Author Topic: WB Monsters Toys  (Read 2499 times)

Wizard_Of_Ed

• Corporal
WB Monsters Toys
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:20:02 AM »
Anyone ever wonder why there has never been a WB Monster toys line like Universal? Check out how many Monster films they own (WB, MGM, RKO and others) to see what I mean. I bet there's a lot of classic characters there to be done in figure form....Fumanchu, Mark of the Vampire, The Time Machine, Wicked Witch of the West (who has been done outside of the Oz license)Charles Loughton Hunchback, Both the Marsh and Tracy Jekyll & Hyde's, House of Wax, Mystery of the Wax Museum,  the Val Lewton films, and others. It just makes you curious, doesn't it? Maybe Diamond could look into it as the follow up to the Universal line?

Count_Zirock

• Sergeant
  • My blood now flows through her veins!
Re: WB Monsters Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »
Other than just about ANYTHING from "The Wizard of Oz," I really don't see much of those as big sellers. The March "Mr. Hyde," sure. Other than that? Maybe Karloff's Fu Manchu, but I see that as a very limited market.
Universal re-released their horror films frequently in the '50s, and then had the "Shock Theater" syndication package on TV. People are just more familiar with them, through frequent viewings and, yes, merchandizing. WB just didn't do that. There was a "The Wolfman" movie novelization in 2010. There's nothing for "Dark Shadows" (2012) except the Tor Books line that follows the original series. There won't even be an "Art of the Film" book until November! Who's gonna care by then? (Not that anyone cares now, as much as that film stank!)
"That's either a very ugly woman or a very pretty monster." - Lou Costello

Wizard_Of_Ed

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
I think you could find enough anchor characters to fill out a line like this. The Universal Monsters line is geared to collectors and most of them would be familiar with House of Wax/Vincent Price and Peter Lorre or the Charles Loughton Hunchback. You could do the daughter from Mark of the Vampire too because she's a great Vampiress design.It was mentioned that London After Midnight is a WB owned film too. What about the Walter Houston Devil from the Devil & Daniel webster? (It was an RKO and I think WB owns the RKO library.) What about THe Thing? Does WB own that? The Time Machine is one of the coolest vehicles out there and no one has ever made a licensed toy of it. There's enough here to fill 9-12 slots of figures. WB owns a lot of properties.

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
This would be great.  But we have to be realistic.  If people don't know who Dr. Pretorius is (though I am fairly sure DST could get away with him simply for being a Mad Doctor) and we have not heard word yet on Dracula's Daughter, I think the chances of ever getting characters from these obscure  films (to the general public) is nil.  And while I think you could get away with these characters in a 3  3/4 inch line (as part of something larger), you probably wouldn't be able to pull off the 7-8 inchers.  And I'd much rather have the classic Universals as 3 3/4 inch figures first.  (This would also allow for those more obscure Universal characters, because of things like multipacks and play sets.) 

Wizard_Of_Ed

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »
I'm putting a list together to submit with my suggestion to Diamond Select. I will post it here for a few days and see what other WB owned characters people might want to add or subtract before I send in my suggestion.

I agree with you on Petorious being a mad doctor and that they could get away with it. Every company is different but I have some knowledge of the action figure business from talking with friends at a few companies. traditionally a figure line had 4 slots per wave and there would be 2 anchor characters, a supporting character, and an obscure character to wave. The obscure usually had a variant so collectors would but two. If DS were using a similar model we might get more obscure characters. It's been explained why they're not for fear they wouldn't get out all the biggies. It would, however, be nice if a slot in the final wave could be reserved for a fan favorite character.

I would love to see a WB line up if only to merit getting the Vampire's daughter (Bela was the Vampire) from Mark of the Vampire. She is much more interesting looking than the Universal Dracula Daughter.

If you're going to go in the 3 3/4 scale I'd rather have PVCs. That way you could get more characters you couldn't in any other line up because people would buy for whatever film the box set is from. The mini mates are like this but they aren't likeness figures like a PVC or action figure are.

Haunted hearse

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
I saw nothing uninteresting about Holden and her portrayal.  However, I think a two pack, which would include both Bela and Luna, would be great.  By the way, speaking of non-universal, I think the Addams family have seen a number of figures released over the years, including a deluxe Barbie and Ken set, as well as Madame Alexander. 
What ever happened to my Transylvania Twist?

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
I saw nothing uninteresting about Holden and her portrayal.  However, I think a two pack, which would include both Bela and Luna, would be great. 

I would be all over this... in any size. 

WilliamHenryPratt

• New Recruit
  • There are far worse things awaiting man than death
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
Thats what she said.
"What kind of animals are there around here that can kill people...?"

aura of foreboding

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
 u6juu

;)

Mord

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
There is an incredible 12" figure of Karloff as Fu Manchu available right now from Executive Replicas. Licensed by Sara Karloff, 100 piece edition.... $200.