1962)

Lazarus

• Sergeant
  • Monster Kid Forever
« Reply #18402 on: December 03, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
The Black Hole (1979)

Did not know Anthony Perkins was in this.  Pretty good!  The ending is bizarre and kind of rad.

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #18403 on: December 04, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »
 Ready or Not (2019) -
 I was not completely in love with this, when I saw it in the theater. I just bought the bluray and absolutely love it. A young bride marries into a family who made their fortune in the board game industry. She must play a deadly game of hide and seek before she's accepted into the family. Harrowing, funny, bloody...its got everything a horror fan would like, PLUS the gorgeous Samara Weaving. Check it out.

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
« Reply #18404 on: December 05, 2019, 04:53:25 AM »
Corruption(1968)
Return Of Dr. X(1939)
Thor(2011)