Author Topic: Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched  (Read 857438 times)

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
  • "Rrrraaaarrr!!"
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
Re: Last Monster/Horror/Sci-Fi Movie/Show You Watched
« Reply #16425 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
PIRANHA (1978)
JURASSIC WORLD (2015)
SHE DEMONS (1958)
Paul

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #16426 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
The Walking Dead-season 4
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

horrorhunter

• Sergeant
  • Haunted Hulk...The Horror Of The Seven Seas
« Reply #16427 on: September 11, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
Scars Of Dracula (1970)  7.5/10

Good entry in the Hammer Dracula series, and underappreciated by many. I had always liked it and enjoy it more with successive viewings. The commentary on the Anchor Bay DVD is very good as well, having Christopher and director Roy Ward Baker make behind the scenes observations about working for Hammer through the years. It's nice to hear Christopher praise Michael Ripper whom he felt most personified Hammer, even more so than himself or Peter Cushing. He also mentions laughing at the antics of Bob Todd of Benny Hill fame who played the angry Burgomaster. The Anchor Bay DVD provides a very nice presentation.

The Many Faces Of Christopher Lee (1996)  8/10

Great documentary featuring Christopher showing clips of his various roles and giving his opinions and behind-the-scenes information about them. He also gives some personal background and shows some of his treasured items accumulated from a very accomplished life in film. This is on a bonus disc included in the Anchor Bay Scars Of Dracula DVD.
ALWAYS MONSTERING...

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #16428 on: September 11, 2018, 11:38:51 PM »
 I couldn't have put it any better. I just watched this recently and enjoyed it more than ever. Excellent commentary.

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #16429 on: September 12, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Midnight-1982
    "They come from the bowels of hell; a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth."

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #16430 on: September 12, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
Snowbeast, 1977 - A rogue bear or something is killing skiers and threatening the yearly tournament and livelihood of the ski lodge that the whole local economy depends on..  Authorities want to keep things quiet and the not shut down the lodge.  They secretly hire a retired ski champion to hunt it down and kill whatever it is.

Bo Svenson, Yvette Mimieux,  Clint Walker and Sylvia Sidney.  L-o-o-n-g boring scenes of skiing - not the Olympic or acrobatic kind, just the slowly getting from here to there kind.

Began life as a made-for-TV Movie, but also had theatrical release in other countries.  The original TV cut is 88 minutes long and the 1978 CBS Late Movie Re-run syndicated version is 72 minutes long.  Both versions are presented on the new 2018 all-region Retromedia Blu-Ray.  Even though it is old TV, it was restored from the original 35mm and is seen here in 1.66:1 format.  I'm sure it never looked this good on TV.  Informative Commentary, too.

Didn't take me long to realize I was watching "Jaws" on ice.  OK for what it was and when it was made.  Low budget really shows.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:42:31 PM by Monsters For Sale »
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #16431 on: September 12, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »

Abominable, 2006 - A paraplegic rock climber returns to his mountain cabin with a view of the rock formation where he recently lost his wife and the use of his legs.  Seriously traumatized and fragile, he is accompanied by a less than sympathetic male nurse.  He thinks he sees a large, unidentified creature outside in the dark.  Of course, no one believes him.

Matt CCoy, Haley Joel, Jeffrey Combs, Lance Henriksen, Dee Wallace Stone.

The director freely admits this is part "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet" and part "Rear Window".  It works very well.  The monster is seen too clearly and too often, but it still works.  Has two great death effects and a nice little punch at the very end.  The 2018 Blu-Ray is restored from the original 35mm camera negative and looks great.

I didn't remember the title on this one when I bought the Blu-Ray, but I recognized it a few minutes in and couldn't wait to see the bathroom window scene again.

ADAM

marsattacks666

• Sergeant
  • I'm almost.....Human.
« Reply #16432 on: September 12, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Midnight-1982 (again)
Invasion of the Blood Farmers-1972

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #16433 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:35 AM »
Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster(1964)
Kiss Of the Vampire(1963)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

geezer butler

• Sergeant
« Reply #16434 on: September 13, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
The Nun (2018)

*Really enjoyed this film. Big fan of the Conjuring verse in general. The Nun is pretty thin on plot, but great atmosphere. Total Goth, with cemeteries, religious iconography, gloomy skies etc. Has kind of an old school Hammer vibe.

Lunkenstein

• Sergeant
  • "Rrrraaaarrr!!"
    • Brain of Lunkenstein
« Reply #16435 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the word on THE NUN, Geezer. My daughter and I love THE CONJURING films too and also the related ANNABELLE series, so it's good to hear you liked it. We'll be sure to go now.
Paul

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #16436 on: September 13, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »

After Midnight, 1989 - A college professor explores the psychology of fear by inviting his students to his home and telling them three chilling tales.

The wrap-around story contains the trilogy "The Old Dark House", "A Night On the Town" and "All Night Messenger" - plus a revelation of its own.

I have a fondness for anthology movies like the old Amicus entries and the Creepshow films.  This one is an OK, if not outstanding, addition to those.
ADAM

Monsters For Sale

• Sergeant
  • Aged 10 - 1957
« Reply #16437 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:26 PM »

Twice Told Tales, 1963 - Anthology movie with three stories, all starring Vincent Price.

Cinematic adaptions of "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment", "Rappaccini's Daughter" and "The House of the Seven Gables".   If you aren't already familiar with the plots, you need to brush up on your Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Stars Vincent Price, Sebastian Cabot, Brett Halsey, Joyce Taylor and Beverly Garland.

Price's hammy acting perfectly suits these florid tales from the 1800's.  May not appeal to modern slasher/horror fans, but I like 'em.

ADAM

Memphremagog

• Sergeant
  • Strange days have found us...
« Reply #16438 on: September 14, 2018, 12:06:26 AM »
Castle Freak(1995)
The Hanging Woman(1973)
The difference between martyrdom & suicide is press coverage...

Mike...In 3-D!

• Corporal
« Reply #16439 on: September 14, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
Victor Crowley (2017)
Digging Up the Marrow (2014)
"Naughty, naughty! Don't touch, Butch knows best."